Runnings buys H o E

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7758.png

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, I once loved the HOE in El Forke Grande.

Haven't had one local to me now for 21 years, but it's still kind of sad to see it go. It was the Mac's Hardware of outdoors/farming stores.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a way the HOE I believe was their own demise, what I mean is they refused to expand with the times. Their website doesn't provide you with much substance that helps customers find items they may be willing to purchase. I still didn't understand with all the money they made 20 years ago with the oil boom, the HOE didn't use some of those funds to improve.their online sales. Getting rid of their firearms was also a bad idea since many people throughout the years purchased their firearms and ammo at the HOE Runnings I believe is based out of Minnesota and others like l&m fleet have expanded to meet the demands of potential shoppers.
Oh well improvement and adapting is essential to staying in busnines and I to welcome change when it improves ones community.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
HOE is one of those stores that you had to tour. You just have to take a walk through they always had something unique. But the problem is they needed more uniqueness.

I am still mourning the loss of Dakota Tackle.

Meanwhile here in Fargon the local artic cat dealer closed abrubtly yesterday.

As far as online sales I dont see how a small retailer can compete -- unless if they have something nobody else has. Tough to be in retail imo.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Poorest snow year in years, 20k sleds, not hard to figure out. And Cat doesn’t make desirable Atv or Utv products so things are tough. Lots of this is coming to the toy market. Alumacraft just dumped 100 plus jobs. Cost of living is catching up.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Poorest snow year in years, 20k sleds, not hard to figure out. And Cat doesn’t make desirable Atv or Utv products so things are tough. Lots of this is coming to the toy market. Alumacraft just dumped 100 plus jobs. Cost of living is catching up.
Very true.

bidenomics is showing its greatness all over the place

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Runnings in mobridge is the worst ever but then aberdeen, watertown and bismarks are good. Its tough to beat a good HOE though

Eatsleeptrap

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Runnings website SUCKS right along with the weekly flyer in the paper. Give the damn price. No one gives a shit about the 10% off if they do not know what the price is to begin with. Inventory shows one UTV boom sprayer on hand, run into town to get it, not there, phone still shows it is. And they go through employees like grass through a goose. I think the local one would give Charles Manson a job. Have two HOE within an hour, and hit them if we are in that town. Nice stores, good people. That is probably over.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A website is nice because it allows.a customers to know what the HOE sells and if a certain product is available in your store. Convenience of not having to make a trip only to find out that the store devils lake has it but you are standing in the grafton one. Also manufacturers sell products at a discount price dewalt is one of those that is constantly pushing merchandise out the door with available discounts. Again if a tool isn't available at one store that's on sale it can be shipped to your local store or address. Runnings has all that and more which is the reason why another small town all in one store from Minnesota thrived and one from north dakota didn't. Adapt or die

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
HOE is one of those stores that you had to tour. You just have to take a walk through they always had something unique. But the problem is they needed more uniqueness.

I am still mourning the loss of Dakota Tackle.

As far as online sales I dont see how a small retailer can compete -- unless if they have something nobody else has. Tough to be in retail imo.
The rumor mill has stated John Deere is purchasing Arctic Cat from Textron. I would love that to happen. I'm a die hard Cat fanatic

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rumor mill has stated John Deere is purchasing Arctic Cat from Textron. I would love that to happen. I'm a die hard Cat fanatic
Back in the mid 90s the Thundercats were dominant in the drag races in my home town bragging rights. Some called them tundercats wicked fast on the straights

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like HOE for the non-corporate feel. Hope they don't mess with the GF location's bait vending.
shouldn’t screw that up since Runnings seems to run a decent bait shop in their stores

but one can never underestimate a takeover’s ability to screw up the few things a store’s doing right

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't think I've ever been in a Runnings but i am going to miss Home of Economy,
Of all the potential buyers of HOE, Runnings is about the closest in "feel" as one might hope for. TSC? Yeah, no! It may not be a big negative. At one time I frequented a HOE often when it pertained to the outdoors and tires/batteries/odd candy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 4
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1