Problems with inconsistency

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add to seeing if it is shooter discomfort a trick a friend recently told me about is have your buddy load your gun with a dumby round and have them watch for your flinch or movement

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years back had the same problem, had bought remington shell cause they were on sale,long story shorter, wife and I both couldn t , hit anything with a box of shells each, then when we ran out of those went and bought federals, and three shots later had both our deer, and my son found the same ting later on and couldn t hit anything with a whole box of something else, now all of us know to just use Federal in a Savage

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add to seeing if it is shooter discomfort a trick a friend recently told me about is have your buddy load your gun with a dumby round and have them watch for your flinch or movement

over the years I have seen quite a few guys have a spent round in the chamber and almost fall on there face when the gun didn't go off me included. Personally I am a horrible rifle shot when shooting at a target pretty happy with a fist sized group.
my ruger 2506 used to shoot the first 2 bullets good after that it was all over the place. I had the barrel floated and haven't had a problem since. I shoot 117 grain hornady light mags with good results.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know many of 25-06 have been traded in because they wouldn't group well

fishhooker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried sighting my sako 2506 with the hornady superperformance 117 gr. bullits,, and I had the same results you are talking about,,7 to 10 inch groups at 100 yards... tried some reloads and found out the hornadys weren't made for this particular rifle as the reloads shot very well,

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a howa package a couple of years ago and the nikko sterling scope that was on it was bad right out of the box, I had the gun for 6 months before i took it out to shoot it and couldn't get it to group at all and ended up putting it on a bench rest and using a bore sight figured out that the windage adjustment was doing nothing, long story short I sent it back to howa and they shipped me a new one, took about 2 weeks

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a very similar issue once and it was the scope. Switched scopes and issue resolved.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I agree that guns tend to like a particular load, and you should try a few, I don't think that would create the wild inconsistencies (missing the paper) that you reported.

Most likely the scope, rings, or bases. I would try it with a known-good scope.

The other thing to check is that the action screws are properly torqued and the barrel is free-floating. It was not on the Rem 700 I bought 2 years ago. I had to sand it quite a bit to get it to float with my suppressor on. Inconsistent pressure on the barrel causes inconsistency.

I think your suppressor weight comment is what's giving my 6.5-284 fits. I'm noticing contact if I apply enough pressure when shooting off the bipod. looks like I have a little work to do. Thanks for the idea.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thought I would give an update on what is going on with the rifle issue.

Rifle was sent to Scheels in Omaha because that is where they do the work on Remingtons. Rifle came back last week. Like I said before, I am not very knowledgeable on guns, and I wish I would've taken a picture of the receipt when it came back to give you guys the full details. They ended up taking 3/8" off the muzzle and rotating something 90degrees. Labor for that was 65$. Labor for 2.5hrs of range time while they shot the rifle to check it was 110$. 37$ in shipping costs put it around 215$ total.

They said causes could have been shooting bad ammo through it (they specifically mentioned hand loads), or dropping it or knocking it against something hard. I also wish I would have taken pictures of the rifle before sending it in, it was flawless, no marks or damage anywhere. So basically my word against theirs that I invoked the damage. The rifle has never been dropped or hit on something hard.

I was told at the time I sent it in, if it is a warranty thing, all I would have to pay for would be shipping. Turns out Remington only has a 2 year warranty. Long story short, now I feel as if I am stuck with a 200$ bill for something that was bad out of the box. Probably my fault for not shooting it more right away when I bought it and realizing the issue before the 2 years was up. I feel bad for getting angry with Scheels, when they are just the middle man. What do you guys think? Should Remington fix the rifle for free?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the crown being dinged up will do that. which it could have been that way right away. What did they rotate 90 degrees .

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Next time I talk with them or go in, I will get the notes word for word. I am just drawing a blank on what they rotated, sorry.

Honestly if it was my fault, I would have no problem owning it and paying to fix it. But I don't feel like I should have to pay to fix something that was wrong from the get go. Might have to though, just because of how long I waited.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they rotated the barrel 90 degrees all the lettering and caliber stamping should be moved. If its in the same location then they did'nt do anything.

