Wyoming resident shed hunting head start?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been active shed hunting since the mid 1990s and in fact even spend a week each year in northern Canada doing this. Great times but do it for the fun and do not sell. Have a few thousand dollars laying on the basement floor or hanging from the wall and ceiling. (Will not make a living hunting sheds) Enjoy repairing the ate up ones. A lot of enjoyment with family and friends. Wife not as thrill but lets it be.
Did cost me $600 one time with US federal game and fish in Manitoba.

In time, i am sure some butthead in ND will decide this needs to be regulated with zones, time, amount, selling, some monies for G&F. ect. And game and fish will say they belong to them and need to protect them from ourselves. Already spots here one cannot pickup. The best of times will be behind us. db

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Living in the high country of Colorado summit County to be exact it is illegal to pickup sheds areas around lake dillion,wintering elk,state land is loaded with sheds County claims these sheds are feed for indigenous critters, mostly rodents I guess from my observation hiking whilst shore fishing.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guy told me he watch and a big deal when they open the hunting up in one of those western states. They were all lined up on foot or with some kind of vehicle and the rush is on. db

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Good for them. I have been in Jackson during shed opener and its an absolute gong show.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been active shed hunting since the mid 1990s and in fact even spend a week each year in northern Canada doing this. Great times but do it for the fun and do not sell. Have a few thousand dollars laying on the basement floor or hanging from the wall and ceiling. (Will not make a living hunting sheds) Enjoy repairing the ate up ones. A lot of enjoyment with family and friends. Wife not as thrill but lets it be.
Did cost me $600 one time with US federal game and fish in Manitoba.

In time, i am sure some butthead in ND will decide this needs to be regulated with zones, time, amount, selling, some monies for G&F. ect. And game and fish will say they belong to them and need to protect them from ourselves. Already spots here one cannot pickup. The best of times will be behind us. db
What was the US Federal Fish and Game doing in Manitoba handing out tickets?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy told me he watch and a big deal when they open the hunting up in one of those western states. They were all lined up on foot or with some kind of vehicle and the rush is on. db
Watched this event last night show called Yellowstone wardens...

Crazy ppl,camping out,some utilizing horses to cover more ground quickly.

Always a couple cheaters in the bunch

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a tv show called wardens or something in Montana and a warden put out some sheds out from the normal traffic area and put up trail cameras to catch POACHERS really what a waste of time

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched a tv show called wardens or something in Montana and a warden put out some sheds out from the normal traffic area and put up trail cameras to catch POACHERS really what a waste of time
Not really when they are running animals off wintering grounds and killing them. The shed thing has turned into a shit show.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jess Johnson is the Government Affairs Director for the Wyoming Wildlife Federation, the oldest and largest sportsmen’s advocacy and conservation organization in the state of Wyoming. She told the House Committee on Travel, Recreation, Wildlife, and Cultural Resources that she has personally happened upon sheds while hunting in the Wyoming backcountry that fetched as much as $700. “This is a problem,” Johnson said. “It’s an incentive. It’s a money maker. People are making $60,000 a year on the collection of shed antler.”

Somebody needs a towel to cry into.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
SDMF:

They were waiting for me once i cross the line. A small shed (2 points) that i had pick up off their highway up there. Found by port workers in car. Importing a big game animal. Told feds it had been in car for a time, but he said they have a video of me picking up. (right)

That was in Manitoba were we as outsider cannot pick up. However, we now go to Sask. where we can pick up and are allowed to bring a handful or two back with no permit. But as we do bring back a few hundred we do get a permit from game and fish in Denver.

Not sure what the difference was if Manitoba or Sask. for me as an America citizen but if i gave him grief the fine could be $500,000 and/or 5 years in prison. So, he says. Paid (no idea it would be that large) fine and had my day later. Was that day worth $600, well it was the best i could do.

