Property taxes

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes dB there is land taxable on reservations. That's the land you need a state hunting license, and tribal allotments are not taxed.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bottom line is the state is taking in far more annually than they need. I mean a huge amount more. They have tens of billions hoarded away in numerous funds. Many of which very few people even know about. Ten or fifteen years ago when we had the vote to repeal, even former governor Schaefer said doing away with them wasn’t going to be a financial concern. And at that time the state didn’t have these billions hoarded away yet nor did they have near the annual cash input that they’ve been seeing. So we are even far better off financially to end property taxes. So do away with them. And in twenty years if the drunken fools think they absolutely have to reinstate them then we can have that discussion. The raping and pillaging was a huge contributor to the term limits just passed.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on board with abolishing last time. I've since changed my mind. Maybe elaborate more when I have time.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am for capping sales tax at 5% -- 1% for city/county 4% for state. I

Property tax Johnr already gave his 2 cents earlier ---- i think its a good wake up call to keep govt in check.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
eye:

As i have spent more time on the internet than i intended to do there i find large dollar numbers, 380 million surplus i believe in the general account alone plus previous years surplus and then large sums of monies that are in funds from the federal gov. This plus billions in the legacy account and the list goes on. Money has come in, in numbers never thought would happen with a ton from the oil fields and the federal gov. Bank of ND must have billions of state funds setting in their bank for relending and they still take the bank's profit for the general account.

I feel the state is well off financially but maybe not enough concern for you and me and are well-being. When is enough. It seems when one starts getting monies then there is no limit on what one wants in monies. Security.

If i was in Bismarck this winter my lips would be chopping on that monies for all kinds of new projects, salaries, employment and maybe little thought on cutting.
The people of ND, including me, need to get a better understanding on what is going on to control those in charge. It is just unbelievable for me. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In 2011 the BND had a little over 4 billion in deposits and that has grown to a little over 8 billion in 2021,
Our current 2-year state budget is 17 billion and for 2009-2011 it was 7.7 billion. db

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe we could "pile rocks" on section lines, call it "ART" and get paid for it. Like Grand Forks did. Some politician relative got paid well I am sure. LB The closer to Christmas I get the "green'er" I get, f--king grinchy. LB

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am very pro limited government, so its hard for me to understand why someone would want to keep a tax when our government spends countless hours trying to figure how to waste all the money we give them. And yes, some taxes are need.

I could equate it to your boss coming to you and saying I think you deserve a 5% raise (insert what % you want for this example). You say back to him, absolutely not! I think you need that money more than I do. Keep in mind our government is not a small business, so please don't equate our government to a small business.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back a few years ago when we still lived in ND, I caught one of our legislator's and asked him about the State buying down the property tax dollars for the school if I remember correctly, (strokes mess with my memory).
He was telling me I should be happy the State is spending "their" monies to buy down our property tax. I told him the State has no monies, as it is all the citizens monies. He left rather quickly when I brought that up.
One thing that torques me about taxes, no matter where you live, all they have to do is say it is for the kids and the kids need it, bla bla bla and it often passes. We had an old square school house and we learned. Now they have to have the fancy buildings and how many gyms and auditoriums because we have to build it nicer than the next school district. Keeping up with the Joneses so to speak.

bilbo

Honored Member
I am reading a lot and there seems to be a lot of SENSITIVITY. It's not good so close to Christmas please spread the LOVE and goodwill to all.

Oh and at some point in time there will have to be a correction in taxing of the citizenry. It can't go on like it is. GF has $80,000 pile of rocks on S 42nd St. supposed to be art.
How about the sperm lights downtown? I can’t remember what they cost but I remember being…surprised.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2011 the BND had a little over 4 billion in deposits and that has grown to a little over 8 billion in 2021,
Our current 2-year state budget is 17 billion and for 2009-2011 it was 7.7 billion. db
boom nail on the head --- a person has to say to himself -- what have i gained from our state government. What was i missing and what do i have now that i didnt then? Road work but that is done alot with fed money.

