Where are the youth deer pics?

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the years go by, I'm beginning to dislike the youth season.
Seems like it's all about " getting a buck" and sitting in a " blind".
My experiences say few will grow up to be hunters as that's what they were " taught".
Also, the Dad does everything but pull the trigger!

Get them kids out walking,getting muddy/ dirty, fatigued.
And yeah, it's FINE to shoot a doe.
I contacted G&F to see if the girls I help could wait until they are 15 to get their “any deer” youth tag. I got a reply that if they do that, they won’t be able to apply for anything when they are 14.
To be honest I was trying to work it out with our crop rotation so we’ll have corn by our main hunting spot.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My experiences say few will grow up to be hunters as that's what they were " taught".

My kids have done both - sit in a blind and hunt a buck (thank you KDM!!!!) and put in hard work hunting public. They've learned from both. We've got memories from both. And if dad is teaching while "doing everything" then it's worthwhile. They could be sitting on the couch playing video games. I hear what you're saying, but not sure how much it's actually happening the way you say it is. They get 3 years of doe to 1 year of buck. My son (and most others I know) are so excited to get into nature, stalk big game, and MAYBE close the deal. Would a kid rather kill a buck than a doe? Likely. But then again, so would most grown men.

I respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
what about a youth filling an adult's tag?
LOL, doesn't bother me at all. Have tagged a few deer my kids shot when they were beginning. Hunted with a group, back when groups were common, and the rule was "no deer shot by adults were to be tagged by anyone other than the shooter."
I know we weren't following the letter of the law but kids were excited to be shooting and this was at a time when many tags were available. That and they were supervised, not out running on their own.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Frankly I resent your comments. My daughter got two youth doe tags before spending 18 days hunting for her buck when she turned 14. She chose the days we hunted, it wasn't me. Did we spend time in a blind, yes we did. We also spent plenty of days scouting, glassing, and sitting on hill tops out in the elements and finding natural deer trails which payed of with a nice 140 class 5x5 whitetail (would've been 150 short of some busted tips) on the last Saturday of the season. Lots of father daughter time that year and it was great. 4 years later as a senior in highschool we still talk about that year and deer hunt.

My son has had a slight bit more experience taking advantage of 3 youth doe tags, although those aren't much of a challenge where we hunt. He currently has his once in a life time youth buck tag and we busted our a$$'s this weekend down on the bluffs of Sioux County, seen deer every day, could of shot a buck every day with a couple being ok 4x4 muley's, but HE chose to pass to hunt for something more significant which was 100% his choice, not mine. That didn't stop us from spotting, stalking, and getting within range to get a good look at those animals or enjoying a great weekend in the outdoors.

Getting that once in a lifetime youth "Any" tag is something kids look forward to, many times after 1, 2, or 3 years of hunting does. It is a big deal to kids.

Even though I'm a supporter of youth tags, Frankly, G&F has there head up their rear end as far as the youth season goes. I have no idea why they limit it to 1 week for the doe tags (and in September when the crops are on, deer are nocturnal, and its hot out most years) and then only to 1 week and regular deer season for the one "any" tag. It's not like the youth hunters are making some gigantic dent in the deer population. Why not open it on Sept 1 and close it on Jan 1, follow bow season or something of that nature. Peoples lives are damn busy, weather doesn't always cooperate (look at this coming weekend as an example 4 days of rain), the fact that kids have a lot different programs and commitments that they are part of at this at this age be it sports, youth activities, church, school, etc. My son is in football which pretty much kills every week night, and then they roll into basketball and go figure, but a couple of the tournament dates of course fall during regular deer season. So he's likely going to bail on his team that he made a commitment to so he can hunt during a pretty limited time frame. Couple that up with Sunday and or Wednesday church or confirmation and in order to get out in the field and spend the time needed to actually hunt and have success, puts them in a place where they are forced to skip other commitments. that's not a way to get more youth involved.

bucksnbears, if you think hard nose hunting, pushing brush trying to shoot a running deer, making kids chose to hunt over other activitys & commitments, and forcing them to hunt in shitty or inclimate weather is going to get more youth involved, your in lala land and part of the reason the sport is in the decline. I look back at how we used to hunt and of the 6 kids that I hunted with back in my early years, I'm the only avid one of the group, and 2 don't hunt at all anymore. Part of that goes back to the cheap shitty gear we had and being wet, muddy, cold and freezing experiences that made those hunts more like work than fun. Make it fun, make it rewarding, and you'll have far more on your side when it comes to hunting & gun issues in the future. We didn't kill a deer last weekend but it was still a darn rewarding trip. oh by the way, maybe you should change your avatar so it's a picture of you holding up a nice big doe since its "FINE" to shoot a doe?

