State Pen

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure hope none of you ever have a friend or family member go to prison. It is not all that and a bag of chips. Other than those that are sentenced to life will be released into the community. Socializing and respect is an important piece rehabilitation. Although they have broken the law they are still humans and should be treated as such. Educate yourselves please!!!

Let me guess, you voted for Hilary?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
child molesters and rapist should be killed there is no rehab for them

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't turn the article and details in the article into the broad viewpoint of something like Rehabilitation VS Solitary Confinement.

IMO the biggest take away from the article is the administration is more concerned about the performance and metrics on paper than the health, safety, and well being of the employees. Fudging numbers and stats to make themselves or their specific system look like it is succeeding.

However, there are two sides to every story and anonymous sources lack some creditability.

Director of NDDOC is a Governor appointed position. Sounds like he needs to do his own review of the department

The Governor Burgum and his wife are buddy buddy with the Director of the NDDOC, therein lies the problem....

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have spoken with more than one previous "resident" of the various correctional systems and they ALL say a variant of this thought. They all would rather spend over a year in the pen than 6 months in county jail. All of them say if you do something illegal, make sure you do it "bad" enough to get over a year so you can go to the pen. I didn't take this as a good thing, but there it is.

My friend who is a guard at the Penn, tells me the exact same thing.

I've also toured the new detention center (jail) in Bismarck, before it was open, and the guards there told me the same thing. The inmates would rather get 366 days, and spend it at the Penn.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a person that has worked with offenders for over 20 years I can attest that treating offenders with respect is beneficial to their rehabilitation. 90% of them will be released into the community. The corrections officers should interact with the inmates and should be a role model for them as well. Treatment programs and humane living conditions are a vital component to get them ready for their release. Draconian thinking that offenders should be isolated, limited interaction other than with offenders and offered no programs to help them succeed will only make there return to the community a disaster. Just because you make bad choices in life does not mean you should be treated as subhuman. Most of the offenders do not have support systems or good role models in their lives so it is vital they are offered at least some sort of encouragement/interaction from those that are suppose to help them. Try spending a few nights in jail and see how comforting it is. It is not what you think. Please educate yourselves. The world would be a better place if you would.

It is not politically correct to call them inmates they are to be referred to as residents, educate yourself.

The world would be a better place if these sub human pieces of shit would not commit the crimes that result in their incarceration in the first place at tax payers expense.

as for the 90% that are released back into society this study suggests 83% will be arrested again within 9 years with 42% of those arrested in the 1st year following release

2018 Update on Prisoner Recidivism: A 9-Year Follow-up Period (2005-2014)Mariel Alper, Ph.D., Matthew R. Durose, BJS Statisticians, Joshua Markman, former BJS Statistician
May 23, 2018 NCJ 250975

Examines the recidivism patterns of former prisoners during a 9-year follow-up period. The report provides data on the number and types of crimes prisoners commit after release, by offender characteristics, commitment offense, whether the arrest was within or outside the state of release, and whether released prisoners had no subsequent arrests during the follow-up period. It also shows how recidivism and desistance patterns change when using longer or shorter follow-up periods, including cumulative and annual arrest percentages, year of first arrest following release from prison, and the total number of arrests of released prisoners. Findings are based on data from BJS's Recidivism Study of State Prisoners Released in 2005 data collection, which tracked a sample of former prisoners from 30 states for 9 years following release in 2005. Source data are from prisoner records reported by state departments of corrections to BJS's National Corrections Reporting Program and national criminal history records from the FBI's Interstate Identification Index and state criminal history repositories via the International Justice and Public Safety Network.
Highlights:

• The 401,288 state prisoners released in 2005 had 1,994,000 arrests during the 9-year period, an average of 5 arrests per released prisoner. Sixty percent of these arrests occurred during years 4 through 9.
  • An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years, 79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years.
  • Eighty-two percent of prisoners arrested during the 9-year period were arrested within the first 3 years.
  • Almost half (47%) of prisoners who did not have an arrest within 3 years of release were arrested during years 4 through 9.
  • Forty-four percent of released prisoners were arrested during the first year following release, while 24% were arrested during year-9.

• https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6266

weakstream

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the hell does that have to do with anything. Your a moron and guessing uneducated as well.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand it is exactly as what KDM posts. Jail is worse than prison, other than a shorter stay behind bars. In prison life is actually pretty decent and the days are less torturous on the mind. Spending one year in a jail is much worse. I would've thunk it differently but I guess there is a difference between the two.

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is not politically correct to call them inmates they are to be referred to as residents, educate yourself.

