Theft of Property

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
So here's my story. Broke my leg at work in March. While sitting in the emergency room they asked for my insurance card, didn't think anything about that at the time. Workmens comp was actually very good to deal with. About a month later I came down with pleurisy and then the wife got it. We both ended up at the doctors office. When we got the bill for the Dr visits we came to find out that Sanford had cleaned out our Health Savings Account which had about $2300 in it to pay for Dr visits. we have been battling with Sanford in Bismarck and Sioux falls to try and get it straightened out. They say their wheels turn slow and they will get it taken care of, so they put the bill on hold for 30 days. Pretty soon we get calls from a collection agency in Sioux Falls and I explain it to them. They tell us to contact Sanford and we do, trying to get straightened out. Been going round and round for 8 months. getting tired of it. Sanford tried to claim that they never took the money from the HSA so we faxed them the bill showing them that they did. Then they tried to claim that they never received the Fax but we have a confirmation that they did. Sick of dealing with these asshats. As far as I'm concerned they stole the $2300 which they had no right to take. Any ideas on how to deal with this mess? Would contacting the Attorney General or Insurance commissioner be the next thing to do?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You’re not the only one to have issues with their billing department. Unmitigated chaos is their m.o.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You sure your not talking about the hospital in Minot, they don't have a billing dept., they have a chaos dept.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call your HSA carrier, as long as you never signed a receipt you'll have the money back in 5days. You can call the DOI but the will just make sure Sanford is working to resolve. If it's gone to collections and hit your credit the Federal trade commission may help. (Assuming you didnt unlnowigly give them permision)Filing a police report will get them moving and help out if they do cause you credit issues.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d call workers comp and ask them if they paid Sanford. Then I’d talk to your HSA provider and try to get workers comp and your HSA provider to work it out with Sanford. I don’t have any personal experience with this but it’s what I would try next if it were me.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would talk to an attorney and see if you can press charges. It's time someone put these people in their place. We have been arguing with them for months. My wife and I went in for a tetanus shot. We are on Medicare and also have full Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said neither would pay for tetanus shots. We called and yes they do. So we called them back. Then their excuse was the clinic didn't bill it with the correct code. We called the clinic and they said yes they did. The guy in Sioux Falls was very disrespectful to my wife. Today we got a letter from Medicare and the bill has been paid for a long time and we owe zero. I will make one more call, but if I get another bill the crap will hit the fan.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would talk to an attorney and see if you can press charges. It's time someone put these people in their place. We have been arguing with them for months. My wife and I went in for a tetanus shot. We are on Medicare and also have full Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said neither would pay for tetanus shots. We called and yes they do. So we called them back. Then their excuse was the clinic didn't bill it with the correct code. We called the clinic and they said yes they did. The guy in Sioux Falls was very disrespectful to my wife. Today we got a letter from Medicare and the bill has been paid for a long time and we owe zero. I will make one more call, but if I get another bill the crap will hit the fan.

Medicare only covers a tetanus shot if you hurt yourself. Preventive boosters your SOL.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theft of property by insurance companies and healthcare organizations is nothing new. You don't pay every employee an average of six figures, return 8% year after year AND build brick and mortar like you are using slave labor by doing business like the nuns of yesteryear. Those days are long gone. The last 2 years my family has spent 28k (32k if you count airfare and hotel) and 24k out of pocket. Our premium next year goes from 1250 to 1530. Family deductible 8k.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong. Care for my family is nearly priceless. But, one year I did the math on it. We paid nearly 600 per hour if they were billing like I am required to bill for jobs that don't involve non refundable retainers. That was the average including nurses, surgeons, pediatrics, etc.... AND that was my cost. I can't be sure what the insurance company ate cause i didnt keep track of their costs.

