Shooting feral cats (legal?)

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im finding alot of gray area on the topic of the legalities of shooting feral cats. One site says its illegal in all 50 states under cruelty laws, another site says some states have open seasons on them...anyone know where ND stands.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One mile rule. If its a mile away from the nearest farm its toast.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they don't come when you say here kitty kitty they are feral, thought I'd clear this up.....

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there would be a lot less issue with matters such as these (ex. disposing of nuisance critters that might be toeing the line of legality) if people just followed SSS.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_5991.jpg

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed a cat with a paintball gun once. Diggin my garbage, thought id scare it off....nope, dead as a doornail.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes to shooting wild cats a friend of mine was once asked by a shocked upset woman at a party (after a few drinks and some of his wild cat killing stories) how he could tell the difference between his supposed wild cats and someone's house cat. His answer:

"You never never never ever go into someone's house and shoot their cat."

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Guy, if I see a cat on my place more than once, I had better have seen it at the neighbor's house at least once.

Or it best be wearing a very visible collar. Feral cats are hell on birds, and I prefer birds over cats.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always get hassled for my stance on this but I couldn't care less. 400 yards from any building, that animal is no longer a house or farm cat. It's now a deadly predator that is the same as a coyote out hunting for something to kill. Safety OFF!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I follow the collar rule also, if its got a collar I let it go, not cuz I dont think its out hunting, more cuz I dont want some kid crying when his cat disappears, and someone cares enough about it to collar the damn thing. Also I wont shoot a cat if its near a farm, maybe half mile or so radius.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've got a few that roam around out by our place, very rarely see them during the day, however they walk the perimeter of the house at night. I have never seen any sign of a mouse inside my house or garage, which I contribute directly to the cat presence. We do have a pet cat that stays in our house, which if she were to accidentally get knocked off by a paintball I wouldn't shed a tear. A couple feral cats aren't a bad thing to have in the area as long as they don't get too friendly. And a "couple" is the key word here.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also my understanding is its 'cruel' to kill a pet cat, feral cats arent considered pets and that law doesnt apply, they are invasive species...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Most cat collars are designed to come off if snagged on something to prevent strangulation so just because it doesn't have a collar doesn't mean it is feral. I would bet my wife puts a new collar on her cats every couple months because the lose them quite frequently.

Shooting cats on your own property is one thing but shooting cats on land that does not belong to you just because they are not within your preset range from a farm is not right.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 38