R U A traditional or commercial christian?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Christianity is in decline in the United States because of the separation of faith in our children's daily life.

I had religion beat into me as a child. Not literally, but the constant bible thumping, church-going, religious music listening and overall "God is everything" mentality just burned me out. I once witnessed by father break down because the Christian radio station he was listening to went out during a trip.

Am I a better person today because I went to Sunday school every week through confirmation? I don't know. In God's eyes, maybe. But I feel like I'm just as honest/dishonest, kind/mean, humble/arrogant, generous/selfish, loving/hating person as I may have always been.

We had our son baptized, but have never gone back to church. He's a smart, funny, loving, kind little twerp. I feel guilty not taking him to Church, but then again I remember what I went through. Should I force religion on a child who can't count past 10? Can I introduce it to him sometime as a choice that he can make when he's ready? What's wrong with just leading by example, and trying to raise a decent human being who cares about others, wants to work hard and not be a leach on society?

I'm pretty envious of folks who truly enjoy going to church. I've never been in one that didn't make me feel uncomfortable. Actually, I take that back. The small church my grandparents attend in rural Fergus Falls is great. Tiny congregation. In the middle of nowhere. You can hear each, individual voice when they sing or pray. People are genuinely kind to one another and ask about their day (because they're all neighbors and have known each other's families for generations).

I didn't know a fraction of the folks that attended the church I went to as a kid. Always felt like a stranger there.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO, Duck100 the boy needs to go to church now and again. In fact we all should if we pray to Jesus Christ. If we don't we're going to be dead or praying to a child molester who avenges his offense with suicide vests.

Or let it go, begin lawsuits on Christmas and continue to degenerate.

Last edited:

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was born into a christian family and went to church every sunday as long as i lived with my mom( Dad was not christian till late in life)
I grew up hating being forced into all the church stuff and i turned me off of church for many years. Once i moved away for college it was the farthest thing from my mind. After college moved back to Minot and just went to work. Still never gave church a second thought. Met the woman who is now my bride and she had much the same story. After we dated about a year We started going back to church and becoming more active in religious activities. Both of our daughters are baptized and sit with us on sunday in the front of the church. Yes we are that family that brings a baby to church. I will do my best to raise my girls as Christians and to keep them from following my footsteps. I dont want to push them out of the church as I was pushed. I hope they grow up a lot wiser then their old man.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Ooops sorry, what I should have said is........
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all... and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2004, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "America" in the Western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual orientation of the wishee.
This wish is limited to the customary and usual good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first."Holiday" is not intended to, nor shall it be considered, limited to the usual Judeo-Christian celebrations or observances, or to such activities of any organized or ad hoc religious community, group, individual or belief (or lack thereof).
DISCLAIMER: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting the following terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher at any time, for any reason or for no reason at all. This greeting is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. This greeting implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for the wishee, him/herself or others, or responsibility for the consequences which may arise from the implementation or non-implementation of same.
This greeting is void where prohibited by law.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has almost gotten to that point MM. Sad times.

I made an insistence of saying Merry Christmas to everyone I come across for the last 2 weeks, and sent out Christmas cards that stated Merry Christmas on the card, none of this happy holidays crap from me.

I also put the God back in bless yous, when some one sneezes its a God bless you that comes out of my mouth.
Of course I live in western ND, where we are a bit free'r of the PC police.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any religion is unnecessary. We all have brains for a reason. To use them.

People who can't figure out right from wrong without a guidebook need to look in the mirror and have a long talk with the person looking back.

Most of those who claim to be religious (and no one really knows what's in a persons' heart or head), were brainwashed when they were very young and before they had the tools to make their own decisions. Very few would believe if they waited until they were adults to make that choice.

Just another way to say; "hey I'm better then you because you don't believe the same things as me," and then kill them.

Last edited:

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Religion is declining in this nation on a pace that equals the decline in a willingness to accept responsibility for ones actions.

One can be a good person without religion in their lives, but people that have a strong true faith, believe they are accountable for their choices and actions not only today, but somewhere down the road as well.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's a good post GST. I respect anyone that has a strong true faith. Good people are good people.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any religion is unnecessary. We were all given brains for a reason. To use them. People
who can't figure out right from wrong without a guidebook need to look in the mirror and have a long talk with the person looking back.

Most of those who claim to be religious (and no one really knows what's in a persons' heart or head), were brainwashed when they were very young and before they had the tools to make their own decisions. Very few would believe if they waited to make the choice
when they were adults,

Just another way to say "hey I'm better then you because you don't believe the same things as me." And then kill them.

No.

My brain is better than an animal's. Without guidance, it ain't. There are many right now ready to assert their garbage with violence and weapons. Monkeys use weapons. If you rely upon "society" for a compass you must wonder where society gets it's boundaries. If not, you're the simpleton and currently believe yourself above catastrophe.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately it's easier to not believe, and to think good just happens. The purpose I find in faith is to give me direction in my marriage, actions, and life.
When you believe in a higher being, I find comfort in that, and find life's difficulties easier

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duckslayer100, I try not to give advice where not wanted, since you asked about your 10 year old I will share my experience as my kids are in their 20s now. First, I wouldn't consider making him go to church as forcing religion on him anymore than making him to go to school is forcing education or making him wear a seat belt is forcing safety. Now if you are not a believer than you may not buy that but if you are than I hope it makes sense. I would also suggest finding a church where they approach teaching people of different ages in ways that make sense for them and on their level. A Sunday message appropriate and interesting to a 70 year old is not going to be interesting or understandable to 10 year old. Kids church. Finally, I firmly believe when kids hear dad or mom pray at meal time or other times it is hugely beneficial. I have seen the good that has come from my kids hearing me give thanks for them, for their mother, for our house, friends, health, safety, food, a good fishing trip, etc.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I find interesting and please can someone explain this to me; Why would some say corporal punishment would be ok and support such inhuman treatment to others which then those who oppose such wrong doings can be treated with such disgust. Members who supported corporal punishment would express their faith in God on another topic and some giving thumbs up for stating such a contradiction in personal beliefs. I am sorry if some get upset but I see some talking out of both sides of their mouths. The END

- - - Updated - - -

Religion is declining in this nation on a pace that equals the decline in a willingness to accept responsibility for ones actions.

