Velvet Buck Question

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard that if you are lucky enough to shoot a velvet buck that there is something you must do to preserve the velvet on the antlers if you are looking to mount them.

Does anyone know if this is accurate or what you need to do if you get one opening weekend with the velvet still on?

Also, who to contact in the Bismarck area to mount should I get lucky this weekend?

Thanks in advance.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a 4x4 out of velvet last night. With the season being late a week this year most of the velvet will be falling off. If you do get a velvet buck take it to a taxidermist immediately to have them preserve it. If you cant get to one right away put the horns in the freezer.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah. I was just wondering if there is something I should do other than freeze em if I can't get it to a taxidermist. Checked my cam last night and have a very nice 5x4 coming in at 8:30am. Hoping he stays on the same pattern this Saturday.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dakota taxidermy is the place to bring it, you spend more, it takes longer, but you get top notch results.
It is on airport road I believe in south Bismarck.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could buy a product from the taxidermy supply companies and do it yourself--- As long as you follow proper label instructions! We don't want the taxidermy supply police coming and charging someone with improper usage of said preservative.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could buy a product from the taxidermy supply companies and do it yourself--- As long you follow proper label instructions! We don't want the taxidermy supply police coming and charging someone with improper usage of the said preservative.

Ha

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could buy a product from the taxidermy supply companies and do it yourself--- As long as you follow proper label instructions! We don't want the taxidermy supply police coming and charging someone with improper usage of said preservative.

If I get an email, I will inform those of you that reply so you can delete your name from this thread so you are no implicated in an "illegal use of taxidermy products" investigation.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just make sure the tag gets on, had a buddy loose his deer and rights as well as a fine whilst he waited, same morning, to hear back from his taxidermist about how to tag the animal without damaging the velvet. Not sure what the solution was as far as wrapping the tag

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just make sure the tag gets on, had a buddy loose his deer and rights as well as a fine whilst he waited, same morning, to hear back from his taxidermist about how to tag the animal without damaging the velvet. Not sure what the solution was as far as wrapping the tag

I would think using the tag backing and wrapping it around the antler under the tag would be fine. Your tag would still be stuck to the antlers with the sticky ends stuck together just not sticky around the antlers/velvet.

If that were done where it couldn't slide off, I would think that would still qualify as properly tagged. I could be wrong though. I didn't stay at a holiday Inn last night.

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
It needs to be injected with a preservative, keeps its look and the bugs away... think its like $75 sure u could do it yourself but I just trust a taxi better and have enough crap laying around the house... in Bismarck have seen good work by Dakota and WetnWild Taxidermy..

- - - Updated - - -

I would think using the tag backing and wrapping it around the antler under the tag would be fine. Your tag would still be stuck to the antlers with the sticky ends stuck together just not sticky around the antlers/velvet.

If that were done where it couldn't slide off, I would think that would still qualify as properly tagged. I could be wrong though. I didn't stay at a holiday Inn last night.

This is what I always do whether its in velvet or not..... can't come off and don't haft deal with glue and getting that crap off...

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just get it in a freezer right away, and worry about the taxidermist the next day.
Have done this with a couple archery bucks and it worked just fine.

velvetbucks.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy tear a piece of his t-shirt off, wrapped it around the base of the antler, and THEN tagged the deer. Brought it to the taxidermist and everything was fine.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy tear a piece of his t-shirt off, wrapped it around the base of the antler, and THEN tagged the deer. Brought it to the taxidermist and everything was fine.

Yep, or a sock has done in the past. The other thing that works well is just putting a piece of paper in between.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would strongly consider having the rack flocked anyway. I have a velvet muley and if I had it done again I would do the flocking instead.

Actual velvet

artificialvelvet1-1.jpg

Flocked antlers

Its more expensive, but if you like the look, take a picture and have the taxidermist replicate the color. Also, if you loose the velvet all is not lost.

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wrap the antler before tagging and freeze it

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you are fortunate enough to get a velvet buck be very careful handling it. This time of the year if you pass gas next to it it will come off.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11