Retaining Wall Block fireplace??

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys,,

looking for some input.. Building a fireplace for the backyard..Thinking about using a tractor rim and dressing it up with some retaining wall blocks around the outside. My concern is that the blocks will crack from the heat or worse-blow up.. anyone have any experience building one and how it held up over time? dont wanna spend a hundred buck on brick and have them crumble in a year... Or if any of you have any other kind of fireplace design that a average joe like myself could build iam all ears.., Main concern is being able to cook on the fire, so will have to fabricate some sort of grate system..

Thanks in advance

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My parents built one using the same plan you're thinking of using. still there eight years later.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
l used the same setup and put cinder blocks around it and they are cracking a falling apart after 1 year. These are the run of the mill blocks and NOT the high temp jobs you can get. Mine were free, so that's what I used.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
They make a block without the lip so they fit flush. Then use a landscape glue for blocks. I have a deck that is 20 years old and has not shifted 1/4 inch. I also built a fireplace four years ago and cook in it often. No plans just drew it up from scratch. 0730120919.jpgThis spring I added 12 inches so it draws smoke better. To much smoke in the grandkids eyes when they make smores.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I interned with a guy in the cities a while back. He had a brick oven that we cooked pizzas in. Not sure if it was the homemade dough or the oven itself, but every pizza has paled in comparison since. I want to build one badly but will wait til the next house.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto here with retaining wall blocks. No issues after a few years. I see Menards has a 11% sale on now so you could save some coin there although you wouldn't need a huge number for just around a tractor rim.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built one last year had a rim in the ground built around it with land scape blocks and landscape glue.That is a firepit not fireplace.Burnt some pretty hot fires. No deterioration on the block from the heat on mine

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys,,

looking for some input.. Building a fireplace for the backyard..Thinking about using a tractor rim and dressing it up with some retaining wall blocks around the outside. My concern is that the blocks will crack from the heat or worse-blow up.. anyone have any experience building one and how it held up over time? dont wanna spend a hundred buck on brick and have them crumble in a year... Or if any of you have any other kind of fireplace design that a average joe like myself could build iam all ears.., Main concern is being able to cook on the fire, so will have to fabricate some sort of grate system..

Thanks in advance

My neighbor did this.... In between the tractor tire and the blocks add a layer of 1" to 1.5" rock as an insulation layer. He has had his fire pit going on four years with this setup.

I added some blocks across the bottom of the pit and the fire ring sitting on top of the retaining wall blocks, then added in 4" of 1" aggregate rock inside. Now, when the ash remains it just sifts down in between the blocks and allows for some air/ventilation and makes for less ash removal. The ventilation down below is the key to keeping a fire going longer and hotter.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure when my fire pit falls completely apart, this is my next one.
I put one together like that this summer for my daughter-in-laws birthday. My son (her husband) was in the hospital for five months. After being on a resuscitator for 65 days and unable to talk for three months I thought they both needed a tiny bit of something to look forward to. I sure hope they get to use it this spring. Menards put the whole kit together for me for a little over $200.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11