Smoking/Grilling Info Sharing

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://cajunsmokers.com

These look very nice for being built up here in the north country. Judging by the small model they have a nice price tag as well but if their small one is comparable to my Oklahoma Joe that is much cheaper you probably do get what you pay for in quality.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanksgiving and the smoked turkey forum got me thinking about getting my turkey out of the freezer.
I saw tikka and woodpecker put up some tips for brines.
Anyone have other brine recipes they are willing to share or is a simple salt and sugar just the best way to go? I have never done much for brining bigger birds and I do have the tendency to try to do too much. I did some Cornish hens a few years ago (didn't write down what I did) and think I did a simple sugar, salt, Italian seasoning and peppercorns then smoked with Pecan wood.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chicken is much better cooked at 400+ degrees. Only exception would be wings that i want to finish in the fryer after getting some smoke.

Brush a good slather of real mayo on your chicken before seasoning and smoking/grilling. It helps crisp the skin. (as long as you cook at hotter temps)

Always brine poultry!!

Hickory and apple is where it's at for me.

Pellet poopers are glorified outdoor ovens.

For charcoal users, keep a 20# LP tank and weed burner on your deck to start up the coal. Much faster

Cheap lump is crappy!!

Good smoke, good smoke, good smoke (if you have thick white crap, you're smoker isn't ready for food yet, unless you like the taste of creosote). Thin blue is where it's at.

KISS - don't get crazy with the wraps, injections, marinades etc. Most times you just can't beat a good piece of meat, clean fire and simple seasoning.

Buy a Thermapen, and use it!!!

Always buy 1 size bigger cooker then you think you need!!

Have lots of beer at the ready!!

1/8 tsp of baking soda added to dry rub will crisp chicken skin up nicely.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
For charcoal users, keep a 20# LP tank and weed burner on your deck to start up the coal. Much faster

Have lots of beer at the ready!!

Not sure how I missed this post, but is the extra beer for the fire department?? ;:;rofl

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting read....

What is the Smoke Ring and Why Is It There!
How to Get That Coveted Pink Ring With Your Cooking
by Joe Cordray
Slow cooked barbecue meats often exhibit a pink ring around the outside edge of the product.
This pink ring may range from 1/8 inch to 1/2 inch thick. In beef the ring is a reddish-pink and in
pork, chicken and turkey it is bright pink. This pink ring is often referred to as a "smoke ring"
and is considered a prized attribute in many barbecue meats, especially barbecue beef briskets.
Barbecue connoiseurs feel the presence of a smoke ring indicates the item was slow smoked for a
long period of time. Occasionally consumers have mistakenly felt that the pink color of the
smoke ring meant the meat was undercooked. To understand smoke ring formation you must first
understand muscle pigment.
Myoglobin is the pigment that gives muscle its color. Beef muscle has more pigment than pork
muscle thus beef has a darker color than pork. Chicken thighs have a darker color than chicken
breast thus chicken thigh muscle has more muscle pigment (myoglobin) than chicken breast
tissue. A greater myoglobin concentration yields a more intense color. When you first cut into a
muscle you expose the muscle pigment in its native state, myoglobin. In the case of beef,
myoglobin has a purplish-red color. After the myoglobin has been exposed to oxygen for a short
time, it becomes oxygenated and oxymyoglobin is formed. Oxymyoglobin is the color we
associate with fresh meat. The optimum fresh meat color in beef is bright cherry red and in pork
bright grayish pink. If a cut of meat is held under refrigeration for several days, the myoglobin
on the surface becomes oxidized. When oxymyoglobin is oxidized it becomes metmyoglobin.
Metmyoglobin has a brown color and is associated with a piece of meat that has been cut for
several days. When we produce cured products we also alter the state of the pigment myoglobin.
Cured products are defined as products to which we add sodium nitrate and/or sodium nitrite
during processing. Examples of cured products are ham, bacon, bologna and hotdogs. All of
these products have a pink color, which is typical of cured products. When sodium nitrite is
combined with meat the pigment myoglobin is converted to nitric oxide myoglobin which is a
very dark red color. This state of the pigment myoglobin is not very stable. Upon heating, nitric
oxide myoglobin is converted to nitrosylhemochrome, which is the typical pink color of cured
meats.
When a smoke ring develops in barbecue meats it is not because smoke has penetrated and
colored the muscle, but rather because gases in the smoke interact with the pigment myoglobin.
Two phenomenon provide evidence that it is not the smoke itself that causes the smoke ring.
First, it is possible to have a smoke ring develop in a product that has not been smoked and
second, it is also possible to heavily smoke a product without smoke ring development.
Most barbecuers use either wood chips or logs to generate smoke when cooking. Wood contains
large amounts of nitrogen (N). During burning the nitrogen in the logs combines with oxygen
(O) in the air to form nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitrogen dioxide is highly water-soluble. The pink
ring is created when NO2 is absorbed into the moist meat surface and reacts to form nitrous acid.
The nitrous acid then diffuses inward creating a pink ring via the classic meat curing reaction of
sodium nitrite. The end result is a "smoke ring" that has the pink color of cured meat. Smoke ring
also frequently develops in smokehouses and cookers that are gas-fired because NO2 is a
combustion by-product when natural gas or propane is burned.

