Question

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does a person need a business license to do services? Ex mowing, snow removal, sewer jobs. Business would have a name. Thanks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
No!! If you plan to claim any tax stuff, earn over a certain amount ( I forget how much), or create a long term business then yes.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Contact the Secretary of states office to find out whay you need

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
as long as you don't operate under a name other than your birth name you don't need one. you won't need a contractors license if your jobs are under $2500.

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So ex. John Smith mowing service?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think there is any requirement they you get one unless your specific profession requires it. I could be wrong though. From a liability perspective, it's wise to just file LLC articles of incorporation with the SOS though. It's only 1 or 2 pages and cheap.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no requirement but you can file paperwork with the secretary of state to reserve a trade name in the state.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought if a job was over $4,000 you would need a license but you guys know me and my memory so i very well could be wrong again.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am not sure what the question is i guess. i am 99% certain you don't have to register with the SOS unless you choose to form an LLC or register a trade name. i know plenty of people who run businesses and have never done either. however, i guess that doesn't mean it isn't required and nobody cares.

on the other hand, plenty of municipalities require you to get a business license for various reasons. however, i think its only for certain types of businesses and its dependent on the town. i can tell you this... have no business license in my town for any of the 3 "businesses" i operate and nobody has ever said a thing. however, i do have an LLC and trade name registered with the SOS for each. but, that wasn't always the case. again... nobody ever said a thing.

one caveat would be if you have employees or are likely to have to issue 1099s to anyone. then i think you would want an Employee Identification Number. that requires registering with the state and the feds.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are going to want to get a general liability insurance policy. When something goes wrong it's the best money you ever spent.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You are going to want to get a general liability insurance policy. When something goes wrong it's the best money you ever spent.

If you are doing big projects absolutely. It only takes one unhappy customer to ruin your business financially.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member

Absolutely this ^^^^^^ :;:thumbsup Way to think of this JR but in your business you would!
Always someone out there that wants to sue.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 89
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33