The world would be a better place if these sub human pieces of shit would not commit the crimes that result in their incarceration in the first place at tax payers expense.

as for the 90% that are released back into society this study suggests 83% will be arrested again within 9 years with 42% of those arrested in the 1st year following release

2018 Update on Prisoner Recidivism: A 9-Year Follow-up Period (2005-2014)Mariel Alper, Ph.D., Matthew R. Durose, BJS Statisticians, Joshua Markman, former BJS Statistician
May 23, 2018 NCJ 250975

Examines the recidivism patterns of former prisoners during a 9-year follow-up period. The report provides data on the number and types of crimes prisoners commit after release, by offender characteristics, commitment offense, whether the arrest was within or outside the state of release, and whether released prisoners had no subsequent arrests during the follow-up period. It also shows how recidivism and desistance patterns change when using longer or shorter follow-up periods, including cumulative and annual arrest percentages, year of first arrest following release from prison, and the total number of arrests of released prisoners. Findings are based on data from BJS's Recidivism Study of State Prisoners Released in 2005 data collection, which tracked a sample of former prisoners from 30 states for 9 years following release in 2005. Source data are from prisoner records reported by state departments of corrections to BJS's National Corrections Reporting Program and national criminal history records from the FBI's Interstate Identification Index and state criminal history repositories via the International Justice and Public Safety Network.
Highlights:

• The 401,288 state prisoners released in 2005 had 1,994,000 arrests during the 9-year period, an average of 5 arrests per released prisoner. Sixty percent of these arrests occurred during years 4 through 9.
  • An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years, 79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years.
  • Eighty-two percent of prisoners arrested during the 9-year period were arrested within the first 3 years.
  • Almost half (47%) of prisoners who did not have an arrest within 3 years of release were arrested during years 4 through 9.
  • Forty-four percent of released prisoners were arrested during the first year following release, while 24% were arrested during year-9.

• https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6266

Ted Nugent said it best, " I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What the hell does that have to do with anything. Your a moron and guessing uneducated as well.

hey were glad that you are reformed but just because you read a few books in the prison library does not make you educated.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

You are an example of what is wrong with the system. You coddle the criminals and say " treating offenders with respect is beneficial to their rehabilitation. " but show no respect and resort to name calling when given a study that shows rehabilitation has little success. since I have never been arrested or incarcerated apparently I don't deserve the same respect you say the convicts should be given.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
mic-drop.jpg

campchef

Honored Member
I would imagine most of you are too young to recall the "celebrity marriage" of the convicted killer Mark Bell to that hooker from Mandan. The warden at that time lost his job because he did not sanction that marriage and refused to attend. Needless to say a woman was in charge as the Director of Institutions and she went on to Rugby and got slapped down with convict/staff fraternization and escape. I am not opposed to women in charge or in Management (heck, I'd vote for Condoleza Rice for president) but, please. Throw affirmative action out the window and let's concentrate on merit!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just guessing here but I'm thinking you are a probation officer/social worker. How many times does an offender have to violate the conditions before they are revoked? And yes, probation officers may be licensed but they are not cops.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, your in this instance is you're.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just guessing here but I'm thinking you are a probation officer/social worker. How many times does an offender have to violate the conditions before they are revoked? And yes, probation officers may be licensed but they are not cops.

- - - Updated - - -

my wife worked for child protection and the reformed people are the ones who gave her nightmares with what they did to the kids after getting out.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The humanity of a prisoner can be respected without coddling them. I guarantee you I could run that prison and have far fewer return. Rehabilitating is fine, but you don't have to drop the punishment part of it to do that. A little misery convinces the thick headed ones. I think a psychiatric evaluation would be useful in how you treat a prisoner and at least three levels of treatment could be incorporated. Since we don't have the death penalty the violent criminals can have treatment that is the least comfortable.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Had as a family member who was having drug and legal issues. They’d constantly violate probation and both us and the probation officer would do all we could to have their probation revoked. But their higher ups wouldn’t allow them too. The line staff said it was super frustrating as their requirements would be a joke to these people. They said it was all about money. Prison is full and if they revoke them they had to pay the local jails. We had to call and threaten their supervisor to a lawsuit if anything happened to this family member because of his allowing them to violate with no repercussions. Only then did he finally do what his officers and us wanted. Probation is a joke nowadays. I remember when I was younger if you knew someone on probation if they were out 5 minutes after their curfew they went to jail. These people need treatment and help with skills to become valuable members of society, but they also need repercussions when they flat out f up.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What ever happened to "Hard Labor"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48