Television Options

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
At some point my wife decided that we should have bare bones cable and I have somehow survived without ESPN. ;:;banghead But enough is enough. I need sports television back in my TV viewing life. So the question is.... DirectTV, Dish Network or Midco? What does everybody have and how do you like it. I know one upside of Midco is getting more UND hockey games. But I need some feedback from the trusty members of NDA before I pull the trigger.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have midco and its pretty good actually. only down side is that the price seems to go up about every three months. thinking about dropping it all t/g because of the price, but I'm in the same boat, don't think i could do without espn or the outdoor channel.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have DirectTV at our camper lake lot. Plain jane options for like $29.99 month. Its ok, I guess, although we do not get Fox Sports North so no Mn Twins and no ESPN. We would have to fancy up our options to get more than the plain jane, which we have decided not to do.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually like midco as well. I do not like their prices though. As was said earlier, prices seem to jump all the time. BUT, I usually act the disgruntled customer angle and claim I will just go with dish and I get a discount for a while.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Directv for us. If you get the package with CBSsports net, last year they broadcast 8 Sioux games. I also get the NCHC package which carries the Midco feed and use a HDMI cable from the laptop to put the game on the big screen in HD.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
ESPN has really gone down hill. I stopped watching it awhile back. It's nothing but social commentary and you can guess what kind of social commentary comes out of a news network in the Northeast. I stick to Fox Sports 1 for sports highlights and the like.

I have Midcontinent, also thinking of dropping it.

eklindworth

Founding Member
Founding Member
Directv for us as well. Between CBS sports, NBC sports channel, Fox Sports North, and NCHC.com hooked up through the computer to the TV, we watched most Sioux games last year. We also have both the east and west feed for NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX so I often have more than two different early and later NFL games to choose from.

We also get NFL network for those Thursday and Saturday NFL games.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Directv for us. If you get the package with CBSsports net, last year they broadcast 8 Sioux games. I also get the NCHC package which carries the Midco feed and use a HDMI cable from the laptop to put the game on the big screen in HD.

This is my set up as well. Hoping to trying and stream the NCHC feed right through the browser on my smart tv this year just to eliminate the need for the computer but I'm not sure how well it will work.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been with DirecTV for 5 years now and yesterday I got sick of paying $140 a month.... called them up to make sure I wasn't under contract so I could cancel and switch to something different. They asked why I was wanting to switch so I told them because I am paying too much for what they give me.... Dish has an offer out now 250+ channels for $85/ month for the entire life of the 2 year contract. Told the gal from DirecTv that I was going to be switching to dish and she said they had some "discounts" that I was eligible for.... my payment will now be $91/month for the next year. Also, she told me that if I sign a 1 year contract they will give me NFL Sunday ticket for free. I now have NFL Sunday ticket for free lol. I Really do like directv, just gotta watch your bill and pay attention when they call you with offers for 3 months of free premium channels.... after 3 months they start billing you for them....

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
TV is for wussies, go outside and do something productive.... :;:stirthepotLike make stew over a bonfire!

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go back and forth, with satellite and cable, to secure your best bang for the buck. I did Midco for two years and then I swapped for DirecTV for two years. That way you receive every 'package' at the lowest rates and also become a 'new' customer to the competitor with that two year break.

I just called DirecTV to cancel my subscription and they just offered me $40/mo less and a free Sunday Ticket subscription for staying. Next year, I'll call once again and if it isn't something similar I'll switch back to Midco for their two-year special. I will now pay almost $500 less in fees this next year only because I made a phone call. Can you say NEW TOY from Scheels is warranted? Yup!

What all those companies want is the customer that doesn't price check and pay by auto-pay. Recurring transactions makes them the most $$$$ revenue.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm, guess i've just been lucky. I've had Midco for 5 years now and my bill has never changed in that time. Also, compared to any other service provider i've ever had, their internet is unbeatable.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
We kept our cable internet and switched to dish, so many more options and the bill is lower. Only downside is my wife has so much more crappy programming to watch.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 210
  • This month: 175
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 63