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have tried calling our HSA carrier and thats like pulling teeth, dial 1 for this 7 for that, finally, leave your name and phone number and we'll get back to you. Pretty much never get a call back. Can't remember signing a receipt, although they put me on painkillers so who knows. Wonder if filling out a police report would work to get the ball rolling. According to workmens comp they did pay. Their taking of the HSA and so far refusal to pay it back is what pisses me off. They are trying to collect for the pleurisy-doctor visits which the HSA was supposed to pay for.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have tried calling our HSA carrier and thats like pulling teeth, dial 1 for this 7 for that, finally, leave your name and phone number and we'll get back to you. Pretty much never get a call back. Can't remember signing a receipt, although they put me on painkillers so who knows. Wonder if filling out a police report would work to get the ball rolling. According to workmens comp they did pay. Their taking of the HSA and so far refusal to pay it back is what pisses me off. They are trying to collect for the pleurisy-doctor visits which the HSA was supposed to pay for.

They may have a online dispute form. If not there should be one on there website you could print off. They have timeframes they have to resolve these matters. The police report will at least get a hard record from both of you if it did have to go the legal route. I'm going hunting in the morning but when I get back I'll pm you a contact with there billing department. (I'll have to track it down). Personal and business I've had plenty of issues with Sanford but at the end of the day they have always made right.

- - - Updated - - -

Theft of property by insurance companies and healthcare organizations is nothing new. You don't pay every employee an average of six figures, return 8% year after year AND build brick and mortar like you are using slave labor by doing business like the nuns of yesteryear. Those days are long gone. The last 2 years my family has spent 28k (32k if you count airfare and hotel) and 24k out of pocket. Our premium next year goes from 1250 to 1530. Family deductible 8k.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong. Care for my family is nearly priceless. But, one year I did the math on it. We paid nearly 600 per hour if they were billing like I am required to bill for jobs that don't involve non refundable retainers. That was the average including nurses, surgeons, pediatrics, etc.... AND that was my cost. I can't be sure what the insurance company ate cause i didnt keep track of their costs.

My 3rd child and the other being sick at the same time cost me 24k and I worked for the insurance company at that time. This year we were paying 1200 and paid a 6k ded by March. And that was to be told there is nothing wrong with my wife. I started working part time at UPS almost for free so we could get decent insurance.(irony I sell health insurance)

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago, I interviewed for a job at Sanford. Interview went very well until I asked the two ladies, “what does your team do well?” They couldn’t answer the question. It was incredibly awkward.;:;rofl

I was offered the job. I did not take it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When something isn't going my way, I call and start asking to be transferred to the most important person in the company. It has worked very well for me.

It’s a good thing you never called my company. I used to take those phone calls when the person was yelling/swearing/crying and wanted to talk to “the manager.” You would not have gotten anywhere with me.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Medicare only covers a tetanus shot if you hurt yourself. Preventive boosters your SOL
You must have missed it. Our book says Medicare pays, and if you notice what I wrote Medicare did pay it. Also the Medicare letter says we owe zero, but Sanford keeps billing us for the entire cost.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been through the same bull shit with essential. When you get on their nerves enough they just transfer you to someone else who don't know nothing, like Schultz on Hogans Heroes. Until you can get face to face with someone in billing they will just give you the run-around and just blame someone else. Nothing matters to them when they are hundreds of miles away from the problem but a few feet seams to make a difference.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man what a bunch of bullshit. I've heard these horror stories with Sanford before.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Contact the Insurance Dept and file a complaint as well. Really shitty situation, hope it gets resolved soon!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember Merticare in Fargo was really bad…and I have heard nothing good about the Sanford process either…it’s like once they screw one thing up it just snowballs into a bigger mess…but Sanfords got some deep pockets and a good reputation in the region…might be worth contacting an attorney …

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been through the same bull shit with essential. When you get on their nerves enough they just transfer you to someone else who don't know nothing, like Schultz on Hogans Heroes. Until you can get face to face with someone in billing they will just give you the run-around and just blame someone else. Nothing matters to them when they are hundreds of miles away from the problem but a few feet seams to make a difference.

I’ve found that when people want to yell at you, they have a much harder time doing it in person. When you’re on the phone, it’s just an anonymous voice you’re yelling at. Going to see someone in person may backfire on you. I’m exceptionally polite on the phone and in person, but I’m not a 6’3” 225# bearded bastard when you imagine me on the phone.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28