Rapala cranks

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a rapala fisherman and have been noticing that many of my lures are not tuned out of the box. I have also noticed that the balsa wood seems to be of lower quality than in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? I have gone through over 300 dollars worth of cranks this spring mostly due to pike destroying them but have had many lures swimming cockeyed straight out of the box. I also have had shad raps break right down the middle and the balsa wood feels too soft inside.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have so many older ones I bought about three years ago they are working fine. My son got me a bunch for Father's Day we'll see. It does seem the quality of just about everything now days seems to be lacking.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
My countdowns are the worst out of the box. I have had to tune the front and the tails. Tuning is about as an exact science as long range shooting without a range finder. Also the tails seem to blow out the side way to easy.

TVolkZV

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been having problems with Rapala lures as well lately with the hooks loops getting really bent or straight ripped out which might be the quality of the balsa, and their price over the years is just getting too high for me 8 bucks for a #5 CD is just out of control IMO.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya. Scheels has shad raps for 6 bucks right now.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
With any product.. ... New and improved = Cheaper n not the same..... Upgrade = downgrade

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the glue is not as good too on the raps.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
have hundreds of them and they aren't very productive[/QUOTE

Really... I have heard it all now. And to make it worse you are a sak fisherman where shad raps rule. Oh boy...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best thing a guy can do is save the broken, crappy raps and send them in for new ones.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha i saved them all this year. I have a box full of mangled raps.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
have hundreds of them and they aren't very productive[/QUOTE

Really... I have heard it all now. And to make it worse you are a sak fisherman where shad raps rule. Oh boy...
hate to break it to you but reef runners rule on the big lake. At least out west. out catch my shad raps 50-1. finally just quit running em.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a rapala fisherman and have been noticing that many of my lures are not tuned out of the box. I have also noticed that the balsa wood seems to be of lower quality than in the past. Has anyone else experienced this? I have gone through over 300 dollars worth of cranks this spring mostly due to pike destroying them but have had many lures swimming
straight out of the box. I also have had shad raps break right down the middle and the balsa wood feels too soft inside.

I hate cockeyed crankbaits. Seems the flickershads have got better the last couple years. Most run straight out of the box

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did someone mention a lure built by father and granfather era to be ruined by an era that all they care about is using an idea and taking the quality out of it. Me kme me me gen

Rack chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'll thanks for all the reports on cranks. I just started using them the last couple years (reefs flicker shads flicker minnows and shad raps). My question though is. How do u tune a crank? I have about 100 and I notice it to with a few of mine some swim cockeyed.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'll thanks for all the reports on cranks. I just started using them the last couple years (reefs flicker shads flicker minnows and shad raps). My question though is. How do u tune a crank? I have about 100 and I notice it to with a few of mine some swim cockeyed.

Reef Runner's "Tune-A-Fish" tool is IMO the easiest tool to use. You bend the loop in the lip in the opposite direction of the crank's deviation from straight.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76