Septic question

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
How's that for a title!!;)
Serious question here though, hoping for some insight for any of you in the know.
Thanks in advance! Love this site!
What would be an average number of gallons of Shiite that would need to be pumped each yr..or maybe not need to be pumped each yr?
1. We had a 1500 gallon septic tank system installed at our lake lot late May this year We decided to go with the 1500 gallon for any future cabin build.
2. We(just the better half and I) have a park model type camper on lot.(no washer, disposal hook ups)
3. 90% of the time it is just her an I there on most weekends in the summer.
4. We have our own well for H20. No H20 leaks from any connections.

I just had it pumped as I wanted a ball park figure how full that 1500 would get on what I consider an average summer of usage. The guy who pumped it told me it was about half full..ie 750 gallons..Now I know I am full of Sh*t...but seriously..does that amount sound reasonable for a summer of 2 people using it every other weekend? Or is the guy wanting my business each year? I mean..we have a lake I use to bathe so didn't even use shower all that much.
I did some checking and can understand like a family of 4 ..with teenagers showering multiple times daily using that much.. so.. that's the question.
Is that amount in line with a family of 2 for the summer?
Thanks!

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live on a farm yard with a family of 4 and get mine pumped every 3-4 yrs. Not sure what kind of drain field you have, but use septic safe TP and ridex every 3 months or so and it should last quite a while with only 2 of you and not a year round inhabitance. Try not to flush anything that won't break down and avoid flushing bleach or anything that will kill your bacteria. I also avoid putting cooking oil down the drain.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was gonna ask... do you have a drain field? if so and its functioning, once a year is way too much for a lake lot. and when he says he pumped 750 gallons of shit that can be misleading. if you have 1500 gallon tank and the outlet to the drain field is midway up in that tank, then he is gonna pump 750 gallons out anytime the tank is full enough to be emptying into the field. it ain't all gonna be shit though. most of it is black water. as long as the drain field is functioning, then the sludge level is really all you need to be concerned about. and that shouldn't need attention more than every 2-4 years. now, if you have no drain field, thats a different story... once a year would be minimal... or whenever the shit starts backing up into the cabin or on the lawn. ;)

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
merrychristmasshitterwasfull-1.jpg

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was gonna ask... do you have a drain field? if so and its functioning, once a year is way too much for a lake lot. and when he says he pumped 750 gallons of shit that can be misleading. if you have 1500 gallon tank and the outlet to the drain field is midway up in that tank, then he is gonna pump 750 gallons out anytime the tank is full enough to be emptying into the field. it ain't all gonna be shit though. most of it is black water. as long as the drain field is functioning, then the sludge level is really all you need to be concerned about. and that shouldn't need attention more than every 2-4 years. now, if you have no drain field, thats a different story... once a year would be minimal... or whenever the shit starts backing up into the cabin or on the lawn. ;)

Yeah...I hit the dang POST button before I finished clarifying what I needed to say...fricking dork I am!
At PRESENT TIME, there is NO drain field...and ...since it is Clay soil we will need a mound system if and when we go that route. So..it sounds like 750 gallons of black and grey water for the summer is within reason.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, was going to add....if you have no drain field...that tank will fill up fast with just grey water...so pumping it once a year is going to be a norm if you don't get a drain field installed and you use it alot during the summer months.....be surprised fast a 1000-1500 gal tank will fill up.

I live alone...have a 1000 gal tank...I was told every 3-4 yrs should have it pumped, I know I have a bad drain field and need a new one, so when by chance if my toilet float sticks and runs...I have to pump it out cause it'll take like 3-4 days before it goes down. I need a new drain field..but don't have the 9500 laying around right now to do it...plus..last summer when the city re did my street....they snubbed city sewer and water line to the property, again...I have no funds right now to tap into that system and I more less would like to wait till I get a new home on the lot and right now thats a pipe dream...feels like crap when you can't do what you want....:(

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
$100 once or twice/year is nothing compared to the cost and maintenance of a drain field. Stick with what you got.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah...I hit the dang POST button before I finished clarifying what I needed to say...fricking dork I am!
At PRESENT TIME, there is NO drain field...and ...since it is Clay soil we will need a mound system if and when we go that route. So..it sounds like 750 gallons of black and grey water for the summer is within reason.

