Snows

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most birds were in Canada? You probably should have turned you gaze south not north. Big snow roosts all over down by 94 up until today atleast. Saw big wads of them pulling up stakes this morning and heading south. Won't be many left by Monday.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
We hunted the same area weve hunted for years.Kenmare,Stanley,Plaza,Parshall,Garrison and there were zero snow geese the week of the 7th-15th.There are lots on Audobon now, heading that way tommorow.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Live in SE Bismarck, and saw a couple flocks go over last night about 10-ish. Lit up from underneath by streetlights.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
feeding the dogs last evening and the dark geese were flying over like crazy. So much so my yellow dog laid down and gave me why dont you shoot look

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah there was a good push of dark geese last night at sundown but I bet it pales to what we on the river are about to see. Was hunting west river this morning and saw temps down to one and with no wind everything thing without curnet was locking up. Saw that porcupine Bay was frozen all the way out to the mouth of the river. The expressway sandbar is building numbers by the minute when I went by 20 minutes ago so river season has begun.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Birds north of highway 2 have peaced out. Many large sloughs are solid. Only lakes are open now north of sak. Not many birds migrating today unlike last night

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
anybody seeing any, cant find any.Theres a million honkers on the river.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a Shit ton in north central sd. Non stop coming over while field hunting ducks yesterday.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasant opened up Monday on Audubon. It was very good. We got game checked and struck up a conversation with the warden. Asked him about the snow geese. He said they had about a 5% hatch and the adults were not decoying at all.

At one spot they were right beside the road. Very tempting to do a drive by. There was some guys decoying about 300 yards south of there. Layout blinds out in the open with about two dozen duck and goose dekes. Two mojo's going. They didn't have any action. Time to change it up. 300 yards south of them was a frozen pond with cattails. Small groups of birds were staging on the ice. Sit on a five gallon pail in the cattails and throw a few dekes out on the ice. Sometimes guys get stuck in a field hunting rut.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
we hunt snows heavy in the fall when they come through. have enjoyed some very good days the last few years and have even put the 50 bird limit to use multiple times every fall. this was by far the toughest decoying season we have had on snow geese. we hit 84 one day when we normally have multiple 100 bird days in a season. most days were 5-20 birds. and we even had alot of days where the geese switched fields and the last hunt had our roost freeze and birds leave at night. very humbling year no doubt as i like to think we are fairly accomplished snow goose hunters. the lack of juvies showed this year. good luck with those audobon birds. my humble opinion is you are wasting your time this time of the year on snows as they are either flying 6 miles 500 yds in the air to get to there field or they are feeding in corn directly adjacent the roost and are un- huntable. e- caller wouldnt have helped as much as people think either. they are not a magic pill they used to be. and as the flocks age there effectiveness dwindles. all lowing ecallers would only attract more hunters to nd. with snow geese you hunt the day not the bird.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, they were feeding in corn right beside the roost. When they lifted off Audubon, they circled over the water a couple times to get altitude over the firing line. Flew 1/2 mile south and circled several times coming down. Smart buggers.

The dark geese migrants are starting to use Lake Sakakawea. Got a field but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Have the turkey in the oven already. Wifes got me busy this morning. She's happy.

In the past, I have been known to go goose hunting and just make it home in time for dinner. She wasn't happy.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a big roost the last few days. They are flying out about two miles and hitting barley fields. Know of guys who have been going after them and have had more then one day where the took their limit. Was duck hunting this morning but threw out a couple doz snow decoys just in case and ended with 20. Pass shooters were launching allot of ammo into the flocks coming off the lake but didn't see many drop but did spend a half hour going around the lake before we left to clean up all the birds that got sailed off.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
ah shit. my bad people. dean says they are easy to kill right now so that must be true. everyone grab 23 snow goose decoys and get out there! its hot right now! go troll the other 14 sites where wadded up bullshit spews out of your keyboard just to make yourself sound like the smartest guy in the room. lord of the fowl nelson speaks. everyone listen

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh poor trip someone else has luck and you act like a petulant little child. How juvenile are you!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
no asshole. not childish. tired of you and your posts contradicting what everyone says. you are obviously the smartest man to ever walk the earth judging by your arrogant ignorant posts. im sure people are/ where having luck somewhere on a pocket of birds somewhere but i could have taken you to at least 6 different roosts where they werent worth hunting. you make it a point to try to make people look wrong and youself look like king- fkn dingaling and im last annoyed with your duschbaggery. do u ever stop and think how giant of a duschbag you are? i admit, you seem like a fairly knowledgable guy but do u have to be a fkn know it all, all the time?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
ah shit. my bad people. dean says they are easy to kill right now so that must be true. everyone grab 23 snow goose decoys and get out there! its hot right now! go troll the other 14 sites where wadded up bullshit spews out of your keyboard just to make yourself sound like the smartest guy in the room. lord of the fowl nelson speaks. everyone listen
What the........?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1