This guy seems to deserve it...

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read that earlier this morning, and I figured he had more than enough chances to get it right, according to want is printed.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always wondered why we don't come down harder on people that break outdoor rules. The rules are quite simple and really black and white especially fishing related. No sympathy here

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid, my dad told me that if they wanted to, a Game Warden could confiscate your vehicles, guns/hunting equipment, fishing equipment, etc. Might not have been exactly true, but he scared me into believing it.

I was told at an early age, to never give a game warden a reason to look at you twice.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is crab fishing and crabbing not the same thing? :;:huh

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid, my dad told me that if they wanted to, a Game Warden could confiscate your vehicles, guns/hunting equipment, fishing equipment, etc. Might not have been exactly true, but he scared me into believing it.

I was told at an early age, to never give a game warden a reason to look at you twice.

The second amendment protects your from them taking your guns, if they ask for it, tell them no.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Absolutely,nail this dickhead to the wall....

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The second amendment protects your from them taking your guns, if they ask for it, tell them no.
Yeah I've always heard that if they ask and you hand it to them they can take it, but they cant just grab it on their own. Not at all sure if this is true though.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought that if you were found guilty of hunting violations that the Judge in court could order the forfiture of your hunting equipment which could include your vehicle or hunting rifle/gun.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It appeared that his fishing rights had already been taken. What's to stop him from doing this again? Perhaps a fine heavy enough that he has no funds to buy another boat. Unfortunately some criminals don't seem to ever learn. Jails are full of repeat offenders. At least if he's in jail he's not fishing.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

i know a few people down here who have had them confiscated and court up held it.

- - - Updated - - -

It appeared that his fishing rights had already been taken. What's to stop him from doing this again? Perhaps a fine heavy enough that he has no funds to buy another boat. Unfortunately some criminals don't seem to ever learn. Jails are full of repeat offenders. At least if he's in jail he's not fishing.

He will still have a chance at catching crabs in there though

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
On Lake Erie, several times game and fish have confiscated fishing gear, boats, trailer, vehicles. Even commercial fisherman and fish houses have been taken to task over illegal harvesting, lost their businesses. I have no sympathy. Jail time should be prescribed in cases like this.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I've always heard that if they ask and you hand it to them they can take it, but they cant just grab it on their own. Not at all sure if this is true though.

I am willing to wager a pretty fair sum that this is not true. If the warden has a reason to take your gun/fishing rod/whatever, I'm pretty sure they don't need your permission, or for you to hand it over willingly. This is how really bad encounters with LEOs become a sad headline.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, I wonder how the listed punishments/restrictions would fare under the U.S. Constitution? Banning someone from owning a "fishing vessel" is kind of out there for me. What if he wanted to simply own one and rent it out? I think the SCOTUS would frown upon something like this, but I'm not sure under what portion of the Constitution they'd use to rule that excessive.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am willing to wager a pretty fair sum that this is not true. If the warden has a reason to take your gun/fishing rod/whatever, I'm pretty sure they don't need your permission, or for you to hand it over willingly. This is how really bad encounters with LEOs become a sad headline.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, I wonder how the listed punishments/restrictions would fare under the U.S. Constitution? Banning someone from owning a "fishing vessel" is kind of out there for me. What if he wanted to simply own one and rent it out? I think the SCOTUS would frown upon something like this, but I'm not sure under what portion of the Constitution they'd use to rule that excessive.

You're probably correct Allen. Or maybe. Or it would seem to make sense that this is perhaps overstepping. Again though, like in the concealed carry thread - you might win your case, but at what expense?

I think that this guy isn't going to learn until his wallet is hit pretty hard. He might have started out all legal-like, but he's proven that when he gets his hands slapped, it doesn't slow him down. Once a guy decides that the rules don't apply to him, more rules won't make a difference. I doubt that having his name in the press is going to hurt his feelers. Maybe if it costs him tens of thousands, he'll switch jobs. Like, maybe stealing cars.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always had to chuckle when a judge would take away a persons hunting and or fishing rights for a game infraction. What the heck, they weren't stopped from hunting or fishing before and broke the law, so what would make them stop because a judge ordered it?
Jail time and big dollar fines is what is needed. That and confiscation of boats and vehicles and sell them suckers on auction!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88