One can be a good person without religion in their lives, but people that have a strong true faith, believe they are accountable for their choices and actions not only today, but somewhere down the road as well.

What He said x2

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the church one goes to makes a difference in how one thinks of religion later on in life. As I read more and more it becomes clear that the proper way to talk to people about Christianity is to tell them about law and gospel. The law of the old testament should convict you as a sinner if you are honest with yourself. The gospel rescues you. To many of the old churches preached hell,fire, and brimstone. I guess they thought they could literally scare the hell out of people. Today the liberal churches are just as wrong because they preach universalism, and that everyone is going to heaven no matter which religeon, and no matter your actions.
As I said the church makes a difference. I switched a few years ago from a church that was very clique to one where all care about one another. In the first month I had more real friends than I did in 38 years in the very liberal church I had attended. Their kindness is much more genuine.
Some like to portray Christians as killers, but what does the Bible say about killing?

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you that are looking for info on being a Christian I will offer the following:

1) Read & Study the Bible. You can't understand something from a point of ignorance. I tried for many years.
2) Join a "Bible" based church and get INVOLVED.
3) Join a small group and you will reap the rewards of being a Christian far more IMHO
4) Start reading and listening to Rick Warren. He is a down to earth plane spoken guy like most of us.

Merry Christmas!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would reconsider Rick Warren. Read how half truths deceived people in Germany during the 1930's. It may surprise some that political correctness reared it's ugly head back then and misdirected good, but gullible people. I have had a number of Bible classes based on Rick warrens books, like "A purpose driven life", and 40 days ------ can't remember the title.
Mocha I absolutely agree with all your other points. Currently I am starting a two year study of the Apocripha. It covers the history between the old and new testament. One must be very careful reading this and understand it does not carry the authority of the Bible, but does give historical perspective and fills in those blanks. The Apocripha has misled some denominations into a works richeouse Theo!ogy because they gave it Biblical authority.
Enough already, I could write a book on theological misconceptions. As an example I was vice president at a large liberal church and interviewed a pastor that believed all religions were as valid as Christianity. He informed me that because he was trained in Christianity that he would preach Christianity. However he believed that Islam and all other religions were only different paths to heaven.
Just got a tablet, and hate how it changes spelling, and even words. Hope half of this makes sense.

Last edited:

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would reconsider Rick Warren. Read how half truths deceived people in Germany during the 1930's. It may surprise some that political correctness reared it's ugly head back then and misdirected good, but gullible people. I have had a number of Bible classes based on Rick warrens books, like "A purpose driven life", and 40 days ------ can't remember the title.
Mocha I absolutely agree with all your other points. Currently I am starting a two year study of the Apocripha. It covers the history between the old and new testament. One must be very careful reading this and understand it does not carry the authority of the Bible, but does give historical perspective and fills in those blanks. The Apocripha has misled some denominations into a works richeouse Theo!ogy because they gave it Biblical authority.
Enough already, I could write a book on theological misconceptions. As an example I was vice president at a large liberal church and interviewed a pastor that believed all religions were as valid as Christianity. He informed me that because he was trained in Christianity that he would preach Christianity. However he believed that Islam and all other religions were only different paths to heaven.
Just got a tablet, and hate how it changes spelling, and even words. Hope half of this makes sense.

I may be wrong and I may be oversimplifying things but Jesus said Whoever believes in me ( as our Lord and Savior) will have everlasting life.
To me that means buddists, hindus, muslims, ect are out. they do not accept Jesus as Christ.
It also means to me that the Christian religions are saved if their follows truly Believe those words.
to me the differences in Christian faiths boils down to mostly BS politics( I may be wrong but thats how I see it)

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member

PrairieGhost,
Not sure what you are trying to say about Rick Warren. I find his podcasts and other info available through his website very informative and always Bible based. I have never seen, read or heard to the contrary of the Bible from Rick Warren.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mocha I think fishreaper has it right. To me Rick Warren has a theology a little like pastor Joel Osteen, which is you have to jump through certain hoops to be saved. There are many types of misguided theologies that think they have to do something. It's as if they don't think God can do it alone. It was finished for use when Christ on the cross said "it is finished".
Joel Osteen teaches prosperity theology. Give him money and God will reward you even more. If you do that your treating God like a Gene that will grant your wishes. Many of the TV preachers have one scheme or another. I think Rick Warren thinks you need his map to salvation. The extremely liberal church I belonged to in the past loved Rick Warren. Perhaps I just see that as a red flag. That and his buddy Bono.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may be wrong and I may be oversimplifying things but Jesus said Whoever believes in me ( as our Lord and Savior) will have everlasting life.
To me that means buddists, hindus, muslims, ect are out. they do not accept Jesus as Christ.
It also means to me that the Christian religions are saved if their follows truly Believe those words.
to me the differences in Christian faiths boils down to mostly BS politics( I may be wrong but thats how I see it)

What about Mormons? they believe in Jesus, but on a different continent, at a different time, with some different rules.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 117
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 46