Wildlife stress

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much can they take of this cold shit...this is nuts, imagine its not good.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This cold is rough on EVERYTHING!! Man and Beast and Machine!!! The deer and other critters in my backyard are already NOT LEAVING when I do chores in the mornings and evenings. They just stand up and watch me, then lay right back down. That usually doesn't happen until late Jan or Feb. They are tearing hell outta the hay bale I put out back for them. Probably need to put another one out right after the 1st. Gonna be an expensive winter for critter feed I'm afraid.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It appears from my cameras the deer have left my food plots with bait. I assume they have all moved to town. Not sure if they will come back next week. db

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winter weakens,, spring kills.. Really hoping we can catch a break in Jan-Feb or things arent gonna be good

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah food covered up and this kind of cold will take care of a lot of birds , if it does not let up we will be back to the fall of 2017 with hardly anything around . Very tough on deer also but they do seem to withstand it better , it will take the late fawns and any weak ones for sure . Lets hope for good weather from here on out

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A noontime visitor today. The bale WAS round at one time, now....well see for yourself what deer feet can do to a bale. There is ground corn on top of the bale for the tweety birds if anyone was wondering. Enjoy!!

DSC05299.JPG

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There has been 50 to 60 pheasants feeding near town, this morning saw 3 birds hope the rest are just hold up waiting for weather change

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to get out and spray my small apple trees with deer/rabbit repellent as soon as it warms a little. Id hate to loose a bunch of trees this winter.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Global warming - my ass.

Wonder how the teslas are doing. If you have a tesla i will race you to bismarck. I will let you start out a couple ---oh hell 5 hours ahead of me.

Boomtakem

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, as a resident expert on supporting wildlife through a tough winter, can you tell us what your regiment is from December - March. Can we over feed them? What are you feeding them? Corn/Alfalfa? My understanding is that once we start we should continue through the spring?

Wife and I recently purchased a 85 acre property on the Ottertail River in Mn. 40 acres in shoreline trees and the other 40 is going into CRP in the spring. Quite a few deer around. I would like to keep the deer healthy and well fed throughout the winter.

Thanks for your guidance!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93