Where are the youth deer pics?

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa took our youth hunter out and all the does had fawns with. He decided to wait. I really like how the youth can carry this tag over to reg deer season.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa took our youth hunter out and all the does had fawns with. He decided to wait. I really like how the youth can carry this tag over to reg deer season.
I agree. It makes it worth it to wait for regular season when the weather is cooler. I hated taking my kids out deer hunting in the heat. The only time I see it being worth hunting youth season is when they have the 14 year old tag and you can go after a big buck before others get a chance.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know 4 people that went all weekend and didn't see a single deer.....

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like that they get to hunt reg season too the only thing I’ll say about that is that access might be tougher . Landowners that are allowing access to a youth in September are probably hunters also and will have a tag themselves or someone else that they’ll be saving the land for . I have a youth hunter trying right now for a buck and I will absolutely let them back for reg season . But some may not . That’s only negative I can think of .

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know 4 people that went all weekend and didn't see a single deer.....
Tough winter over here had lots of does abort. I have 5 does on one camera and not one has a fawn. I've laid eyes on exactly 3 fawns all year. Could be a lean hunting year, but hopefully the tall grass and other cover is hiding them and they will show up once crops are off.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Was surprised to not see any youth hunters this weekend. Was great weather for early season

Iwhackwheat

Founding Member
Founding Member
One down, one to go. Second youth season for my twin cousins
IMG_0628.jpeg

HuntND

Just to clarify, the youth antlerless tag (for 11, 12 and 13 year olds) is only good during youth season, it doesn’t carry over to the regular season. The youth any-deer tag (for 14-15 year olds) does carry through regular season.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just to clarify, the youth antlerless tag (for 11, 12 and 13 year olds) is only good during youth season, it doesn’t carry over to the regular season. The youth any-deer tag (for 14-15 year olds) does carry through regular season.
The law changed this year. All youth tags carry into regular season.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not against the youth season at all. But do have some concerns. When youth are out with a very small group of hunters I think they are missing the fun part of the hunt. Bunch or friends sitting around after the hunt telling lies and kidding each other about the misses (with the gun, not the wives.)

The social aspect of hunting is kind of left out during the youth season. The best part is that some adult isn't going to shoot a deer and expect the youngster to put their tag on it. One of my real pet peeves is adults filling a young hunter's tag.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried to help couple friends with access and for sure deer numbers are down in areas.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
No luck here. Saw quite a few does one evening but no bucks for my 14 year old on huntable land. Not many bucks around where we hunt this year from what I’ve seen.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not against the youth season at all. But do have some concerns. When youth are out with a very small group of hunters I think they are missing the fun part of the hunt. Bunch or friends sitting around after the hunt telling lies and kidding each other about the misses (with the gun, not the wives.)

The social aspect of hunting is kind of left out during the youth season. The best part is that some adult isn't going to shoot a deer and expect the youngster to put their tag on it. One of my real pet peeves is adults filling a young hunter's tag.
I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. The other side of the coin is that kids lives are busy and it can sometimes be hard to get meaningful one-on-one time with them. Sports, school, friends, etc. get in the way. Putting miles on with my boys, random conversations, learning together, and making father/son memories is priceless. For me (and I hope my boys) doing it alone is the only way I'd want to do it!

We're still chasing his doe, but wanted to share these cool pics from the Grasslands on Sunday morning/evening. Saw 3 does and 4 fawns Saturday just never got in range of our sit. Plenty on cam, just need to outsmart 'em.

1695168472376.png

1695168749720.png

1695171371129.png

Last edited:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

what about a youth filling an adult's tag?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the years go by, I'm beginning to dislike the youth season.
Seems like it's all about " getting a buck" and sitting in a " blind".
My experiences say few will grow up to be hunters as that's what they were " taught".
Also, the Dad does everything but pull the trigger!

Get them kids out walking,getting muddy/ dirty, fatigued.
And yeah, it's FINE to shoot a doe.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93