Smoking babyback ribs

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Smoked with combination of pecan and cherry wood for 3 hours at 225 then into the wrap.
IMG_7315.jpeg

IMG_7317.jpeg

IMG_7316.jpeg
Damn,looks great,like the pile brown sugar, good tip

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know how to get a good bark with a 3-2-1 method? Don’t want them chewy either and prefer fall off the bone. Baby backs. I don’t mind them on the drier side if that is the risk

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone know how to get a good bark with a 3-2-1 method? Don’t want them chewy either and prefer fall off the bone. Baby backs. I don’t mind them on the drier side if that is the risk
If I go about 250° instead of 225°, add butter or the squeeze bottle of Parkay when wrapping (always see that blue bottle on BBQ shows), then brush lightly with BBQ sauce 3 or 4 times the last hour unwrapped, I get a decent bark and definitely fall off bone. Usually have to cut racks in half when you unwrap because they'll break in half when you try to move the whole rack.

I do this when I plan on pulling bones out and making rib sandwiches. Get a decent bark during first 3 hrs unwrapped. Bark softens during wrapped period, but ribs get to "fall of the bone" status. Reestablish bark/carmelization during last hour unwrapped. Usually drop temperature back to 225° during last hour so sugars in BBQ sauce don't burn.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrap them in butchers paper.

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
My method, and it’s not always consistent: prep the day before (remove membrane and rub). Usually do three racks. Store in 2 or 2.5 gal ziplock. First 3 hours at 195°. Then into a tinfoil pan with the liquid of your choice and covered with tinfoil, 2 hours at 225°. Back on the smoker and add sauce for the last hour at 225°.

Always bone side down. I’ve been playing with cutting some of these times as they usually end up fall off the bone.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you like more smoke flavor my Weber has enhanced slow smoke mode I do at end of cooking. I kinda play around with different cooking times and heat from what I find online kinda fun. Never bad rack of ribs to eat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84