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
and FWIW, my daughter has put in and fortunately drawn a tag every year since then in the general lottery, and hunted and filled those tags.........I expect my son to do the same in the future along with many miles on the boots chasing roosters with the dog!

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0658.jpeg

And we are done.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frankly I resent your comments. My daughter got two youth doe tags before spending 18 days hunting for her buck when she turned 14. She chose the days we hunted, it wasn't me. Did we spend time in a blind, yes we did. We also spent plenty of days scouting, glassing, and sitting on hill tops out in the elements and finding natural deer trails which payed of with a nice 140 class 5x5 whitetail (would've been 150 short of some busted tips) on the last Saturday of the season. Lots of father daughter time that year and it was great. 4 years later as a senior in highschool we still talk about that year and deer hunt.

My son has had a slight bit more experience taking advantage of 3 youth doe tags, although those aren't much of a challenge where we hunt. He currently has his once in a life time youth buck tag and we busted our a$$'s this weekend down on the bluffs of Sioux County, seen deer every day, could of shot a buck every day with a couple being ok 4x4 muley's, but HE chose to pass to hunt for something more significant which was 100% his choice, not mine. That didn't stop us from spotting, stalking, and getting within range to get a good look at those animals or enjoying a great weekend in the outdoors.

Getting that once in a lifetime youth "Any" tag is something kids look forward to, many times after 1, 2, or 3 years of hunting does. It is a big deal to kids.

Even though I'm a supporter of youth tags, Frankly, G&F has there head up their rear end as far as the youth season goes. I have no idea why they limit it to 1 week for the doe tags (and in September when the crops are on, deer are nocturnal, and its hot out most years) and then only to 1 week and regular deer season for the one "any" tag. It's not like the youth hunters are making some gigantic dent in the deer population. Why not open it on Sept 1 and close it on Jan 1, follow bow season or something of that nature. Peoples lives are damn busy, weather doesn't always cooperate (look at this coming weekend as an example 4 days of rain), the fact that kids have a lot different programs and commitments that they are part of at this at this age be it sports, youth activities, church, school, etc. My son is in football which pretty much kills every week night, and then they roll into basketball and go figure, but a couple of the tournament dates of course fall during regular deer season. So he's likely going to bail on his team that he made a commitment to so he can hunt during a pretty limited time frame. Couple that up with Sunday and or Wednesday church or confirmation and in order to get out in the field and spend the time needed to actually hunt and have success, puts them in a place where they are forced to skip other commitments. that's not a way to get more youth involved.

bucksnbears, if you think hard nose hunting, pushing brush trying to shoot a running deer, making kids chose to hunt over other activitys & commitments, and forcing them to hunt in shitty or inclimate weather is going to get more youth involved, your in lala land and part of the reason the sport is in the decline. I look back at how we used to hunt and of the 6 kids that I hunted with back in my early years, I'm the only avid one of the group, and 2 don't hunt at all anymore. Part of that goes back to the cheap shitty gear we had and being wet, muddy, cold and freezing experiences that made those hunts more like work than fun. Make it fun, make it rewarding, and you'll have far more on your side when it comes to hunting & gun issues in the future. We didn't kill a deer last weekend but it was still a darn rewarding trip. oh by the way, maybe you should change your avatar so it's a picture of you holding up a nice big doe since its "FINE" to shoot a doe?
You can't resent anything on here. Best just to insult their whore meemaws. :p

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a lot of guys on here had it different than now days. I had no problem with youth season some guys bitch they get first chance at all big bucks etc... so what. We are trying to get more people into hunting and fishing etc.. so be it. I think most of us have shoot so many deer does it really matter. Dad told me there will be a time you will get it, more than just the kill of big buck. Time in outdoors to make memory's that will last a lifetime. I try to help those I can right or wrong to some. Good luck to all youth hunters.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
So my take on this and the electronic posting is by example . My grandson made calls last year to landowners both electronic and paper. When he would call , He would leave his name , tell them he was a youth hunter and was asking permission to hunt . NOT a single call back , period .