In the spring before our campground has the water turned on I’ll haul a 55 gallon food grade barrel full of water for showers, flushing, ect. With just the wife and I trying to be somewhat conservative we will still use nearly all of the water in a weekend. I assume your parkmodel has the toilet with the reservoir on it which will use a little more water than the quick flush campers have, so I would think 70 to 100 gallons per weekend would be on the light side for normal usage.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haul 65 gallons of water each weekend to our lake camper, we have water hook ups but the water is from the lake, not what mrs johnr likes to put through the pipes.
We use all 65 each weekend, and rarely have much left over. This is for 4 of us, and the kids don't shower, and we do usually just once each for the weekend.
Would think you likely are going through that amount. Maybe you could drain your sink water, and shower water onto the lawn, really wouldn't hurt anything. just us your tank for the shit water.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haul 65 gallons of water each weekend to our lake camper, we have water hook ups but the water is from the lake, not what mrs johnr likes to put through the pipes.
We use all 65 each weekend, and rarely have much left over. This is for 4 of us, and the kids don't shower, and we do usually just once each for the weekend.
Would think you likely are going through that amount. Maybe you could drain your sink water, and shower water onto the lawn, really wouldn't hurt anything. just us your tank for the shit water.

I hear what you saying johnr. This little 3 acre piece of property we call Legendville is in northern Mn. The lot gently slopes to our little lake. I THINK the MN Pollution control agency would do more than slap my hands if they ever ventured down our long gravel driveway to see grey water draining on the ground and maybe the lake. Not that they would ever visit but I guess I want to do the right thing. That..and I don't think I can separate the discharge..of course I can pull the grey..or the black..or both..but I just have the one main pvc pipe draining into the septic... There are rules for that even..when they set up my camper to the septic...they were measuring and measuring..I asked them..why they were doing that ..pvc pipe to septic ..I knew it had to slope..gravity..don't want Shiite hung up..hahaha.. but they said the slope had to be 1 and 1/2 inches down per foot of distance..imagine that...regulations for Shiite

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what goes in must come out on your system lol. It all depends on how much you use it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
...they said the slope had to be 1 and 1/2 inches down per foot of distance..imagine that...regulations for Shiite

further proof that, quite literally, you can't Shiite in the woods without a government bureaucrat showing up to tell you you're doing it wrong. #DepartmentofBM

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mexico is like Taiwan. Wipe yer butt then stick it in the garbage can rather than flush due to low tech waste water and plumbing facilities.

I am kind and fold mine. Today I discovered in la Mission for lunch that I am in the minority. Eerp...blech.

#poopytpmakesguysad

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of buttf**k place you staying at #guywhowipeslikeanative?
They few times I've traveled south I sure don't remember garbage can toilets

- - - Updated - - -

I did once sh1t in font of a dozen dudes whilst pheasant hunting, it was a now or never moment, the humiliation was worth it, as walking the half mile back with a sh1tty pants was just not my thingy

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are toilets. But TP shouldn't get flushed.

My daughter who lives here browbeats me into adopting island friendly practices. I'm on a crudish island with el crapo infrastructure.

#savingearthonedoodooatatime

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy might as well just shit in the garbage can it's going to smell just as good.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy might as well just shit in the garbage can it's going to smell just as good.
Please do the experiment and get back to me plz. I am scairt to attempt in 3rd world conditions.

Dengue fever is an issue here. Dengue fever is known as bonebreaker fever. This causes me concern. I brought 5 cans of OFF. Luckily no fever yet, not too many mosquitos. I am taking calcium pills in case my luck turns for the worse. Wags, you can have my legends should I get unlucky.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm good guy I have a working septic at my place. I'll give the Mexicans a little credit atleast they wipe there ass. Better than what u can say about some people in the middle east.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Between the MNDBM and butt wipe trash cans, I think I'll just stay in ND. There's really no good reason to travel outside our borders.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please do the experiment and get back to me plz. I am scairt to attempt in 3rd world conditions.

Dengue fever is an issue here. Dengue fever is known as bonebreaker fever. This causes me concern. I brought 5 cans of OFF. Luckily no fever yet, not too many mosquitos. I am taking calcium pills in case my luck turns for the worse. Wags, you can have my legends should I get unlucky.

hey, thanks!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9