Slow death hook brands

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You fishing eyes with them? If so how do you fish them and how well do they work? I caught a bunch of the last summer for kicks and giggles and have though about trying them out this year.

No - cats on the Red. Sometimes they'll outproduce everything else 10:1.

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input guys, I pick up a few different hooks so now i just need to get the boat out of storage and give them a try.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to try the new Mustad Super Death hooks. The crappy weather up here has promoted fishing tackle sales and a lighter wallet. Can't fish? Buy some more tackle!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to try the new Mustad Super Death hooks. The crappy weather up here has promoted fishing tackle sales and a lighter wallet. Can't fish? Buy some more tackle!

You're not alone, ahab. After dropping my fish off with MSA, I wandered in to dakota tackle. Mid-saturday + ridiculous winds = every guy who fishes buying tackle for the next time out.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
trokar has the re-volve hooks... they are spendy but they dont bend like the mustad ones plus they are stupid sharp

MattB

Founding Member
Founding Member
like what tim sandstrom said a few posts ago.
I was "slow death" fishing crawlers in 1999, well before I ever heard the term. On a regular hook, threaded up the shaft and over the knot with some of the worm fed onto the hook curve. Worked for lots of walleye.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
like what tim sandstrom said a few posts ago.
I was "slow death" fishing crawlers in 1999, well before I ever heard the term. On a regular hook, threaded up the shaft and over the knot with some of the worm fed onto the hook curve. Worked for lots of walleye.

My brother has been hooking half crawlers on a single hook since the 80's. I never could figure out how he caught em with no spinner. I never realized it was how he was hooking them, to make it roll. I like slow death spin, but the barbs suck. I've had good luck with them, but trying to find one with a better barb. I think I have now. Thanks!

BTW threads like this is why I waste so much time on this site!

TheWalleye

Honored Member
I'm just wondering if you can fish these rigs from shore some how, i know most people bottom bounce or pull behind the boat some how - but what about us land lovers?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I saw some new vmc hooks called spin drift that are supposed to give the same action. They also look much stronger wire

Rod Lux

Founding Member
Founding Member
vmc spin drift does have a heavier wire and different roll action IMO and have not had as good success with them fished beside slow death

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just wondering if you can fish these rigs from shore some how, i know most people bottom bounce or pull behind the boat some how - but what about us land lovers?

It would be possible to fish them from shore if you're able to find the right conditions. Slow death rigs need a relatively narrow water speed to be successful. I usually pull them between 0.7 and 1.0 mph on stationary water, and sometimes bend the hook to adjust the action to match my intended speed.
That would be tough to do from shore on a river because the water rarely moves the same at shore where you can see it to tune the presentation as it does in the location where you would cast to. You could make some educated guesses but it would be tricky. If the action isn't right there's really no advantage over a typical lindy rig.

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member

Carolina rig. Maybe with a float in front of the hook. And reel it back along bottom.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
DerHornen. I use slow-death from shore for spring wallies. Hook followed by spin-and-glow floater, four foot snell, three way swivel with16'' dropper line half oz walking sinker or bullet style sinker on lighter line, so if you snag you just lose sinker. play with it you will figure out retrieve speed.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch out for the Matzuo brand "Death Roll" hooks, item #900022 qty 25. Picked up some at a local shop Friday and started tying up some rigs today. The first 3 off the ring had eyes that weren't closed all the way, 15# test florocarbon wouldn't stay on. Ended up tying snell knots to make them work. Out of the other 22 in the pack no 2 are bent the same. 2 had the throat of the hook bent closed so far I used pliers to open them up a little.
On the other hand I also bought some VMC slow death style hooks with a swivel built on to them. LOVE the design if a bit spendy. Seems to be very well built product.

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an update. Tried the Tro Kar revolve hooks last week on Devils Lake. These hooks are very sharp and don't bend nearly as easy as the Mustad hooks. Snagged a few good size tree branches that I was able to the surface and they kept their shape. So for now these will be the hooks I'll be using.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14