Whoopers

NodakBob

Honored Member
I saw two in a northbound flock of sandhills north of Bismarck the other day. Have actually seen whoopers quite a few times over the years while bird hunting northeast of Wilton. First time I saw some, my Dad took me a block north of Bismarck's Grimsrud School to see about 20 in the field south of I-94...that was in the mid 1960's...I remember him telling me about 50-60 of them existed at that time, and that most people will never see one in their lifetime...have been in to birdwatching ever since.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a decent picture of a couple of them by the Hazelton boat ramp in early April 2012, it was an early spring that year. Sent them to the FWS guy at Long Lake and he enhanced the picture and said the one had a transmitter on it.
P1010247.jpg

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a flock of about 8-10 fly over the house the other day. Had to do a double take and make sure they weren't pelicans. They were low enough that identification was easy, and there appeared to be a few young ones in the mix. Cool to see again finally.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Following whoopers would be a neat job.

For about maybe a year.

- - - Updated - - -

OK… Six months.

- - - Updated - - -

one full spring migration maybe

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a decent picture of a couple of them by the Hazelton boat ramp in early April 2012, it was an early spring that year. Sent them to the FWS guy at Long Lake and he enhanced the picture and said the one had a transmitter on it.
IMG_9096.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Those birds were annual visitors and liked to stay in the field across from my grandpa's house. Always gave the old fella something to do for a couple weeks each spring keeping a close eye on them and making sure people weren't bugging them.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
It happened today!! After 50+ years of bird watching I saw 4 adult whooping cranes flying right by the hwy 23/hwy 83 intersection. My first sighting ever. Pretty awesome.
Hope the dodged the wind towers. Cool seeing them that is for sure!!

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve never seen one, and honestly I didn’t know anything about them. I just ready they can stand 5’ tall, holy smokes. Hopefully I’ll be fortunate enough to run into one with my camera someday.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88