Salmon

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty new to the salmon fishing on Sak. When do people start trolling for them?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not do it now? I'm sure there's 6 and 7 year old's to be had. Not sure how far they roam from the dam. Seems to me, you'd find a ball of smelt on your electronics and go from there.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it twice last year but used raps and my downriggers and never caught a salmon but found a good way to catch nice eyes. Anyway, purchased 12lb balls, dodgers, and the squids and want to make a real run at it this year.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Have you had much luck with it svnmag? I have a buddy that started getting into it last year, but no luck. Seems tricky

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 60 ft water 40 ft down with a #11 husky jerk. Trolling large bait balls.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No man, I've never done it. I'm just giving conjecture based upon what I've read and what I'd try. I love threads like this which take fishing down a less beaten path.

(On a med-hvy baitcasting rig; slow roll a white 1 1/2 oz Northland willow leaf spinnerbait it the tailrace. Affix a glow in the dark grub to your trailer hook, let the current do most of the work...I say Northland because it allows the use of a wire leader without modifying the shaft you may not need this leader but it's nice just in case)

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up in MN where we chased suspended walleyes chasing tullibee so that's why I like the open water fishing and salmon seemed like a good idea. The bonus walleyes were accident...at first.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
No man, I've never done it. I'm just giving conjecture based upon what I've read and what I'd try. I love threads like this which take fishing down a less beaten path.

(On a med-hvy baitcasting rig; slow roll a white 1 1/2 oz Northland willow leaf spinnerbait it the tailrace. Affix a glow in the dark grub to your trailer hook, let the current do most of the work...I say Northland because it allows the use of a wire leader without modifying the shaft you may not need this leader but it's nice just in case)

I agree. Love exploring the "other fishing" ... etc ...

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
The water is still cold and salmon eat 24/7, so they can be caught shallow probably until June. I would troll spoons and various bright colored cranks in the lower end of the lake between mallard island and sakakawea state park.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Downrigger. If you got a "thumbs down" it was an accident and I apologize.

RangerNation81

Founding Member
Founding Member
We should plan a weekend and all meet up at the dam and learn together or drink lots of beer one of the two!!

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Few things. It's been a long time since I've fished salmon on Sak. We used to go up to Pick City area a few times a year and always caught fish. We also had a cabin by McKenzie and would fish the mouth area and catch fish. I remember my dad catching a 10 lb or so walleye in over 100 feet of water; not much fun on salmon gear but a nice surprise. My dad died about 11 years ago so I don't have him for advice. Two years ago I was looking at getting back into salmon so I stopped at Dakota Tackle. 30 minutes in there and you will have some very solid advice and the tackle you need.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 207
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 163
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89