Spring snow goose migration report 2017

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
if all of the bis/man nodakangler guys got together in a spread NE of town on a day like today how many could seriously be shot??? I drive by 2 of the 3 feeds on my way home and just envision the slaughter. there was a 3 turn tornado going into it yesterday evening

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
how cool would it be if the gnf had a one day spring season on canadas? no plugs, no limit. one day hammerfest. make it a $50 dollar liscence and only open to residents....

ad sodak. I was pouring concrete in the country today as the snows were flying 20 yards over the shop were at for about 2 straight hours it was torture

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's March 7th. Maybe a bit ahead of time, but with the weather coming this weekend I still say peak hunting in SD will be the third weekend of March. Always is, like clockwork. Thank goodness I sold all the decoys LOL, I finally got smart enough to just relax about the migration. Best hunts I have been on have been pass shoots lately! These windy days are awesome!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you calling peak because at this point you're clearly getting into semantics. The main body has been in state now for some time and guys have been stacking them up including large numbers of juvies at times. As for Bismarck Canada goose hunting if anyone has a decoy that can stay put in winds gusting to 67 I would love to see it because that must be a hell of a thing! There's so damn many honkers here right now you could drop ten guys off in just about any old field you wanted and they could stack up the birds. But if we are doing a one day season i say screw the honkers I want the ducks. Get myself a nice pintail, spoon bill, bluewing teal, Widgeon, Gadwall and canvasback limit and the taxidermy bill from hell.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
The south east corner has far different conditions then up north so they won't be near as quick to move. This is down at verona at 11:30 today.

22221785_1352826331509758_8321402233377357685_n.jpg

It was a joke Cliffy!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carson Wentz has been blasting them down south.
Him and his family has a hunting type show going now.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
SE boys gonna have to chime in what there seeing. curious how far these birds move back. forcast with lows below 0 for 2 nights and highs in the teens outta lock everything back up huh?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Especially when you factor in the back to back to back clippers they are calling for over the next few days. With temps that cold even flowing flood water is likely to lock up especially if you start dropping snow in it.

Screenshot_20170309-133029.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen a bird in a couple days now. Everything is locked up again except the river below the dam.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I live real close to where the countys of Ransom, Richland and Sargent meet in SE ND. -2 this morning and have not seen any geese in a week and it was just Canadians then. When the snows get to the refuge south of here they fly over a lot going to the corn fields north and east of here. Will post when they start to pass.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It must be fall . Yesterday afternoon they were going south by the ten's of thousand's in central South Dakota ! :confused:

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good God if you want to see a piss pile of honkers go across the expressway bridge they are pilling up in the open spots there as the river refreezes.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It must be fall . Yesterday afternoon they were going south by the ten's of thousand's in central South Dakota ! :confused:

It's like a clock every year. Show up the 3rd weekend of March in the east central part of the state and you have the bulk of the birds right there in front of you. They may be gone the next week, but they have been there that weekend every year. For those out there next weekend it will be fun!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good God if you want to see a piss pile of honkers go across the expressway bridge they are pilling up in the open spots there as the river refreezes.
It's so crazy with darks in Bismarck. I went to work shortly before 9 birds just training to the NE had a break around 11 ran home same shit finished at 330 same shit all day birds just training to corn fields. Baldwin west of hwy is absolutely sickening with darks. The entire western horizon oh I did see 1 snow in there should we all fight over him?

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's so crazy with darks in Bismarck. I went to work shortly before 9 birds just training to the NE had a break around 11 ran home same shit finished at 330 same shit all day birds just training to corn fields. Baldwin west of hwy is absolutely sickening with darks. The entire western horizon oh I did see 1 snow in there should we all fight over him?

HE IS MINE:cool:

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Some good numbers of snows were working their way up Hwy 83 earlier in the week just across the boarder. I'm guessing they have since retreated. I'll be making a couple of trips down to SD this week and will update if any birds around.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck airport reporting 5.1" of snow as of this morning. That was suppose to be the weaker of the two. I made a quick trip out of town last evening will return shortly but did we really get that much bis guys? Minot had maybe 1/2"-1" as of this morning

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say about 2", maybe 3" on my driveway in central Bismarck this morning.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I see where you saw the 5.1 and I'm not going to say that guy doesn't know how to measure snow ....But that guy either got stuck under a band the rest of us didn't or hes been lying about other measurements to his wife for years! I have same as zoop 2 to 3 I would say.

As for the Bismarck birds got this shot crossing the bridge yesterday....It doesn't do the numbers Justice.

Screenshot_20170311-134829.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7