Wildlife stress

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I'm not an expert, but I will say that feeding deer in winter is an all or none type of thing. Once you start, YOU MUST CONTINUE UNTIL SPRING!! I can't stress that enough. The reason is that you will concentrate the deer and the environment could imprison them with deep snow. If you stop feeding them, they will starve. So if you can't go the distance you're better off not starting. Another thing to think about is that the number you will be dealing with WILL GROW as the winter progresses. 10 will become 75 real quick. I snow blow paths and feeding areas so the feed doesn't get buried in snow and the deer aren't fighting each other in close quarters to get it either. They do fight with each other and if you try to pack them all into a feed bucket, the fur will fly and many of the small fawns will die when the older deer keep them out of the food and they have no where else to go. You need to have a good open area where you spread the grain so all the deer can get some. You can see how big the area is that I blow snow for them. You don't need to fill their stomachs, you just need to give each of them just enough to get through. All of this takes time, money, and effort. Right now I spend about 20 minutes a day to put out the grain and make sure the snow is kept in check. As far as what I provide, it's a blend of corn, wheat, grass hay and alfalfa hay. The main staple is the hay, which provides a sustainable nutrition that more closely resembles the browse that the deer naturally switch to in winter. The grain is for a few quick calories the deer can burn to keep warm. The deer that I have will come in and grab a few mouths full of corn, then hit the bale, and then wander off to browse. They will continue this rotation throughout the day/night. I don't know about over feeding them, but I know I don't find any carcasses or hair piles in the spring to indicate a die off. Corn right now is about 7.50 a bushel and I'm going through about a bushel and a 1/3 per day with around 30 deer rotating through near as I can tell. This is along with free selection hay. An alfalfa bale runs about 75 bucks and a mix bale is around 50. Do the math and you will see what kind of commitment is required of you should you desire to start your own program. As you can see they have shredded about half of the bale I have out there now. I will be putting another bale out there after the first. That has been a pretty good recipe to keep the small group that camps out in my back yard in good shape throughout the winter, but with this early cold and deep snow, I'm getting loaded for bear. That means I expect the number of deer that will show up to triple. That said, I already have standby corn and wheat available should I need it come late Feb-April. Those spring ice storms are the devils own spawn for the critters so I'm prepared to deal with them should the need arise. I'm also not in this by myself. I have some neighbors that drop a few bales in strategic locations to help the deer and other critters in winter. I don't think I could afford doing this on my own without spreading the wealth so to speak. Being responsible for a bunch of wildlife isn't for the faint of heart. It takes time, effort, and money. Missing any of those ingredients and the critters will be better off without you. I hope this helps and Thank You for the kind words. Stay Safe Out There!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
See quite a few roosters next to the road or on it in the mornings going to get mail. If it wasn't for the deep ditches I would thin them out some. Way more roosters than hens from what I see. LB

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah LB. I'm seeing the same here. This will be a year where the roosters will push the hens out of cover and then eat them when they die. Roosters are real BASTAGES when winter gets rough.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove right over a hen on the HWY and she didn't move.

Boomtakem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for taking the time to write that up KDM! It's a good reminder of how much effort, expense, and committment you go through to support wildlife. We are going to make an effort here through spring to support the wildlife on our small acreage.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you and family!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's very good of you KDM. Offer stands as before, if you need a little assistance, shoot me a PM.
Merry Christmas 🎄

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
How would you like to have his grocery bill
Also I always enjoy your wildlife pics kdm

Side note do you think this guy is any relations to bubbles

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are the man KDM. Wish I was in ND to feed the birds but I am near the Mexican border. Guess I'll just put out the hummingbird feeder when it gets a little warmer. S'pose to get down to +25F tonight which is petty cold for the Rio Grande Valley.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all you do KDM. It's an honorable commitment and shows an undeniable love for the wildlife you support.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seeing your pics and write-up KDM brings back many good memories when we lived on our farm/ranch in ND.
We used to give them corn, barley, screenings and of course alfalfa bales. They wouldn't eat plain hay but loved the alfalfa. We had 20-30 head to begin with that balloned into 200-400 head as the winter got longer and more snows. A big bale of alfalfa would last 2-4 days and for the grains we gave them all they wanted.
It gets to be darn expensive as we were paying 60-75 bucks for an alfalfa bale and bought the grains from the local elevator and they would deliver it in the augered feed truck.
Sure do miss those days but don't miss the expense. I know a $1,000 a month wouldn't cover it when the herd got to 200-400 head. Good thing back then the grains were fairly cheap compared to today prices.
The pheasants sure thrived with those grains and of course our squirrels were the size of wood chucks. It was funny watching them try and run across the yard as they were just big fat toads!
My bride sure got a ton of horn pickings in the spring. We had many boxes of them when we moved to town.
Love seeing those pics so keep posting.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do same thank God for farmer friends, would get expensive in big hurry I help them throughout year and in return get to hunt and help myself to grains and hay. It will be a tuff year for sure which we did not need. Seems roosters are always plentiful vs hens. Deer and turkeys all learn in hurry. Going to plant big food plot next year of some multi seed stuff I found at Chesak seed in Bismarck. Was hard to find small grain seeder. Kinda hooked on this deal fun to look out and see all animals. Merry Christmas all

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
D628B23B-25BD-4E99-96DB-F3CFE53944F1.jpeg

Ruffnd

I think if they get stressed they drop early. LB
I agree. I found these in my backyard in town. I usually get a couple does that wander into my yard later in the winter. But yesterday there were 7 bucks by my trees. Crazy.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the current situation of the world, I find myself questioning everything... the statement that if you feed game animals you have to continue to spring.... heard it for years, seems like a basic truth, but if a truck tips over and the grain is left in the ditch, do all the animals that partake eventually die when it is consumed? Seems like the survival instinct of animals would kick in and they would move on to whatever they can find.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Questioning everything is always a good thing. When feeding deer, it's the moving from whatever they can find to the next whatever they can find through deep snow and frigid temps that saps their fat reserves. Once the fat is gone they start to consume their muscles and then they can't make the next move and die in the attempt. Deer yard up in an attempt to mitigate the caloric expenditures they'd have if they moved all over. Once I establish a "yarded" herd, I have to keep the food available. They will lose their fat reserves over time as I don't feed them to fatten. I feed them enough to keep them alive and hopefully their unborn fawns as well. The other item to consider is acidosis that oftentimes hits deer that are eating browse and then suddenly consume large amounts of grain. Acidosis is fatal which is why I have two types of hay available along with the limited amounts of grain. It balances out their diet. At least that's the feel good brain bug I've come up with to justify all the effort.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Questioning everything is always a good thing. When feeding deer, it's the moving from whatever they can find to the next whatever they can find through deep snow and frigid temps that saps their fat reserves. Once the fat is gone they start to consume their muscles and then they can't make the next move and die in the attempt. Deer yard up in an attempt to mitigate the caloric expenditures they'd have if they moved all over. Once I establish a "yarded" herd, I have to keep the food available. They will lose their fat reserves over time as I don't feed them to fatten. I feed them enough to keep them alive and hopefully their unborn fawns as well. The other item to consider is acidosis that oftentimes hits deer that are eating browse and then suddenly consume large amounts of grain. Acidosis is fatal which is why I have two types of hay available along with the limited amounts of grain. It balances out their diet. At least that's the feel good brain bug I've come up with to justify all the effort.
If only the game and fish could figure out that animals herd up in these conditions instead of believing it’s only because of baiting. Da da da dumb!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11