winter vittles...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
More Mrs johnr time is on the menu during the cold wintertime

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You all sound like a bunch of women talking about their wardrobe, "I have more soups and casseroles during the during the cold months" Do you all wear more scarfs and flannel pj's during winter to? Haha. Just kidding, don't go getting your long underwear in a bind

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kraut buns, definitely more baked goods, lot's of canned/preserved garden goodies, knephla etc... Heavier, heartier type stuff.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You all sound like a bunch of women talking about their wardrobe, "I have more soups and casseroles during the during the cold months" Do you all wear more scarfs and flannel pj's during winter to? Haha. Just kidding, don't go getting your long underwear in a bind

Hmmm I thought we all sounded like a bunch of successful hunters, fishermen, farmers and outdoorsmen. As you may have noticed you burn a lot more calories in the winter. And you have more down time to make good stuff to eat from the stuff you killed, caught or raised.

I do indeed wear a scarf outside to help stay warm when it's below zero and in addition to flannel shirts, I have some flannel stuff to wear around the house and some warm sheepskin slippers.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
recipe please!

and thumbs up for dark beer

A few hours before I'm making this I take however many dumplings out that I think I will need to feed whoever I'm cooking for. I usually take the easy road and use the Rhodes brand dinner rolls. When they have risen I sauté some onion in a pan and when the onion is good to go I add the dumplings to the pan and add some water and a little more oil. I then cover the pans and usually try to use a pan with a glass lid so I have a chance to see what's going on. If you lift the lid before all the water is cooked off your dumplings will fall and turn into flat little rocks so don't lift the lid until the liquid is cooked off. In the meantime in an electric skillet I brown some onion in some oil and then when the onion is ready add the pheasant and grouse. When the birds are cooked through I add heavy whipping cream and warm until it's heated through without boiling the cream. When it's heated through and you're sure you've cooked the liquid off the dumplings I put however many dumplings I want on a plate along with some of the birds and spoon some of the cream over the dumplings. It's far from diet food and getting the dumplings in between flat rocks and burnt takes a little practice but it is a meal fit for a king!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same as you fellas lot more soups and chili. Making my mothers family French dip recipe with a antelope roast tommorow.!!! One of the best I've tasted little grilled bun action with pepper jack cheese. Yummmmm prolly wash it down with leftover Busch light from the trip

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes I miss the good old days when the wood stove and a cast iron kettle was our "Crock pot" in the winter. It just doesn't taste the same in the electric/ceramic crock pot but a hell of a lot easier.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same here Davy. Big old wood stove in corner of kitchen. Fresh home made bread toasting on wire rack on top of main stove. Stove served many purposes from warming up a litter of baby pigs in a wash tub, or a frost bite new born calf. Corn cobs for starting fire with a little stove fuel, then dry cottonwood or elm for main heat. Mom could bake like 8 loafs of bread at a time, or roast half a cow in there. Twas a long time ago.:)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33