http://www.smokingpit.com/Info/SmokeRing.pdf

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made up some smoked pike and panfish New Years Day on the offset smoker using charcoal and some apple chunks along with my new A-Maze-N tube smoker with Apple pellets. Turned out pretty good I think at least, will have to try it more now that it has had a week vac sealed for a week.
20180101_184253[1].jpg

I think with the new tube smoker and these temps smoking cheese is something that is going to need to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Along with more pike

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I damn near bought a pellet grill last fall. Been going back and forth on gas/coal / pellet. I'm really leaning towards Oklahoma Joe coal/gas. Just because sometimes it's nice when guests are over or whatever to quickly grill some deer sausage or whatever. I do a shit ton of grilling and lately been all charcoal (have an old round weber). Anyways , may be wrong thread but anyone have this 3 in 1 Oklahoma grill? Is it decent?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I damn near bought a pellet grill last fall. Been going back and forth on gas/coal / pellet. I'm really leaning towards Oklahoma Joe coal/gas. Just because sometimes it's nice when guests are over or whatever to quickly grill some deer sausage or whatever. I do a shit ton of grilling and lately been all charcoal (have an old round weber). Anyways , may be wrong thread but anyone have this 3 in 1 Oklahoma grill? Is it decent?

That's what I am running for the last year and like it. PM me and/or swing down to my place and just take a look at it with some of the mods I have made if you want sometime.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
20180428_174302.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This should give you an idea of how much room you have to work with on the smoker and propane side.

- - - Updated - - -

20180519_161603.jpg

20180504_200446.jpg

for me I do my charcoal grilling in the firebox and the other chamber is just smoking now. otherwise if you have your smoker nice and seasoned the first time you get the heat roaring in there it will crack off all the build up. Smoked burgers have become a big time home favorite, especially with some bacon thrown in as well.
20180419_192833.jpg

WOpp

I have done several prime rib roast's on my smoker, I use a rub called Meyers roast beef rub. I use about 12-16 oz of the rub as well as 1-2 oz black pepper, 1 oz more or less salt. Rub it on liberaly on all sides. wrap it in stretch rap well. I let it rest for 72 hrs in my refrigerator. When you are ready to cook set it out for 2 hrs to let it warm up, . Turn your smoker to 500 degrees cook fat side down for 15 min. then turn over cook fat up for 15 min. Turn smoker down to 225 cook for 4- 6 hours to you favorite temp, mine is 145 internal. This will be the best prime rib you ever had. Enjoy

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done several prime rib roast's on my smoker, I use a rub called Meyers roast beef rub. I use about 12-16 oz of the rub as well as 1-2 oz black pepper, 1 oz more or less salt. Rub it on liberaly on all sides. wrap it in stretch rap well. I let it rest for 72 hrs in my refrigerator. When you are ready to cook set it out for 2 hrs to let it warm up, . Turn your smoker to 500 degrees cook fat side down for 15 min. then turn over cook fat up for 15 min. Turn smoker down to 225 cook for 4- 6 hours to you favorite temp, mine is 145 internal. This will be the best prime rib you ever had. Enjoy

What is the approximate weight of the prime rib?

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thaw frozen buffalo wings from Tyson, apply a lite dusting of garlic POWDER, and applewood smoke @ 225 for 2 1/2-3 hours...can crisp up under broiler in oven if desired.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an update on my life, I finally broke down and purchased a new grill. I went back and forth between charcoal and pellet. Gas was for sure out. (I dislike everything about gas except for how convenient they are at times) I was walking thru Menards couple weeks ago and saw the Pitboss 820 for $399. So I went for it. My first run with it I did 3 racks of loin ribs from Costco with 2 different rubs. Kept it simple and 3-2-1 method. I can honestly say the family agreed they were delicious! The pellet grill set and forget was nice, and smoke flavor was about right. I tend to like more smoke but rest of family doesn't and they enjoyed this more than the old electric smoker I use and manually pile on the chips. I've since grilled steaks and burgers and will probably try about everything I can think of before end of summer.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just an update on my life, I finally broke down and purchased a new grill. I went back and forth between charcoal and pellet. Gas was for sure out. (I dislike everything about gas except for how convenient they are at times) I was walking thru Menards couple weeks ago and saw the Pitboss 820 for $399. So I went for it. My first run with it I did 3 racks of loin ribs from Costco with 2 different rubs. Kept it simple and 3-2-1 method. I can honestly say the family agreed they were delicious! The pellet grill set and forget was nice, and smoke flavor was about right. I tend to like more smoke but rest of family doesn't and they enjoyed this more than the old electric smoker I use and manually pile on the chips. I've since grilled steaks and burgers and will probably try about everything I can think of before end of summer.

Big fan of the convenience of the pellet grills for smoking and they make good food too, for grilling not they are decent not great. If you want a little extra smoke get yourself an amazen tube. Them pitboss's get decent reviews and can't be beat for the price.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use this Garden torch for lighting my Green Egg, It works great, $33 at Menards

Garden Torch.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31