I do a lot of pheasant hunting and the electronic posting has closed many quarters of land I used to hunt , especially late season when most others are watching football. Yes I have called .

My grandson continued to hunt even after the major blizzard , on the last weekend he tagged a massive 6x6 , due to very hard work d while most others had quit . Took it on an unposted piece of land not plots

You wonder why there are very few youth pics , access is the main reason

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So my take on this and the electronic posting is by example . My grandson made calls last year to landowners both electronic and paper. When he would call , He would leave his name , tell them he was a youth hunter and was asking permission to hunt . NOT a single call back , period .

I do a lot of pheasant hunting and the electronic posting has closed many quarters of land I used to hunt , especially late season when most others are watching football. Yes I have called .

My grandson continued to hunt even after the major blizzard , on the last weekend he tagged a massive 6x6 , due to very hard work d while most others had quit . Took it on an unposted piece of land not plots

You wonder why there are very few youth pics , access is the main reason
This is very similar to what I have experienced. Land will be posted by the non land owner and no response from them either. Last few years has been the toughest to access land in my opinion. I get it, it is their land they own it and can do what they want with it. Just very frustrating for youth hunters. I am to the point of pretty much giving up hunting for myself and kids. It's just not worth the hassle.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, access is a concern so that is why I got some spots and have put plots on to bring the deer to me.
And they do come so I do not have to go around the country looking for a spot. Whole family hunts on these plots.
In the old days as a kid and into my adult years we did the looking, driving all over and making drives but by 95 decided this was not the future so planted trees, habitat, food plots and bait and instead of chasing after deer they came to us.
Have done some of this on land I do no own but establish that relationship way back then for years.

This does not happen overnight but over time. db

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes, access is a concern so that is why I got some spots and have put plots on to bring the deer to me.
And they do come so I do not have to go around the country looking for a spot. Whole family hunts on these plots.
In the old days as a kid and into my adult years we did the looking, driving all over and making drives but by 95 decided this was not the future so planted trees, habitat, food plots and bait and instead of chasing after deer they came to us.
Have done some of this on land I do no own but establish that relationship way back then for years.

This does not happen overnight but over time. db
Seems like buying land is almost the only way to go these days....glad you have a nice area for the family. Makes for great memories!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is very similar to what I have experienced. Land will be posted by the non land owner and no response from them either. Last few years has been the toughest to access land in my opinion. I get it, it is their land they own it and can do what they want with it. Just very frustrating for youth hunters. I am to the point of pretty much giving up hunting for myself and kids. It's just not worth the hassle.
And sadly that's part of the endgame. That's a sad "thumbs up" 3R. It also could backfire into an age group without the "spark" to pass on to their kids and further perverted into overpaid "PH" operations exterminating like in libtard suburbs.

Last edited:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One thing I can say is I really do appreciate the guys that turn their land In to PLOTS. I have hunted them more than I can count. They usually aren't very productive for me, but nonetheless I do appreciate the access regardless of what I have been able to harvest.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As i read some more of this i am really glad we decided in 95 to have the deer come to us. No more chasing.

Maybe lucky but got to know landowners, form relationship and built deer spots on their waste land.

First one i brought his son with me. Dad was unable to do. Got a bow for him and together he learns to shoot. I was with him when he arrows his first buck about 15 years ago.
I still hunt at that spot with my family. Granddaughter shot her first deer, a buck there last year in her first sit. I know, some say that is not hunting but the year before she sat a number of days with no deer.

And so, it goes. As I said a few comments ago, it takes time but one thing I no longer do is plan where I will hunt next year. The spots are there, and the neighbor's deer come to me. db

Old days after walking a bit, then driving with a case of beer, radio on full blast looking for bucks running in the rut, yea it was fun but not part of my kid's life.

Jason_ness

Anybody get their youngster a deer yet? This old guy likes to live vicariously through the youth so post'em up and let us grey beards enjoy some young energy and enthusiasm. Thanks!
PXL_20230917_011639315.MP.jpg

My boy got his first buck out SW of Bowman. First buck first Muley! He also has a moose tag in Unit M6. Working on trying to find him a good one!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84