Spring snow goose migration report 2017

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quick note from a contact hunting kansas,small guiding operation....

"
This large Snownami that is scheduled for this week should be good for us down there. The snows are very spread out right now. There still good numbers being reported as far south as LA, MS & TX and there are big numbers of snows in SD & ND right now.

This storm will likely drive the majority of them back south but from the current track their could be some snows that get trapped north of the storm but yet south of the snow line in ND which is still quite significant.

That's not to say we necessarily want the birds that are in the Dakotas now back. Those lead edge birds are almost all adults and really no fun to hunt. My hopes is a lot of those head to Squaw Creek but they likely won't ask my opinion. :)"

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seen a few small flocks of Canadians in se nd Richland county.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife gets out to Oakes area and said she is seeing flocks around Ludden.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at Sand lake just south of Hecla S.D. on Sat and maybe seen 2000 white geese.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called the sand lake hotline this morning. Reporting very few birds in area with large concentrations in Sioux Falls area
seems to be discrepancy amongst reports on every site

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean, I called refuge headquarters not the hotline you are correct. I asked to speak with a biologist regarding the waterfowl migration. Said the there have been smaller flocks of snows in the area but the majority aware south. Did mention they had biologists in Sioux Falls area and said there is big numbers there. Also mentioned spink county holding sizable flocks as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Another website had a report saying birds were " pouring" into sand lake as of today. Apparently my previous news was old news

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah buddy down there is cleaning up on them and said he's hearing the same thing about them pouring into sand lake but since no one seems to actually know anyone hunting around there it's hard to get a real idea of what's going on. Depending on who you talked to down their info could be spot on or it could just a rehash of their last count back a week ago.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like after the 2 day warm up,back to the teens and 20s.We will see a push in SE with the warm up, but I dont think they will stay long.SD is going to be LOADED for a while.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
hows that tip feeling?......yoyo. tip drill, same shit every year. thats why sd has turned into guide city. they usually get birds for damn near two months. ice is still good so theres lips to be ripped up north still.... until we get a chance at full migration insertion im on the sidelines. besides the only guy i know who can kill front edge adults is cocksakmasterangler anyways

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
he not only kills them but kills them by the dozens. haha

- - - Updated - - -

60 this weekend and mid 40 from here on out i see the ice going fast now all the snow is gone. Might have to take the kid out and let him try his hand at pass shooing with the new shot gun if we get the right wind.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD has had pretty much shit seasons the last few years. They have been crazy fast migrations down there on a number of years and ND the last few years has had better and longer flights in more years then they have people just seem to forget that though. The biggest reason there are a ton of guides there is you don't need a license to guide there vs all the hoops you have to jump through to guide in ND especially for nonresidents. Add in no true main staging areas up here and it's not overly conducive to guiding.

- - - Updated - - -

As for front edge birds if you can ever time it perfect and I do mean perfect and can have a water spread out in the area where the first scout flocks are just about to turn around and head back south you can absolutely destroy them. They are normally tired and hungry and apparently that wipes out half their IQ because they will decoy like juvies. Only got in on that style hunts three times but damn it was fun but nearly impossible to predict till into happened.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still a bit to much snow in the fields out this way to get much of a push of the artic geese except for the cackling geese and that's just because they like to hang out with their big cousins so much now.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drove back to Bismarck from Fargo late this afternoon and only seen darks and ducks, this was late afternoon. Kind of amazing the snow line about somewhere between Jamestown Medina area, brown to white in a short distance. Still more snow then most would think north of Robinson area but is probably shrinking today with warm up.
dukgnfsn

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
63 here today I was inside coaching b-ball all day but snow is pretty much gone.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell you one thing if this snowfall forecast is even close to accurate it will make for one interesting snowgoose snow line! :;:cheers

Screenshot_20170304-200626.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11