Sub sonic ammunition

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is sub sonic ammo in any caliber?
ive only used subsonic in 22lr, but if you reload, you can load just about any cartridge to shoot subsonic loads. People often use pistol/shotgun powder in centerfire cartridges for this purpose.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short range shooting with low-reports in areas or situations you need something to die.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
not at all, I own and hunt with Savage rifles... Gun snobs wouldnt even pick one up! Right Jiffy?
Oh your original post seemed to me more on the lines of dripping with sarcasm to make fun of someone not familiar with the ammo that is defined as sub sonic. I see were my assumption was a mistake and i took the 5 word post out of context :rolleyes:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,sub sonic in .22lr sound slightly lower than speed of sound, no 22 crack just over 1100fps,best used in bolt rifle as semi may have cycling issues.

I lean towards 22lr quiet loads 710fps,55gr as to not freak neighbors out dispatching vermon.

Leo's in our area use both sub sonic and quiet rds in 9mm,little more hp to cycle semi automatic

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sub sonic is a bullet that has less powder to discharge the lead past the speed of sound ? And is basically used on targets or objects where noise decibels need to be as low as possible got it 👍

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sub sonic is a bullet that has less powder to discharge the lead past the speed of sound ? And is basically used on targets or objects where noise decibels need to be as low as possible got it 👍
Actually lunk,sub sonic stays below the speed of sounds slightly, still less sound than my 177 critter getter,quiet loads rule for my needs.,had issues at my house with wood chucks, one tore up my dog good, pellet rifle didnt cut it.

Had my sights on a ruger 22lr heavy barrel with built in suppressor ( ruger 10/22) now that suppressor 's are legal in my state,red tape was taking months,feds,ugh,quiet loads saved the day and my pocket book.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
my 22lr with subsonic loads is quieter than my .177 pellet gun by a lot, also more effective.
My pellet gun is very loud. The subsonic 22lr are barely audible. Works great to shoot rabbits out the bedroom window.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My pellet gun is very loud. The subsonic 22lr are barely audible. Works great to shoot rabbits out the bedroom window.

Right, mine is right up there with a 22LR. I was amazed when I first shot it, but that sucker kills yard vermin.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88