Roast duck?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guyz that pluck your birds and roast them whole,mind sharing your recipe? Been years for me,it has been bbq on the grill or fillet breast out,cube,wrap cubes in bacon,both excellent ways but i want to give my oven a whirl.

As a kid our roast duck was stuffed with orange and apple slices,best table fare birds were corn fed mallards and wood ducks,

Appreciate input.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pluck, burn the hairs off, stuff cavity with mix of onions, mushrooms, and bread chunks, slide bacon under the skin of the breasts and the thighs. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Seasonall is a good addition as well if you like. Toothpick the skin in place to prevent it from receding and exposing the meat during the roasting process. Bake it at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half for med rare moist and flavorful meat. Good Eats!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pluck, burn the hairs off, stuff cavity with mix of onions, mushrooms, and bread chunks, slide bacon under the skin of the breasts and the thighs. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Seasonall is a good addition as well if you like. Toothpick the skin in place to prevent it from receding and exposing the meat during the roasting process. Bake it at 350 for an hour to an hour and a half for med rare moist and flavorful meat. Good Eats!
🥲

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anybody still use one of these......or just me?
Roaster.jpg

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only like the Mallards whole as written above stuff with apples and oranges season roast medium rare. KDM recipe above does sound a lot better. Rest of ducks take breast only make jerky and or wrap bacon and jalapeno's and few other options too. Goose has really turned my taste buds bad as in not so good table fare. Just really fun to shoot.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only like the Mallards whole as written above stuff with apples and oranges season roast medium rare. KDM recipe above does sound a lot better. Rest of ducks take breast only make jerky and or wrap bacon and jalapeno's and few other options too. Goose has really turned my taste buds bad as in not so good table fare. Just really fun to shoot.
I agree with you on Canada geese but snows and specs are way more tasty.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spatchcock the plucked bird (cut out the backbone and press the carcass flat)
Gently score top layer of skin to get fat rendering
Salt and pepper both sides
Skin side down on a hot grill, preferably charcoal, 7 or so minutes for a mallard
Flip to indirect heat and cook to your liking

Only method I've used that gives consistently crispy skin

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have friends like that. I make all kinds of different ducks and tell them they are mallards and break the news after the fact they are not. Its all in the head if cooked right they are all good. Made a pastalya last year with coots and every one loved it the look on their face was priceless when i showed them the pictures of the coots being prepared.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spatchcock the plucked bird (cut out the backbone and press the carcass flat)
Gently score top layer of skin to get fat rendering
Salt and pepper both sides
Skin side down on a hot grill, preferably charcoal, 7 or so minutes for a mallard
Flip to indirect heat and cook to your liking

Only method I've used that gives consistently crispy skin
Great idea,i spatch ,grill chicken all summer,never gave spatching a duck a thought,maybe add Jamaican jerk seasoning,its on for sunday afternoon football games unless weather f's things up,more snow possible.

KDM's recipe sounds good,

What about soaking in a brine? I usually soak breast fillets in coke over night,draws blood and tenderizes as well,

Another tip from chipped teeth on steel shot,unless you scatter gunners make head shots, handheld stud/metal locator,worth the $20 bucks,funny watching our crew pass the thing around dinner table,makes for conversation and laughs.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had roast duck in a little Cafe in Belfast Ireland, and I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. My wife was very skeptical about it. And she really like it to. It was by far the best meal we had in 10 days in Ireland.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if I'm eating wild duck we simply cut breasts into strips (across the grain), dredge in seasoned flour, pan fry in oil to medium (no further!!!) with onions/shrooms

Fantastic.

Once you cross that fine line (in doneness) with duck - you are skeeroo'd

Goes from wonderful/moist to dry/powdery/livery/gross in about a minute's time (20 degrees)

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
if I'm eating wild duck we simply cut breasts into strips (across the grain), dredge in seasoned flour, pan fry in oil to medium (no further!!!) with onions/shrooms

Fantastic.

Once you cross that fine line (in doneness) with duck - you are skeeroo'd

Goes from wonderful/moist to dry/powdery/livery/gross in about a minute's time (20 degrees)
I suspect you like eating liver as well,might add pass the ketchup. Lol

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93