Fordboy

I have a 700 in 22-250. Bought some Hornady v max to sight it in. Couldn't hit the paper twice in a row at 100 yards. My brother had the same problem. Bought cheap federal shells and half inch groups at 100 yards. You couldn't pay me enough to shoot Hornady ever again

Fordboy

The v max were tumbling on me. I will have to look on my old phone and find the picture of the tear in the target

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Rifle was sent to Scheels in Omaha because that is where they do the work on Remingtons. Rifle came back last week. Like I said before, I am not very knowledgeable on guns, and I wish I would've taken a picture of the receipt when it came back to give you guys the full details. They ended up taking 3/8" off the muzzle and rotating something 90degrees. Labor for that was 65$. Labor for 2.5hrs of range time while they shot the rifle to check it was 110$. 37$ in shipping costs put it around 215$ total.

They said causes could have been shooting bad ammo through it (they specifically mentioned hand loads), or dropping it or knocking it against something hard. I also wish I would have taken pictures of the rifle before sending it in, it was flawless, no marks or damage anywhere. So basically my word against theirs that I invoked the damage. The rifle has never been dropped or hit on something hard.

I was told at the time I sent it in, if it is a warranty thing, all I would have to pay for would be shipping. Turns out Remington only has a 2 year warranty. Long story short, now I feel as if I am stuck with a 200$ bill for something that was bad out of the box. Probably my fault for not shooting it more right away when I bought it and realizing the issue before the 2 years was up. I feel bad for getting angry with Scheels, when they are just the middle man. What do you guys think? Should Remington fix the rifle for free?

If it was me I'm send an email to Remington and let them know what happened. Tell them what Schools told you, what they did and how much they charged you. I'll bet Remington finds a way to help you out.

I think Shceels took advantage of you and wayyyyyy overcharged you for something that Remington would have done for free.

So how does it shoot now? Get a couple of $15 sandbags and have a buddy that's a good shooter put some rounds through it and see if it's any better.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why were they tumbling. Not heavy bullets not long distance. And to tumble at 100 yards is almost un heard off. I have shot the different vmax through more different .223 cal rifles than can be remembered and never a problem.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have not picked the rifle up yet nor shot it so I am not sure if it shoots better or not. Right now, after reading and hearing people having problems with Hornady ammo, I'm thinking that might have something to do with it? Like I said, rifle has never been dropped or banged around. Only has 4-5 boxes of Hornady Suprformance through it. So if it wasn't bad out of the box, then could the ammo cause problems with the muzzle/crown?

Another thing that really bothers me is that Scheels nor the gunsmith they sent it to bothered to call me once they found the problem. They just went straight ahead with fixing it. Its akin to taking your car in for a diagnosis, only for the shop to take it upon themselves to fix the problem and charge you 2000$.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member

There should not have been any damage at the muzzle from reloads. The probably re-crowned it if you damaged by rocks on floor board or dinged it on something that fee is your responsibility. I have had the same problem right out of the box with factory rifles. I usually start by installing timney trigger, free float barrel, and bed action. If you are getting inconsistent pattern then it may be the crown was dinged. You should of shot several brands of ammo and bullet weights. I have custom rifles that don't like a certain bullet or weight and the quality of barrel and workmanship is way higher on those rifles that on a factory rifle.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok fellas I finally got some more information from Scheels and the gunsmith. They did not rotate anything, that was my mistake, must have read the ticket wrong.

Turns out there was severe pitting in the end of the barrel. That was the reason for trimming the muzzle and recrowning.

I still think it was bad out of the box because it was inconsistent from the start. However, maybe things I did or didn't do played a hand in how severe the pitting got? I always cleaned it after shooting and inspected it before shooting. Never saw any rust or anything on or in the barrel. What else would cause pitting? Is that where the bad ammo would play a role?

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking I am just going to have to eat this one. Should have taken it in right away when I first noticed the inconsistency.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88