R U A traditional or commercial christian?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about Mormons? they believe in Jesus, but on a different continent, at a different time, with some different rules.

I do not know enough about Mormons to say, I also do not want to seem like I am judging those who are not Christians. Its not my place to judge people based on their faith. If people treat me with respect I can get along with about anyone.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In America you can believe what you like, or not believe in anything.
It has in past been okay to joke about Christians, Mormons, jews, atheists, etc. But you sure cannot make fun of a muslim, that is over the line and will not be tolerated, they are a peaceful people, and making fun of them will turn them into suicide bombers?

haha, like the days when I would cut and paste an email that was more of a humor email, with some facts scattered in, and it turned a conservative stanch republican, into a liberal progressive democrat....hahaha

God bless everyone, even you filthy liberals.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not know enough about Mormons to say, I also do not want to seem like I am judging those who are not Christians. Its not my place to judge people based on their faith. If people treat me with respect I can get along with about anyone.

I guess I could ask a Mormon, but they would obviously say they get to go to heaven.

- - - Updated - - -

I think "traditional" is relative and defined by the times....after all, you could go super traditional and not celebrate Christmas at all, whether it be when the Puritans wanted to be more traditional and banned Christmas for 25 years in New England, or from before Christians even adopted the winter festival as their own to celebrate Christ's birth.

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mocha I think fishreaper has it right. To me Rick Warren has a theology a little like pastor Joel Osteen, which is you have to jump through certain hoops to be saved. There are many types of misguided theologies that think they have to do something. It's as if they don't think God can do it alone. It was finished for use when Christ on the cross said "it is finished".
Joel Osteen teaches prosperity theology. Give him money and God will reward you even more. If you do that your treating God like a Gene that will grant your wishes. Many of the TV preachers have one scheme or another. I think Rick Warren thinks you need his map to salvation. The extremely liberal church I belonged to in the past loved Rick Warren. Perhaps I just see that as a red flag. That and his buddy Bono.

PrairieGhost,

I respectfully disagree. Rick Warren in many of his published and broadcast messages says many times that the true gift from God is free. There is no hoops that I have ever seen. I am not saying Rick is perfect but his messages are always Bible based and all we have to do to be saved is believe in Jesus Christ as our savior. IMHO

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are a few holidays that Christians have stole and made there own. I never said I agree with what the people of the church do or say. Im not there to follow the people or listen to the word of man.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my own personal experience, not that anyone asked, I've learned that I'm not a good enough orator or argumentist, to change anyone's mind. I believe what I believe. Pretty simple. I believe in God. I believe in the benefits of going to church. Surrounding myself with like-minded people. In a post above, someone commented about their grandparents' small church in Fergus Falls. I have been to a small Nazarene church there, and if it's the same church, I agree. Nice folks.

Went to a LARGE Lutheran church in Bismarck, from age 10 until I met the woman I'd later marry. We then started attending her small Nazarene church, and fell in love with the place. By the second week I'd been there, I had more real friends than I'd gained in 20 years at that large wealthy church. So I can relate to the "church is a pageant" or "church is money-hungry" or "church is full of double-talkers". But not all churches are like that.

We devote PAGES of texts on this very form to debating the pros and cons of a pickup. Why would you stick with the first church you attend, or why would you stick with one that you aren't connected to? (Keep in mind, like many things, you get out of something what you put into it).

My point in all of this is not to tell anyone what to do, or argue about why one view is better or worse than another. But if you could have seen me "then" and "now" you'd agree that since I became sincere about my faith, I'm far better off than I was. You might even call me selfish, but boy oh boy, am I in a better place than I was.

My two cents.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'll say one thing about Mormons. Their TV and radio adds always have a fantastic message.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once stated to my wife that after all these years of attending Church, seems like we never get any better. Her reply was, "yeah but could you imagine where we'd be if we hadn't." Maybe some truth to that. I don't like going to Church but i usually feel better after I've gone. Kinda like a flu shot.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once stated to my wife that after all these years of attending Church, seems like we never get any better. Her reply was, "yeah but could you imagine where we'd be if we hadn't." Maybe some truth to that. I don't like going to Church but i usually feel better after I've gone. Kinda like a flu shot.

I'm curious, what lead you to the church you currently attend?

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife went there before we got married. I like the Church itself, no complaints there. but it's just how I am.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 49