gillraker

Back a few years ago when we still lived in ND, I caught one of our legislator's and asked him about the State buying down the property tax dollars for the school if I remember correctly, (strokes mess with my memory).
He was telling me I should be happy the State is spending "their" monies to buy down our property tax. I told him the State has no monies, as it is all the citizens monies. He left rather quickly when I brought that up.
One thing that torques me about taxes, no matter where you live, all they have to do is say it is for the kids and the kids need it, bla bla bla and it often passes. We had an old square school house and we learned. Now they have to have the fancy buildings and how many gyms and auditoriums because we have to build it nicer than the next school district. Keeping up with the Joneses so to speak.
Exactly right Sir! Monies for the "kids" school. Most teachers are paid shit. It's the fat cats in the high administration lining their pockets, along with the waste you pointed all, gymnasiums , auditoriums and such. Its a proven fact, they keep wanting more money for schools and the children are less educated every year. Nothing but a tax money grab, and gullible people keep falling for it....

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very pro limited government, so its hard for me to understand why someone would want to keep a tax when our government spends countless hours trying to figure how to waste all the money we give them. And yes, some taxes are need.

I could equate it to your boss coming to you and saying I think you deserve a 5% raise (insert what % you want for this example). You say back to him, absolutely not! I think you need that money more than I do. Keep in mind our government is not a small business, so please don't equate our government to a small business.
Some want to keep the tax because THEY DON'T PAY ANY PROPERTY TAX. They believe the state will then INCEREASE OTHER TAXES to make up for it and then they'll pay more.

So let me equate it to your example. Your boss comes to you and .your coworkers saying that some of you deserve a raise but he's not paying. For those that get the raise it will come out of their coworker's pay.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because it was generally endorsed by the people that pay into it for the reasons it was originally setup, the future of this state and all of our kids who choose to stick around. The people that pay into it NEVER intended for you to get a fucking dime, that would change their support in a major way.
Have you ever given an ounce of thought to those of us that had to put up with the shit show the oil boom brought to the state but had no direct benefit from it? The oil boom resulted in higher prices on many things like property taxes, rent, land, houses, vehicles, equipment, the list goes on and on. The " select few you talk about " benefited greatly at the cost and misery of others.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like Gunsmoke. Current show, as with most, i have seen countless times. 11/57. Rancher said 12 Crow braves came and took his wife. But Chester Goode finds these flowers and the story goes on.

The one i really enjoy is this old guy was a pool shark. Beats a big shot in Dodge for a lot of monies. Big shot gets a ringer from Nebraska to get his monies back. Young couple he was traveling with, the kid bets against him so he loss on purpose. In the end the old guy gets the young lady. Great show. Just like playing darts.

Always bury the ones they kill in this show as soon as they were dead. db
Matt Dillion would rank #1 in the list of serial killers.

During the 20-year span of CBS’s Gunsmoke series, the count ranges from 138 men and seven women to 303 people. If you add in the ones U.S. Marshal Matt Dillon capped in the made-for-TV movies, the total is 407. Some of those bad guys might have only been wounded, and some might have died of their wounds later.

I still watch at least one episode every night before I go to bed.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some want to keep the tax because THEY DON'T PAY ANY PROPERTY TAX. They believe the state will then INCEREASE OTHER TAXES to make up for it and then they'll pay more.

So let me equate it to your example. Your boss comes to you and .your coworkers saying that some of you deserve a raise but he's not paying. For those that get the raise it will come out of their coworker's pay.
What is the percentage of adults in ND that don't pay for where they live? I would think it would be less than 15%. But I could be wrong. As far as them raising other taxes.....if thats what they think is in the best interest for the people, they can go ahead and try. Thats why we have elections. But in the mean time, while they are trying to figure out a new tax or higher tax, we are not paying property tax.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Love working with math, balance sheets and budgets and in my work life did a lot of that. I am not an accountant.

However, when i see the budget go from 7 billion to 17 billion in 11 years something is happening. So, i had plan to spend a few moments finding out what.
I have found this financial accounting in the state is a huge monster. I will need to spend days to try and understand and then many more days and only touch part of it. I do not think the mind of anyone can put it all together.

I was scared this would happen once i started, not what i wanted, not sure how the legislative people in Bismarck can get a hold of it and understand and Gunsmoke comes on about 7-8 times each day and that is a lot easier on the mind to comprehend. Maybe tomorrow will decide to go at it some more.
But i doubt it and will leave it to those who want monies for whatever with their personal agendas. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11