Smoking/Grilling Info Sharing

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
As most can tell this summer there has been much outdoor cooking from me and most of it has been on the smoker. I figured a thread for everyone to share info or tips and tricks that they have regarding the different things tried that have worked or have not worked.
I know that I have tried a few new to me things and put different twists on some old faithful's. I've learned some things about running an offset smoker (new this spring), using different charcoals, using different wood and modifications that have helped. As far as smoking wood goes I have done a lot of pecan, cherry that I buy as well as oak and apple from our farm.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
How has that smoker been holding up? I was looking at one like it but some of the reviews scared me away.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
How has that smoker been holding up? I was looking at one like it but some of the reviews scared me away.

I would say that I beat it up pretty good this year and its been fine. There are a few issues with getting a tight seal on the doors but that is an easy fix and I am experimenting with some tuning plates in the smoker/grill side for more consistent heat zones. Durability wise no issues and I bought the grill cover for it which I think really helps.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will share the one thing that didn't work this year.

Last batch of Pike came out of the smoker way too salty. The batch before was the best I've made.
The only difference was the second batch was left in the brine several hours longer.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years, I've switched all my smoking to pecan wood. It doens't matter if I'm doing a brisket, ribs or venison sausage. I like pecan.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the years, I've switched all my smoking to pecan wood. It doens't matter if I'm doing a brisket, ribs or venison sausage. I like pecan.

pecan has become my go to along with cherry or a mix of those two have worked great. I feel like the cherry seems to give that really nice red smoke ring color we love seeing.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
pecan has become my go to along with cherry or a mix of those two have worked great. I feel like the cherry seems to give that really nice red smoke ring color we love seeing.

I've added a little bit of cure (sodium nitrite) to a few different rubs and that has helped develop a nicer looking smoke ring. I cheat and use an electric smoker. It makes very tasty food, but doesn't normally get a nice smoke ring. I don't care so much about that, as I do the taste.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've added a little bit of cure (sodium nitrite) to a few different rubs and that has helped develop a nicer looking smoke ring. I cheat and use an electric smoker. It makes very tasty food, but doesn't normally get a nice smoke ring. I don't care so much about that, as I do the taste.

Cheater:D.
I have thought about that as well but seems like if I let my kosher salt soak in for a few hours or overnight that makes a big difference. I need to get my electric going again and as far as color it is just a bonus for me as well. The flavor is the king but sometimes I do think the saying of eating with your eyes first applies at times.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made the mistake of overcooking venison and elk jerky in the past & it makes me very unhappy. The last batch was a little undercooked so I spread it out on cookie sheets and cooked for a while on the grill using indirect low heat. Turned out perfect IMHO!

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking of smoking a turkey in my Rec Tec pellet grill for Thanksgiving. Does anyone have any tips or experience smoking a bird on a pellet grill with possible low outdoor temps?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the pecan smoke. I've been cooking salmon o. The egg grill with pecan almost weekly lately even the kids inhale it.

Another favorite I got from this site recently was butterflying a whole chicken and grilling it. Did 2 birds this week and used the leftovers to make tacos.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm starting to think a NDA cook off would be fun. I could cook something but I'd rather just be a judge.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brine the turkey no matter what, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper, and smoke about three hours and then turn the heat up to finish. Brine is key to keeping it moist.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/texas_BBQ_mop-sauce.html

I gave this a try to go with my Brisket I made a couple weeks ago and really liked it.

I'm starting to think a NDA cook off would be fun. I could cook something but I'd rather just be a judge.
I agree and the real winners are the judges.
Is there any chance of doing a charity type thing for our past and present vets similar to warriors on the water we can put together?

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ever try mixing cranberry juice in with your brine? I like the flavor and it does give it a little extra pink

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Auggie I have wanted to hit the boot camp and you are one of many I hope that can add to a forum like this.
Retired guy thanks for the idea. If plan don't work just improvise and work through it!

- - - Updated - - -

Ever try mixing cranberry juice in with your brine? I like the flavor and it does give it a little extra pink

Not sure on the pink but I have used a little in a chicken brine once and didn't notice much, I have no measurable amounts. Used it in BBQ sauce and added till I liked the taste.
I'm not Brine master but I'm trying to build and simmer my brine to taste and then add the salt.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fired up the smoker for a leg of pork. Salt and rub applied the night before. Also smoked a some burgers for supper. Leg was on the smoker for 5hrs at around 200 with oak and cherry, then into a pan and covered in the oven at 180 till morning
20171103_212503.jpg
20171103_234530.jpg
20171104_103145.jpg
20171104_104748.jpg
Made pulled pork tacos with broccoli slaw and pulled pork nachos
20171104_145009.jpg
20171104_150429.jpg

Attachments

20171103_190416.jpg

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chicken is much better cooked at 400+ degrees. Only exception would be wings that i want to finish in the fryer after getting some smoke.

Brush a good slather of real mayo on your chicken before seasoning and smoking/grilling. It helps crisp the skin. (as long as you cook at hotter temps)

Always brine poultry!!

Hickory and apple is where it's at for me.

Pellet poopers are glorified outdoor ovens.

For charcoal users, keep a 20# LP tank and weed burner on your deck to start up the coal. Much faster

Cheap lump is crappy!!

Good smoke, good smoke, good smoke (if you have thick white crap, you're smoker isn't ready for food yet, unless you like the taste of creosote). Thin blue is where it's at.

KISS - don't get crazy with the wraps, injections, marinades etc. Most times you just can't beat a good piece of meat, clean fire and simple seasoning.

Buy a Thermapen, and use it!!!

Always buy 1 size bigger cooker then you think you need!!

Have lots of beer at the ready!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33