Roast duck?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suspect you like eating liver as well,might add pass the ketchup. Lol
Yeah - I'm a true neanderthal in the food/cooking dept.

Also - you guessed wrong... not a fan of liver. Maybe you missed the last line of my post.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have friends like that. I make all kinds of different ducks and tell them they are mallards and break the news after the fact they are not. Its all in the head if cooked right they are all good. Made a pastalya last year with coots and every one loved it the look on their face was priceless when i showed them the pictures of the coots being prepared.
I can really tell when roasted by themselfs never made them any other way. Not a fine cook by any means like my wild game simple I guess, might have to have wife make fancy way.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
coat with olive oil salt pepper a little johneys, bake at 420 for 1 hour this is for mallard sized ducks, spoonys and teal about 45 minutes.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bad beef liver would be in the same category at roasted duck

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody had duck confit?

I have (once) and it's amazing.
1698548855302.png

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your plucked mallard is done, it's over done. Not medium rare. But medium for sure. Seasoned. Stuffed like mentioned above. 400 so the skin crisps. Slightly pink center. Like a steak, get it room temp first.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does the above compare with a medium rare chicken breast?

(I've given all the (y) for sharing knowledge.)

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good call,old hunting buddy who passed away years ago claimed coffee grounds encrusted skin on goose,bbq was killer,i never tried it but maybe now,hell if it sucks one can shit can it.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roast mallard is about the only reason I chase them anymore and bother with the NR infestation. Hard to beat a fatty mallard.

duck.jpg
Those look fantastic Zoops. Musta shot them in a better spot than I typically do! Nice and clean 😊

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had roast duck in a little Cafe in Belfast Ireland, and I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. My wife was very skeptical about it. And she really like it to. It was by far the best meal we had in 10 days in Ireland.
Was it wild duck or domestic duck? There is a world of difference IMO. Wild is much better.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All previous joking about weight loss aside, Does anyone roast waterfowl in a "cook-in bag"?

How about perched up on a rack in the roaster with a bit of beef-broth in the bottom of the roaster to add flavor and keep things moist?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really need to make up some duck again, only way lately is a store bought beings I haven't made time to get out for quite a while. My daughters have always liked it and my youngest always get excited for it. When I say I'm going to make something fun she always say "Duck!" then is disappointed when I say its something else. Guess that is a hint for dad huh.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i do mine on a rack above a pan to catch the drippings with just enough water in the pan so that the drippings don't burn onto the pan and start smoking. cooking it to mediumish, i don't really think its in the oven long enough for whatever you might add to the water for it to impart any flavor onto the meat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88