Winnipeg 2018

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man i need to get back up there! I haven't been in a couple years because i had kind of lost hope for a while there.

Lipripper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are all of the accesses open? Last time I was up there I used an access on the east side but am staying on the west side of the lake this year so was curious if anyone has been getting on the ice anywhere from the west or if I would be better off driving to the east side of the lake in the morning. I am hoping to just take a pickup. I don’t have much experience up there so not really sure what to expect for getting on and off the ice. Thanks

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wow, wish our trip went as well as some of yours! Nice fish!

We got up there Wednesday in time to fish for a couple hours. Nailed a 25.5" in the first 5 minutes, thought it was going to be an epic trip. Needless to say, my cousin and I only caught 2 fish the next 2 days. Took our time moving the wheelhouse out to the first ridge out of warner in the cold Thursday morning, then hopped around in the afternoon for one little walleye. Friday we hopped around all day, fished 9-18 fow and still only 1 fish for the 2 of us. Dad and uncle did a little better and my dad caught a 27" out in 16fow.
Saturday we bounced around some more and found a decent bite in 10.5fow directly north of the mouth. Dad caught a 29.5" in that spot, and had a decent amount of smaller eyes. Probably only caught 10-15% of the fish we marked, they were pretty tight lipped and most of the ones we caught we had to work for.
Sunday, after fearing another day like Thursday or Friday, we went back to the 10.5fow north of the mouth and camped there for the day. The 4 of us ended up with 35-40 fish on the day, with a 28.5" and 2 25.5" fish. Lost 3-4 bigger fish at the bottom of the holes as well. Again, probably only caught 10-15% of the marks. Tried everything in the tackle box. Best bait was the green baitball.

Travel on the lake is very rough in areas. Most of the snow drifts are rock hard though, so areas away from the rough ice is smooth travel. We came on at Warner and access is in great condition. Tons of trucks on the lake, wheels or tracks work pretty good. We had atvs, mine had tracks. I think if you wanted to access the west side but fish North or NE of the mouth, you have to hug the shoreline to get around the ridge. We didn't see anybody try to cross the ridge with a truck. Ice is over 40" thick, 12" extension was maxed out at times.

Like every other year, the lake gives us just enough to keep coming back. Can be very frustrating at times, but when that big green head comes up the hole, it makes it worth it.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
18peg.jpg
This was my 28.5" from our trip.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to be back up there next Thursday and Friday. Cant wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Are all of the accesses open? Last time I was up there I used an access on the east side but am staying on the west side of the lake this year so was curious if anyone has been getting on the ice anywhere from the west or if I would be better off driving to the east side of the lake in the morning. I am hoping to just take a pickup. I don’t have much experience up there so not really sure what to expect for getting on and off the ice. Thanks

From one of the guides up there yesterday...

With weekends seeing Lake Winnipeg becoming North Dakotas 4 largest town I thought I would give a update on whats happening up here:

Access: East side Rd 100 is good for trucks
Rd 103 good access
Prudens Creek is good for quads, sleds and
Snobears
West side Chalet and warner are both open

Ice conditions: Overall truck travel is very good. You can get stuck however in some frazzle ice or the odd drift. There are ridges and they will start popping with some warm weather. As always use caution. Ice depth is over 3ft.
Fishing: After last year we are back to normal as far as fishing goes. Lots of of big fish this year. Eaters have slacked off some lately. I think its because of the number of people out and the pods have dispersed somewhat. Guys are catching as shallow as 4 ft early in the morning and as deep as 16ft out in the mouth mid depth is doing well to. As always find the bait and you will see fish.
Last weekend there was a good bite shallow that went to crap because there were hundreds of people fishing a small area. all the traffic and comotion really killed the bite. The guides were doing well out from the mouth and lost the fish as well. Best bet is to fish the edge of those large groups even if its not your perffered spot. Usually the middle of a pack is not good.
Lures are the usual, small spoons some rattle baits. Tipping with a good salted minnow helps.
Safety: If going by truck its always best to have at least 2. Tow straps are a must along with a real shovel. I like a spade to cut thru the hard pack. A plastic snow shovel wont help a lot0
If I'm stuck or broke down honk when you drive by lol
Lee

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any updates from the weekend? based on the pics that have been coming back it must have been good one up there

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
We are headed up March 7-11, and they are now calling for a foot of snow during the few days before we go. If we can get there, we'll be fine. Just hoping we can get there.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope it works out for you. I'm heading up tomorrow night to fish thurs and fri. Supposed to be mid 30's and sunny with decent winds!

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep the moon is gonna be killer the next 7 days, come on 18+ lber!!
Oops Winnipeg thread sorry. :;:muahaha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little further west then Peck. With these nice temps it sure would be nice to be up on Winnipeg all week thou no doubt!

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading up Friday, back Sunday night. Quick trip but can't wait! Never made it last year. LOVE them emerald green backs

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been up twice this winter. I was up last weekend. Fishing has been stellar.

Ill be up next weekend again. Same time as u vollmer

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were up last weekend and hired Blackwater Cats for a couple days. Fishing was bonkers. I am going insane thinking that I have to wait until next year to go back. We had 34 fish over 24" in 2 days while fishing with Blackwater. I would highly recommend those guys. We fished a 3rd day by ourselves and added another 10 fish over 24". Over the whole trip, we had 12 masters and 4 of those over 30. Good luck to the guys heading up!

Mizzou21

Just got back last night from second trip to the Big Windy. Struggled a bit this time compared to the first trip, but still had a lot of fun and the weather was excellent. Had 2 newbies with me and they each got an MA, so that was cool. Started fishing Thursday, mar 1 and had 21 fish that day. Ran a 5-6 area pattern that was on fire 10 days earlier and just couldn't get on them very well. Our shallow bite out of prudens was very slow, and it seemed as most of our active and bigger fish came north side of the big ridge in the 12-16 foot area. We had 3 fish over 26 that day. Friday was a bit better and we ended with 24 fish total, 3 MA's and 7 fish over 26. Our best luck was a wide swath in the 15-16 foot area. Each time we moved we only caught 1 or two fish, but always had a decent one. We moved 10 times that day. I also must say i kept track on this day and was able to drill 30 holes on one battery from the strikemaster 10 inch lithium! I think the warm temps helped and was very careful to keep the batteries warm. Sorry not trying to be a commercial, but a lot of folks have asked for updates on that. Sat we fished until 10:30 before heading home. We headed back out into 16 feet right away in the morning where we had found active fish day before. We caught 15 fish and had a 24 and 26 is all. My cousin set up 50 yds away and got a 28.5 and a 30.5 so that was awesome. Had 2 other groups of friends that fish up there a ton and mentioned similar success, but one group did get an 11 and a 12! 12 feet just north of ridge was their best area. Fun trip as always, good luck to all heading up!! May get one more trip end of season if conditions are favorable. Good luck and stay safe out there!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17