sinkhole at IHOP

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is so bizarre. I'm no structural engineer so I am at a loss at to what possibly could have happened. :::

Engineers are on their way to the scene to determine the cause. ;:;rofl

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scary shi'ite, happened in a Corvette museum a while back. Ground water erodes a cavern.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
See anything that gives you even a remote idea what might possibly have gone wrong?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what do you see at each end of the "sinkhole"?

- - - Updated - - -

the perfectly straight sinkhole (not real common in nature)

- - - Updated - - -

or shall we say non-existent in nature?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the feeling Ghost will look at this and know who's to blame for its occurrence. This is the kind of thing that keeps guys like him up at night.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
buried culvert, so the soil has been disturbed and no amount of packing, tamping etc. can compare with the densities of the undisturbed "virgin" soils on each side of culvert. Rain water/runoff slowly erode the disturbed dirt and whamo. :;:smokin or something like that

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I read somewhere...who knows though..could be imaging things..but I thought this happened somewhere else before where it was found that a sink in was because there was something under the surface..underground garage or whatnot..and the surface ground gave in.
Like I said though...maybe I am just imaging things. Happens a lot when you get older.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
buried culvert, so the soil has been disturbed and no amount of packing, tamping etc. can compare with the densities of the undisturbed "virgin" soils on each side of culvert. Rain water/runoff slowly erode the disturbed dirt and whamo. :;:smokin or something like that

that's my uneducated stab at it

looks to me like they put in a huge metal culvert - you can see it crushed on the one end - and the other end you can see the big opening of the section that hasn't collapsed yet

There are sections of "creek" overlain in Fargo using that approach but they always use massive concrete culverts. I don't think metal ones are capable of bearing the weight of parked cars sitting on them all day.

And maybe flowing water "scoured out" soil from under the culvert too, causing it to fold up that much more easily.

either way the consulting engineers who designed that are going to end up taking the blame - rightfully so I think

- - - Updated - - -

you can see the crinkled culvert's outlet at the very beginning

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is so bizarre. I'm no structural engineer so I am at a loss at to what possibly could have happened. :::

Engineers are on their way to the scene to determine the cause. ;:;rofl

At the beginning and end of the collapsed ditch you can see a very large corrugated metal culvert pipe and it failed with the load on top of it and collapsed. Either the pipe had too much load on top of it causing it to fail or it had a structural failure.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I read somewhere...who knows though..could be imaging things..but I thought this happened somewhere else before where it was found that a sink in was because there was something under the surface..underground garage or whatnot..and the surface ground gave in.
Like I said though...maybe I am just imaging things. Happens a lot when you get older.

I think you are thinking of karst sinkholes - natural "caverns" that collapse - especially when groundwater drops in elevation

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
seen what you seen guywhoisalwaysright , and yes Obama had his fingers in it

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Middle-Aged White Americans Are Dying More Than They Should Be

Those between the ages of 45 and 54 have seen a startling increase in death rates.

What's causing it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-middle-aged-americans-are-dying_5637fdb6e4b079a43c046244

The answer is they/we are sick and tired of the slippery slope, snow ball rolling down the hill, political correctness BS that this country is going down with little hope of it ever stopping. Black lives matter, more people on food stamps, more people dependent on the Govt. thus keep voting for those willing to keep giving it. No accountability anymore. There is like zero unemployment in ND. I wonder how many takers there would be in the inner cities to give them jobs here in ND..free bus ride here even. My guess is close to no one would do that..nope..keep on taking free money..why work...THATS MY REASON for this and I am sticking to it. Rant over

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fat bottom girls eating to many pancakes, ive seen it a thousand times...haha

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The answer is they/we are sick and tired of the slippery slope, snow ball rolling down the hill, political correctness BS that this country is going down with little hope of it ever stopping. Black lives matter, more people on food stamps, more people dependent on the Govt. thus keep voting for those willing to keep giving it. No accountability anymore. There is like zero unemployment in ND. I wonder how many takers there would be in the inner cities to give them jobs here in ND..free bus ride here even. My guess is close to no one would do that..nope..keep on taking free money..why work...THATS MY REASON for this and I am sticking to it. Rant over

Correct... A: Obama

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 38
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14