Winnipeg 2018

veryslippery

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a report on travel conditions on the lake? Tracks necessary or wheels ok at t his point?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my Winnipeg trip was a total bust! Got to the border around 8:00 on Friday night and by 10:00 was headed back south. I made a mistake 14 years ago and am paying for it dearly. Due to some clerical errors at the courthouse in Moorhead I have apparently been put on probation for 22 years, not 2 and am not eligible to be deemed rehabilitated by the country of Canada. Through my research it looks like the only way to ever get in again is to apply for a Criminal Rehabilitation permit from the Canadian consulate. I had a real gem of a gal border agent and she made me sign a document stating I would never try to re-enter again without this permit or I will be arrested. Holy F'Balls is this a ton of work with an FBI fingerprint background check along with a TON of other documentation records. Anyone else ever have this issue and can possibly give a guy some input?

F Canada and go to the Colombia river.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard you can catch big fish on the river in Bis just as easy. Just pull the ice castle a little past the boat ramp.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Big bummer Crank! I was counting on you for a fishing report! lol but seriously, that sucks.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my wife's uncle was able to get out and fish. He brought his hairlip buddy with who caught a limit of fish one time, I think at a pet store. Anywho they crushed em at the mouth on East side in shallow. 5' under the ice. Ended with 2 over 30.5", 2 more 29's, and 8 more over 28". Really bummed I didn't get to go and now get to get all this documentation in order to possibly be able to go back next year. They were in a snobear so not completely sure how lake travel was as I didn't ask since fishing up there as of right now is merely a pipe dream.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the report. I've heard depths of 4fow out to 22fow the last couple weeks, nice fish coming from everywhere it seems. Im thinking we might set the wheelhouse in shallow.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard guys are driving all the way out the mouth with pickups. Would it even ben necessary right now to bring up a wheeler or snowmobile? How about the ridges?

Harris

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was up Thur-Sat. Got around pretty well with pickups. I would say if you were in a group with two pickups you should be fine. We had a few trucks get stuck, but easy enough to get pulled out. Where we were at ridges and cracks weren't really a problem crossed a few without any issues. I'm sure all this will vary depending on where u access the lake.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you buy license online now ? or is it still 2 weeks through mail or convenient store on way up ?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you buy license online now ? or is it still 2 weeks through mail or convenient store on way up ?

As far as I know they are not available online. I always stop at smoke-n-fish in selkirk (open 6am - 8pm) to get mine. I think the 59er gas station has them as well but you may want to call ahead to confirm. Pro Am in Winnipeg is good too but they are never open when we are going through there.

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crank - my dad had a DWUI back in the late 1980's and went through the application process about 10 years ago so he could be deemed "rehabilitated" and enter Canada. I helped him with the paperwork. Ridiculous, but not that bad. Here's the basics when we did it: 1) Reach out to a Canadian Consulate and ask for the paperwork (you might be able to find the documents on-line) 2) Reach out to the Court where your conviction was filed and ask for notarized documents proving that you satisfied all requirements of the sentence. If some type of "counseling" class was required, you might have to get additional documents confirming you completed the "therapy" 3) Gather said documents, as well as anything else outlined in the application (there could be something else I'm not recalling) and mail them off. You'll have to include a check too, I think it was about 200 bucks - probably more now. 4) Patiently wait. If believe the turnaround was 3-4 months. 5) When approved, they mail you some documents outlining you've been "rehabilitated" and you carry these with you next time you travel north.

We have since crossed the border a number of times without any problems.

Two caveats:

1) I think there was a time limitation e.g. the conviction has to be more than 10 or 15 years in the past before they'll consider the application. Again, probably easy to find this on-line and I'm sure the application spells it out for you.

2) This was ten years ago, maybe the process has changed a little bit. I can't say for certain. It was a mild pain in the ar$$, but worth it if you want to fish or hunt up north in the future.

Good luck. . . .

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we are doing this for a client now. what a f&cking shitshow. he has more than just a dui. but, nonetheless... serious PITA.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been thinking about heading up there again, but I know it won't be as good as the glory years and the featureless bowl makes it like playing roulette as far as where you drill your holes. Fishing has been better that last year, but I want me a teener and I haven't seen much of them. I might talk myself into it again...

iceeyes

IMG_0443.jpgIMG_0440.jpgIMG_0436.jpgIMG_0419.jpgIMG_0411.jpgIMG_0413.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Made a quick trip up this weekend and was not disappointed. Between the two of us in 2 days we iced between 15 and 20 masters and had 5 go in the 10+ lb mark. 12lber was our biggest and a 32 incher was our longest. Also got to be apart of a 14lber that our other group caught. Was one unbelievable fish.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
IceEyes,

Wow what a weekend for you guys!! That had to be cool to see a 14lber!! Have better luck on the Spoons or rattlebaits?

tommygun23

Established Member
What are ice conditions like? I’m going in a few weeks and have never been there before. How much extension will be needed and will a lazer bit work or will I need the chipper bit? Tracked 4 wheeler or wheels? I’m aware conditions can change a lot by then but any help is appreciated.

Mizzou21

Just got back today from the big windy and had a great trip for our group also. We managed 10 masters in our group, and had 5 fish over 10# and the biggest was 12.5 that was caught by a buddies 15 year old son. That was pretty awesome. Ice is thick, about 40 inches i would guess, many spots used all but 1-3 inches of my 12 inch extension before the head was touching the ice. I had a lazer bit on a StrikeMaster lithium 10 inch and it worked for well for the 3.5 days. We used all tracked machines and got around great, but there were plenty of trucks out there, you just have to pick your spots a bit better on where to drive and cross. Saw a few trucks stuck, but that is not unusual. Plenty of other trucks around that seemed willing to help, but i would bring a tow rope to be safe. Our groups averaged 25-30 fish per day, per group, but mornings were way better for us than the afternoons with the exception of yesterday, where we had good luck from 4:45-6 pm. We got on a good school in 9 feet of water and had 10 fish between 25-27.5 inches, nothing huge, but a lot of fun. Rattlebaits outproduced the other baits in our group just like ice eyes said in his post, but spoons did ok for some as well. We had several fish caught on a dam 5 of diamonds daredevil of all things!! You just never know, when they want to bite, i think they will hit most anything!! LOL . Headed back up mar 1-4. Good luck all and be safe out there!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33