Winterkill Aeration

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Attachments

20231215_213234.jpg

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Helped put an aeration system in strawberry lake in the turtle mountains in about 1972.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Helped put an aeration system in strawberry lake in the turtle mountains in about 1972.

Those were the days. 43 was still a dusty gravel road now it's a scenic highway.

Who's liable for idiots when it comes to aeration ? I put aeration in a private pond and talk about snowmobilers being a pain in the ass, they must feel like Evil Knievel or something when they ride through open water. We all know you can do it at 60 MPH but what about the poor bugger following those tracks going 20 mph ? Then when you mark it with a DANGER OPEN WATER sign it attracts dumb and dumber and all thier cousins to play in the water . So much for tourism and the expensive trail system. It's a blessing for some and a curse for others.

Jim Simmers

Established Member
https://www.kxnet.com/news/local-news/winterkill-in-lakes-what-napoleon-did-to-save-the-fish/

Found this interesting. Didn't know the locals had done that there.

Did a search and saw the NDGF fishing waters directory notes winter aeration occurs on a couple lakes.
All on the west side along the cabins on hwy 3. I think it was to preserve the shore line. As far as those other lakes I have never seen it but know those have all suffered winterkill in the past. Especially Lake 5.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those were the days. 43 was still a dusty gravel road now it's a scenic highway.

Who's liable for idiots when it comes to aeration ? I put aeration in a private pond and talk about snowmobilers being a pain in the ass, they must feel like Evil Knievel or something when they ride through open water. We all know you can do it at 60 MPH but what about the poor bugger following those tracks going 20 mph ? Then when you mark it with a DANGER OPEN WATER sign it attracts dumb and dumber and all thier cousins to play in the water . So much for tourism and the expensive trail system. It's a blessing for some and a curse for others.
There was just a few idiots in those days. Guys used to race around it in their old cars when there was keggers out there. No one ever fell in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84