Smoking babyback ribs

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty much what everyone else said except I'm not very fussy on time. I rub the night before and put them on the smoker. Time is irrelevant for me as I use chips and charcoal and try to keep the heat about 200-225. Not always easy as the outside air temp. can affect that so time is when they are done. Then coat with a little BBQ sauce and wrap in foil. Back on rack and heat up to about 250 and then let them sit as the temp cools and they will stay just fine fora long time. If you have a large group you can take the foiled ribs and place in a cooler until ready to eat. Will stay warm for a long time doing that. I'm pretty much in the "Smoke and beer" camp, and have never had anything but praise. One thing not mentioned is "use a good quality rack of rib". Just like any other meat, good cut is better.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any of you guys do a large batch and then freeze them down for later use. The wife and I split a rack of ribs for a meal. Would be nice to do a bunch and keep the mess and time to a minimal.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate all the responses guys! Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to do some smoking!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old thread but any other tips on ribs/spare ribs? Would like to start playing with smoking

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old thread but any other tips on ribs/spare ribs? Would like to start playing with smoking
3-2-1 is the best I have been able to make.

3 hours of smoke, at 225*
2 hours covered with a slight layer of apple juice at the bottom of the pan @ 225
1 hour or less with the sauce on the ribs back on the grate to help adhere the sauce to the rib meat.

6 hours and you have fall of the bone ribs.

I use applewood on all my meats, as I prefer that to the others, however I don't know that the pellet really matters as much as the actual cook.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
3-2-1 is the best I have been able to make.

3 hours of smoke, at 225*
2 hours covered with a slight layer of apple juice at the bottom of the pan @ 225
1 hour or less with the sauce on the ribs back on the grate to help adhere the sauce to the rib meat.

6 hours and you have fall of the bone ribs.

I use applewood on all my meats, as I prefer that to the others, however I don't know that the pellet really matters as much as the actual cook.
Same but I do 2-2-1. I also wrap each rack in two layers of foil. Do you just throw them in one big ass disposable pan and foil the top? That sounds much easier.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys watch meat temp at all or just go with the times?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will also say the 3-2-1 method is the best. Put some brown sugar and honey in the tinfoil and place the ribs meat-side down on the mixture. Then place them on the smoker meat side down. After unwrapping them, place them back on the smoker meat-side up and that gooeyness on the top is delicious! No need for sauce.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys watch meat temp at all or just go with the times?
With ribs I use my eyes. They'll tell you when they're done. Meat pulling back from the bone and a 90 degree bend when lifted in the middle with tongs. Fall apart ribs are for babies and old ladies with dentures. Should be a little bit of resistance when you bite into them

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My kids don't really like ribs, but like a rib sandwich. If they're going to be eating, I go more towards the fall-off-the-bone end of things...pop out the bones, rough chop or shred meat, and everyone is happy.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My kids don't really like ribs, but like a rib sandwich. If they're going to be eating, I go more towards the fall-off-the-bone end of things...pop out the bones, rough chop or shred meat, and everyone is happy.
Also, the Famous Dave's cornbread muffins are the cat's ass as far as mixes go.(y)

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you take the skin/membrane off the inside curve of the rib. Slide a knife under the skin in the middle of the rack and stick your finger under it to get it started. Take a paper towel to hang onto it to pull it off. I smoke mine for 2.5 to 3 hours at 225. Cherry, pecan, hickory and applewood.
Roll out my heavy duty extra wide tinfoil out on the counter. Put some bbq sauce, brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of butter on the foil. I put mine in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour and a half to 2 hours. These are fall off the bone. Usually do 2 full racks.

Keep the juice that’s in the foil That way you can pour it on the leftover meat and have pulled rib sammies.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fall apart ribs are for babies and old ladies with dentures. Should be a little bit of resistance when you bite into them
IMG_8746.jpg

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
3-2-1 method is a good way to start out when learning. I've do ribs many different variations but have leaned more towards running either straight through no wrap or wrap for a short time sometimes with a little liquid and sometimes not, depending on how much fat there is to render down, I have also wrapped in butcher paper. I kind of base off of what color I got on them and meat pull back on the bones and testing with instant read thermometer for tenderness. If they are getting too dark or I need to spead up the cook I wrap. I have used lots of different woods and pellets, can't go wrong with pecan and cherry mix.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Straight smoke, no wrap most of the time for this guy. Easiest ribs I make are the pre-seasoned from Costco. Pull the membrane, a little trimming, and onto the smoker.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with the 3-2-1 method. Yes, remove the plural lining off the inside of the ribs. Very consistent results. I spritz every hour with apple juice.

I'm a fall off the bone guy who puts them all in one pan too. Way easier and I've never noticed a difference. I add apple juice and brush with honey toward the end of the middle phase.

One thing that I can't stand is too much rub/seasoning. I try to avoid caking seasoning on, seems the meat either gets to salty or all you taste is rub. I use a "normal" amount of seasoning as rib meat is naturally tasty. When you watch these videos online most of them are selling or promoting a certain rub and of course they want you to use more.

If you buy commercial seasonings, read the ingredients and remember they are listed in order by highest % of content. I'm a brown sugar guy so tend to migrate to the sweeter seasonings.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84