Venison Brats

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard that 3be Meats makes very good venison brats/sausage. I have only had some of their venison jerky and it was very good.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might not be helpful beings I usually process my own but I made venison brat patties and they have been a hit in our house with even my girls. I got the seasoning from John and Waynes in Fargo

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Might not be helpful beings I usually process my own but I made venison brat patties and they have been a hit in our house with even my girls. I got the seasoning from John and Waynes in Fargo

i have an excess of ground meat this year. I love brats in the summer on the grill. how would you say the seasoning compares to store bought? I wanna do a small batch

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have an excess of ground meat this year. I love brats in the summer on the grill. how would you say the seasoning compares to store bought? I wanna do a small batch

We really like them and what I have noticed with their brat and breakfast sausage seasoning that they make/provide is that you can tweak to your liking. I spiked a few for different flavors like Itaian, bourbon peppercorn, chipotle. The breakfast I have added maple syrup, spicy with red pepper flakes

- - - Updated - - -

I have never had problems with most of their staff there, it is actually where I get my pigs through for my pig roasts

- - - Updated - - -

They usually can customize some batches but I think 5-10lbs is a minimum. If i ever have a odd number i just add meat or will measure the whole and decide fairly equally

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I used to make some using Cabela's seasoning, it was ok. I prefer to just leave it in bulk and freeze it and make patties and add some chopped onions before making them. Did some for Italian sausage but added diced onion and peppers. Veggies kept the meat moister. When we made links it was usually too dry, even when grinding pork back fat or shoulder in. Since I have no moral, ethical or religious concerns about pork; I prefer brats and Italian sausage made from that and save the red meat for various summer style sausages and sticks.

dirtybirds14

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had some from 3Be meats the other day, if you've had some of there brats before I think you can have them make any of there specialty brats out of your deer meat.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Owens BBQ. They are in Fargo brat seasoning is phenomenal. He is mossymo on here

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I used to make some using Cabela's seasoning, it was ok. I prefer to just leave it in bulk and freeze it and make patties and add some chopped onions before making them. Did some for Italian sausage but added diced onion and peppers. Veggies kept the meat moister. When we made links it was usually too dry, even when grinding pork back fat or shoulder in. Since I have no moral, ethical or religious concerns about pork; I prefer brats and Italian sausage made from that and save the red meat for various summer style sausages and sticks.

I agree about the pork. I made brats last summer and they were too lean. Brats are a bit fatty by nature. I measure my processing skills by figuring out if I can produce a wild game product that tricks a non wild game eater. The next time I make them, there will be more pork than venison in them. Ground and formed bacon works the same way IME. The ratios of meats depends on what I’m processing. I’ve learned this the hard way over the years. I’m so stubborn, good or bad, I eat it anyway.

limit2winit

Established Member
I won't disagree id rather have a pork brat, but wife is after something a little "healthier". she doesnt care for much else for venison, i have way to much breakfast sausage left for the time of year, and we seem to eat a lot of brats in summer. so thought it might be worth a shot to try a venison brat

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I won't disagree id rather have a pork brat, but wife is after something a little "healthier". she doesnt care for much else for venison, i have way to much breakfast sausage left for the time of year, and we seem to eat a lot of brats in summer. so thought it might be worth a shot to try a venison brat

You can achieve “healthier.” Idk if this helps, but the next time I try brats, it’s going to be a test between 60/40, 70/30 and 80/20 pork to venison respectively. My gut tells me that will be much tastier next time around.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
can a guy only buy sausage seasonjngs direct (Owens online) or can you stop somewhere in Fargo (brick/mortar)?

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mixed some up a few 50/50 test batches this year and they were way too dry! I've got a bunch of elk leftover that I want to get made up before the season roles around again. Any suggestions?

I'm going to make some burger, but would like to try something different.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
owens BBQ stuff is good.....i have only tried the garlic summer sausage blend this year. 25# batch and it is excellent. i do my original from recipe from Borns sold at capital city restruant supply in bismarck and that is fantastic too. i do plan to order more from moosymo next year in summer sausage with all the flavors they have. he is fast, reliable showed up in like 2 days and i ordered on a sunday evening.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mixed some up a few 50/50 test batches this year and they were way too dry! I've got a bunch of elk leftover that I want to get made up before the season roles around again. Any suggestions?

I'm going to make some burger, but would like to try something different.

How warm did you smoke the sausage to? I do a 50/50 blend and found if I let the meat get hotter than 170, it'll be dry. So at 165, I pull the sausage and immediatley put in an ice bath.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made brats with Owen's bacon-cheeseburger and the Philly cheese steak mixes. Both are very good. 50/50 deer and pork. I wish pork had more fat like it was 25 years ago.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a lot of the problems are that people smoke/cook them to a higher temp and then throw em on the grill. I've really haven't had any problems with a 50/50 blend or even a 70/30 for sticks. Everybody's tastes are different though!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33