Shoot Through Mesh

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone ever send one sailing through the mesh on their ground blind? Does it affect your accuracy? I usually take mine off when I'm in my blind, but thought maybe it would help to conceal me when I draw my bow.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't taken long shots through mine , last time was about 23 yards at a turkey did not seem to affect accuracy at all , was shooting 3 blade fixed

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have never shot much over 25yds out of any of mine, 3 blade fixed thunderhead. No issues for me

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I have successfully shot deer out of a blind using mesh windows. Like others, the shots were inside 25 yards.

Be sure to practice with your hunting arrow/broadhead setup before going to the field. I first shot at a 3D deer target set 20 yards from my blind and missed the target completely. What I found was the cutting diameter of my broadhead (slick trick) was smaller than the diameter of my fletching (blazer vanes) therefore the hole in the mesh wasn’t large bough for the fletching to pass thru cleanly. Being the fletching was rigid, when it hit the mesh it sent the arrow into directions unknown. Cutting down the fletching solved that problem.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife actually shot her turkey using the grim reaper whitetail special ( mechanical) she shot through the mesh. Big no no but in the heat of the moment I told her to let it fly and she smoked it. So I wouldn’t hesitate one bit with a fixed I wouldn’t with a mechanical I feel she was very lucky.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Credit to those who do it and make it work. I can’t convince myself to do it. Michael J Fox gives me a run for my money when it comes to holding steady. I don’t need anymore cards stacked against me.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife ac;:;popcorntually shot her turkey using the grim reaper whitetail special ( mechanical) she shot through the mesh. Big no no but in the heat of the moment I told her to let it fly and she smoked it. So I wouldn’t hesitate one bit with a fixed I wouldn’t with a mechanical I feel she was very lucky.
Heat of the moment??
Poor judgement
:;:huh

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have, once I have a hole or two in it I cant use it any more. The hole catches my eye every time I turn my head thinking there is movement. Could just be me. I've gone to leaving the windows down if it's just me. If the kids are with I leave them up as I need all the help I can get to conceal their constant flailing. But I have noticed no difference in impact.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have, once I have a hole or two in it I cant use it any more. The hole catches my eye every time I turn my head thinking there is movement. Could just be me. I've gone to leaving the windows down if it's just me. If the kids are with I leave them up as I need all the help I can get to conceal their constant flailing. But I have noticed no difference in impact.

lol, there's some truth in the above.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heat of the moment??
Poor judgement
:;:huh

call it what you want man. she a mom of 3 kids cant get out every day like some of you. we were cover3d in hens and they were leaving she let it fly smoked it. the rest of the group ran out the fron window she smoked another one. call it aggressive tatic call it poor judgement we left with two toms....and a happy wife.

- - - Updated - - -

id call that a Big win

Viper

Only shot through mesh one time. Usually pull it out of the way as the sun starts to set, but I didn't have time on this occasion, shot a deer about 30yds out. only went 25 yds and dead.. used a 3 blade mechanical.. spitfire. Just have to make sure the mesh is as tight as you can make it if wanting to shot through it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
call it what you want man. she a mom of 3 kids cant get out every day like some of you. we were cover3d in hens and they were leaving she let it fly smoked it. the rest of the group ran out the fron window she smoked another one. call it aggressive tatic call it poor judgement we left with two toms....and a happy wife.

- - - Updated - - -

id call that a Big win

good lord man... you and wifey risked a shot at a turkey?

you ghouls

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't like having mesh up if I'm in a blind. One, I don't like my arrow touching anything once it leaves the bow until it makes contact with the critter. Two,the mesh makes those first and last few minutes of daylight much darker, which shortens the time I feel I can shoot accurately, and I have enough trouble with low light conditions as it is without adding things in the way. Three, I don't think mesh is necessary to conceal movement. I sit towards the back of the blind, wear dark clothing, and haven't had any problems getting picked off. Just my .02.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77