Sweating like a whore in church

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out yesterday after 2 pm to blast some cocks, wow was it hot. I would have stripped down to my undies if the guys would have not been along.
The pickup said 81* not sure that was right or not, anyway I was wondering if you guys ever had a dog die in this warm of weather. One of the guys along with us had an older dog, that I am not sure made it through the night. We kept them watered, and even had the antelope creak running through the area that they cooled off in. This old dog was unable to even get himself off the shop floor when I left for home, just laid there breathing hard and looking like each breath might be the last.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had one die from hunting, but lost a chocolate lab to heat stroke in the summer once. Also, one day when our 13 year old springer was out hunting grouse in september got overheated and started having seizures...gave her plenty of water all day she just loved to hunt and never knew when to quit.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear that! It was 86 opening Saturday of pheasant where I was hunting south of Dickinson. I shut my 8 month old springer pup down at noon. Not worth it. It wasn't that many years ago I read or heard that a good number of hunters lost their dogs in SD during an unusually hot pheasant opener. I wonder how many miles man's best friend puts on a day versus us humanoids? I bet someone on here has put a pedometer or such on their animal. I bet it is an eye opening amount.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opener was brutal. I think I almost got sick from the heat as well. We hunted without the dogs after about noon-1pm. I saw 89 degrees on the truck for a while.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any temp above 60 seems to hot to have most dogs out in. Not so good for hunters either. A friend of mine lost two buddies during warm pheasant hunting trips. Heart attacks.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry got to say it,;:;badidea Why would you work a old dog or any dog that hard in that kind of heat. Wrong very Wrong. unless you don't give a S**T.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
We put in about 3 miles yesterday bird hunting. My half lab, half short hair had a brutal seizure when we got back to the pickup. Lasted about 3-4 minutes. Foaming at the mouth, jerking hard, eyes dilated fully. She was blind for about 2-3 minutes after the seizure ended, she couldnt see us, but she calmed down once she smelled our hands. About 10 minutes after it first started, she was back to almost normal, just super tired. One of the worst things ive ever had to experience in my hunting career. The pup is only 3.5 years old and is in phenomenal shape. I really didnt think we over worked her at all. We were back at the truck before noon. We stopped for 2 water breaks for her, 10-15 minutes each. Will def. be taking it easier on her for awhile. Still not sure what to think about it.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am surely not a Vet..so if the following advice is incorrect..please correct me.
Feel your dogs body...if it's warm..cool their body down by rubbing cool water on them and rest them for the rest of the day. Their body needs to cool down. Happened to me about 10 yrs ago with the springer I had at the time..it was only like 65 degrees out..but that's even pushing it...
I also now carry one of the goofy looking fanny packs on my waist.(not the touristy kind you see dorks wearing). Mine is camoflauged.and I have a squirt bottle full of water in it...Works great on any long walk where water doesn't happen to be near. I highly recommend making sure you have water available in case you don't get back to the truck in a long while.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first dog was a cross lab-golden retriever he had grand mall seizures yea the first time you see that its scary. just what to add it wasn't because of heat, the dog had issues.

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with BDub....you get up over that 60 degree mark and you over dress in the am..you gonna soak you undies off...its either quit or taking your time walking back to the truck or field. And for the dogs....I have never like seeing a dog pant hard when its warm out...thats just wrong in my eyes.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen it all --- even a dog that appeared to be sweating - still never figured that one out. If your going to hunt in the heat --buy a shorthair (or similar breed) and leave all the long hair or swimming breeds at home.

Or alter the other dogs in and out ---- and give the gsp a lunch hour. Bring plenty of water along, put that water on kidneys, stomach and chest. Stop em frequently and let them acclimate. Shade and where they rest is just as important. A dusty back of the truck with a kennel cover is a not.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he/she make it johnny? That shop floor is inbread into them -- they are laying on that cold cement just like it was cold soil and trying to get the midparts of the body cooled off. My bet that dog made it and with some exercise will probably show up a un-excercised young one one weekend.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
it was 90 in zeeland on opener. this particular springer that i have has a problem with this every year the first time or two out on the first walk or two. i've had to stop and wait 20-30 minutes and water the hell out of her and pour it on her body. after the first time or two, it doesn't happen again. but, we've got to the point where we won't hunt em when its hot out like than for any extended period of time without hunting next to water so they can cool off regularly. frankly, that's where the birds are at anyway in that kind of weather.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya, the old fella is okay today, about 20* cooler than yesterday. These guys were from California, can you fricken believe they even had residents that own guns, and hunt? Anyway my friend is an outfitter south of town, and these guys come up every season to hunt, actually a great group of guys despite the state they decided to call home.
Today they headed to eureka SD where one of them had a family farm stead.
My short hair was running nonstop, he absolutely will not tire out, ever. There is a creek that runs right through the property, my dog knows to jump in, and drink a few times through out the hunt, but these guys dogs were to fancy to swim in the creek I guess.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
My shorthair gets over heated pretty easily. I leave her at home if it is over 60 degrees. I would advise anyone to do the same.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's going to hot out I'll only hunt till 10 or so. Then call it a day. I would say 60-65 is the max temp I will hunt my dog in.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's going to hot out I'll only hunt till 10 or so. Then call it a day. I would say 60-65 is the max temp I will hunt my dog in.

Same here, labs just aren't built for it. Just like with humans, if they're showing symptoms of hyperthermia it may already be too late.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad to hear the dog made it.

I though for sure this was going to be a discussion related to that picture you took in PA :)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep left my old.dog home on Sunday and today just to hot for him. We only had to do two walks today to get the groups 30 birds. On walk was a slew and my yellow lab went swimming a few times. Lots of water and taking.plenty of time between walks when it is this hot out.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opening weekend this year was the worst I have ever seen. We had 10 dogs and switched them out every other walk, but by 10:30 it was just damn hot. Plus I don't think I would be able to go home if I brought a dead dog home.

A vet told me that caring water is the best thing you can do, but he also told me that a lot of the times dogs seizures are from low blood sugar. He told me to have some sugar water or honey available that you can give the dog.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a lab a few years back that wouldn't show any sign of weakness or exhaustion until it was too late, overheated himself so bad he came out delirious and walking sideways, pissed blood for two days, arterial walls thinned soo badly. I agree with the others 65 is our limit as well, horrible sight to see.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88