Jess Johnson:

So you just happen to find a shed you pick up and got $700 for it. What is wrong with you? And some people do this as a money maker. My God. This needs to be stop right now. That shed belongs to natural including the one you picked up.

In time, my grandkids will not know the pleasure i have had in my life because of someone with a stupid personal agenda. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yea it was worth it and i have that all on video. db

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt usuasually I agree wholeheartedly with most of your posts but this time I have to disagree, most of my shed hunting is in March or April, and for the most part the deer don't run off in fact you could pretty much count coup on most of them as they have forgotten deer season. At least that has been my personable experience for the last 25 or so years

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not really when they are running animals off wintering grounds and killing them. The shed thing has turned into a shit show.
It’s a shit show in WY, people collecting them before the opener is a big problem because there is big $$$$ to be made. There is a reason why she’s hunting has a season and that’s for the wildlife to not be harassed. Winter is hard enough on animals. WY can implement a shed season for residents and that will just benefit one side and not fix the shit show

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt usuasually I agree wholeheartedly with most of your posts but this time I have to disagree, most of my shed hunting is in March or April, and for the most part the deer don't run off in fact you could pretty much count coup on most of them as they have forgotten deer season. At least that has been my personable experience for the last 25 or so years
In Wyoming

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kurtr:
Have no idea about Wy. but first in Canada in the 12-15 years we been there may be at most seen a couple of other people. We are deep in a very large forest. Deer do come into our camp to visit now and then but overall do not see many deer. Bear and their cubs are common with a few wolves. Normally no snow left on ground and i feel we are not putting any stress on the deer and are not there to do that. ATV in, put up camp and then walk from there on. Peaceful time.
Well, a time or two the wolves have had the heart beat faster.

Here we have about 30 sheds found this year that have been found at our food plots. Based on trail cameras the deer leave when we come up but are back a few minutes after we leave. Later on, when we walk around all the deer have left the pack by then and are scatter all over. I do not see the stress we are putting on the deer and they do enjoy our plots with the alfalfa bales.

But then i am not the deer and maybe they would prefer we leave and take our bales with us.

Monies, yes, we have been offered a few hundred dollars for various sheds, but those sheds still hang on the wall and that is where they will stay. Not what it is about. Memories of times together. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The stress of winter and coyotes has put more stress and maybe we add to that. But cannot do anything about the weather and coyotes, have about 40 coyotes laying on the ground right now. db

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
So they must not be worth anything these days? Yotes that is.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr:
Have no idea about Wy. but first in Canada in the 12-15 years we been there may be at most seen a couple of other people. We are deep in a very large forest. Deer do come into our camp to visit now and then but overall do not see many deer. Bear and their cubs are common with a few wolves. Normally no snow left on ground and i feel we are not putting any stress on the deer and are not there to do that. ATV in, put up camp and then walk from there on. Peaceful time.
Well, a time or two the wolves have had the heart beat faster.

Here we have about 30 sheds found this year that have been found at our food plots. Based on trail cameras the deer leave when we come up but are back a few minutes after we leave. Later on, when we walk around all the deer have left the pack by then and are scatter all over. I do not see the stress we are putting on the deer and they do enjoy our plots with the alfalfa bales.

But then i am not the deer and maybe they would prefer we leave and take our bales with us.

Monies, yes, we have been offered a few hundred dollars for various sheds, but those sheds still hang on the wall and that is where they will stay. Not what it is about. Memories of times together. db
Ya Wyoming is a whole different ball game. Those deer travel hundreds miles to wintering grounds. They then have to make that same trek back for summer. the conditions are way tougher than anything you see in ND and we are talking about mule deer. If only they had to worry about coyotes add in wolves, bears and lions. The stress of running them off the winter grounds early for some stupid shed antlers that you can post on instagram is stupid. This has nothing to do or even to compare to picking up whitetail sheds in the woods. a few pics of what the deer are dealing with this winter. 30 inches in the past few days.

1675785101585.png

1675785116716.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11