Range finder help..

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the market for a range finder. What is a good one? What are some pros/cons about different models?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sig Saer kilo 2000 gets my vote. I paid around 400 bucks. I've seen Cabelas have them on sale for 350. I really like it as it ranges stuff way further away than my bushnel. I do wish it had a more precise aiming dot for ranging stuff really far away instead of just a circle but its not that big of deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what do you want to use the range finder for? bowhunting? rifle? both?

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a vortex, it's ok. I wish I would have spent a little more and got a Leica.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you had a chance to use the sig in the snow does it still range everything fairly easily?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
no I haven't tried it, but I can in the next few days once the wind quits. I know my old bushnell wouldn't. It wouldn't even work on really frosty mornings till the sun melted it.

In the fall with no snow the sig will range stuff way out there. It is tough to hold steady enough to range small targets at long range though but it'll range trees or grassy hill tops out to 800yards very easy.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't tell you much about different models of range finders, but about 8 years ago I was in the market for one. I ended up spending more than I wanted and got a Leica. The only day I questioned my purchase was the day I had to write the check. I have been 100% happy with it ever since. It will frequently range out to 1500 yards and it's worked very well in the winter while hunting coyotes. I'm sure the technology has improved since then and prices are probably lower now, but my advice to you is do your homework and choose quality over price.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Bushnell elite 1600 arc will g to 1600 reflective and hillsides easy. 1200 on animals.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I first went through about five or six Bushnell, then two Leica, then a Swarovski that I still have and now a Sig 2000. The optics are so good in the Swarovski that I often don't carry my binocs. The only thing the Swarovski doesn't have is angle compensation. It will shoot to 1999 yards on rocks, pine trees etc. The Sig 2000 will do about the same on rocks and hill sides, but on buildings and bright rocks I have reached as far as 3215 yards. No matter how reflective the Swarovski stops at 1999.
One thing I have noticed is if your rangefinder will shoot through your car windshield and give you a reading to 200 or 300 yards then it will not range well on snow. My theory is the wave length of the light used. There must be some variability. I think if it penetrates the windshield then it also penetrates snow rather than reflecting off it. Offhand I can't tell you how far the Swarovski and Sig range on snow, but I know it's out beyond 600 yards which I just ranged out my open house window.

Oh, I did have three Nikons also. I bought those as backup and because they had angle compensation. The first two had very little range, so I spent $369 for the Rifleman 1000. They should have called it the pistol man 450. I can't recommend a Nikon at all.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sig Saer kilo 2000 gets my vote. I paid around 400 bucks. I've seen Cabelas have them on sale for 350. I really like it as it ranges stuff way further away than my bushnel. I do wish it had a more precise aiming dot for ranging stuff really far away instead of just a circle but its not that big of deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what do you want to use the range finder for? bowhunting? rifle? both?

The sig is an awesome rangefinder. I had a vortex 1500 that I sold to buy the sig. I loved the size and reputation of the vortex, but the quality just wasn't there. I had trouble getting ranges beyond 500 yards with the vortex. The sig will get ranges out to 2000+ within seconds. Even on non-reflective targets, the sig is still getting accurate ranges out to 1200+.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy of mine has a fancy range finder and he would range things then ask me how far away it was. I can get within 20 yards one way or the other and he asked my how the hell can you do that? I told him back in the mid 70,s construction was slow and fur prices were good so I had to shoot to eat. You get better if your belly is empty.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buy a Leica and cry once. I have heard good things about the Sigs but haven't been around long enough for me. The G7 is great if you have the extra coin and want the ballistic calculations. A friend has a high dollar sniper range finder that goes to about 4,000 yds and it cost about a buck a yard.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one get a sniper ranger finder that sounds tacticool. Do you have to beat up said sniper and jack his range finder. Probably just a vectronix just any one can buy.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe I got a 'bad' one, but I'm not impressed with my Sig 2000. I've only ever used it over snow, but the best I can get on any target is just over 600 yards. Now that the snow is gone, I'm going to do some further testing. I may end up sending it in since others seem to be getting much better performance out of it.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does one get a sniper ranger finder that sounds tacticool. Do you have to beat up said sniper and jack his range finder. Probably just a vectronix just any one can buy.

It is a vectronix and yes anyone can buy one. The reason I called it a sniper rangefinder my friend takes many wounded warriors on hunting trips and the some the Marine and Seal snipers that help him told him that is the one to get. Oh some of them don't have any arms or legs so he would probably feel bad beating them up and taking their gear. Oh by the way I am helping taking out a group of the Seal snipers prairie dog hunting and fishing this summer so is that tacticool??? It is quite an honor actually!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they recommend a rem 700 it is not a sniper rifle unless they are running it. You were trying to sound cool is all. And that is a nice thing to take those guys out.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're thinking about the Sig take a look at the Kilo 2200. They've made some improvements over the 2000 and reviews are good on it. Suggested retail is around $600 but I'm sure it can be had for cheaper. Also, Camofire.com has been having Leica rangefinders on sale pretty frequently lately so you may want to check them out as well.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Yes, it is the a vetronix and any civilian can buy one. The reason why I called it a sniper range finder I could remember the name but my friend sponsors and takes out wounded wounded warriors and some sniper vets on many hunts all over US. He didn't feel right beating up any of snipers or wounded vets as some of them don't have arms or legs and taking their optics. I am helping him take a group of Seal snipers as well as a Medal of Honor recipient prairie dog hunting and fishing this summer and don't know if you would consider it "tacticool" as I consider it an great honor.

- - - Updated - - -

If they recommend a rem 700 it is not a sniper rifle unless they are running it. You were trying to sound cool is all. And that is a nice thing to take those guys out.

I wasn't trying to sound cool or impress anyone just trying to help the guy buy a range finder and let him know what is out there and capabilities.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90