Yellow Trucking Gone

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW!! Yellow trucking is closing it's doors and the 30000 workers out of a job and the 12000 trucks off the roads. 99 years in business and now shutting the lights off and closing up. Not Good!! I wonder how long free shipping will be offered by amazon or any other business?

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that sucks. They were always my go to for inbound freight. They did a better job than the old Midwest company, Consolidated Freightways, or Roadway. They hauled millions of dollars of material I purchased into our warehouse. Good people. Hope they can find jobs.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that sucks. They were always my go to for inbound freight. They did a better job than the old Midwest company, Consolidated Freightways, or Roadway. They hauled millions of dollars of material I purchased into our warehouse. Good people. Hope they can find jobs.
Meanwhile, a series of heated exchanges had been building up between the Teamsters and Yellow, who sued the union in June after alleging it was "unjustifiably blocking" restructuring plans needed for the company's survival.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yellow was poorly ran was the number 1 reason--- union pay isnt what it used to be.

where is it going:

The Swift driver was backing into the highway from a rest stop when she hit a Yellow Freight truck. The Swift driver tested positive for methamphetamine.​

The court cut the amount to $15.3 million because the jury decided the driver of the Swift Transportation was only 65 percent at fault even though she was on methamphetamine.​

backing into the highway --- wtf.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yellow went down because they were crazy in debt. In the end they tried to squeeze out of their union contracts to make things work. I have no idea if the unions had outlandish demands, pensions, etc., but I know they did make some concessions to keep things afloat. I am not a union guy but I don't know that they were really at fault....crappy management at Yellow seems to have been more responsible.

We have a lot of stuff brought in on LTL trucks with the majority coming on Yellow. About a month ago Yellow shipments disappeared and were replaced by other carriers. The last shipment the driver said it was probably going to go down. He also said if Yellow disappeared, all the excess freight capacity of the industry would be gone, leading to higher prices. We will see!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW!! Yellow trucking is closing it's doors and the 30000 workers out of a job and the 12000 trucks off the roads. 99 years in business and now shutting the lights off and closing up. Not Good!! I wonder how long free shipping will be offered by amazon or any other business?

Amazon has its own plan, and that is to have Amazon trucks delivering your goods.

BTW, Amazon shipping is not the same as what Yellow carried. Almost all of Amazon over the past X+ years has shipped UPS or FedEx. Yellow was a carrier of commercial scale.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have no idea if this is reasonable, but hopefully they will stay intact and find a way out of bankruptcy. Shitty deal, but it happens all the time in corporate America.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a very close reliative that worked for yellow for 20+years. I can absolutely attest that they were ran extremely poorly. If you think the unions or biden economics did them in, you obviously have no idea. I can tell you for fact that yellow drivers actualy got paid less than their non-union competitors in recent years. When you can walk across the loading dock and get a job with a competing freight company that's non-union for more money and have better working conditions, that's a problem. Not only that, but in many cases, they would just push there freight off onto a competing company when they couldn't get it delivered or find drivers. I mean this in the most absolute literal sense. They would actually take their own freight, and because they were behind or couldn't find a driver, they would contract with a competing company to finish the delivery. I garrentee they went backwards everytime they did that, and it happened a lot. It sucks for all of the employee's, feel bad for them, but don't feel all that bad for the leadership of the company after watching how it was ran for many years.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a very close reliative that worked for yellow for 20+years. I can absolutely attest that they were ran extremely poorly. If you think the unions or biden economics did them in, you obviously have no idea. I can tell you for fact that yellow drivers actualy got paid less than their non-union competitors in recent years. When you can walk across the loading dock and get a job with a competing freight company that's non-union for more money and have better working conditions, that's a problem. Not only that, but in many cases, they would just push there freight off onto a competing company when they couldn't get it delivered or find drivers. I mean this in the most absolute literal sense. They would actually take their own freight, and because they were behind or couldn't find a driver, they would contract with a competing company to finish the delivery. I garrentee they went backwards everytime they did that, and it happened a lot. It sucks for all of the employee's, feel bad for them, but don't feel all that bad for the leadership of the company after watching how it was ran for many years.
I retired a little over 2 years ago and I remember that Yellow would have a competing freight company deliver the freight for them. We thought it was very odd at the time.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I retired a little over 2 years ago and I remember that Yellow would have a competing freight company deliver the freight for them. We thought it was very odd at the time.
Hey camper, what's this do to your pension plan with them? not sure if that's a concern or not, I'm not up on how that all works. Frankly speaking, that's my biggest concern is what happens to all of those folks currently working for them and vested and those vested and retired. I know there there's a backup federal insurance persay caled Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp (PBGC) that I believe picks up a bankrupt plan but do you still get your entire amount, or is it some %? It's been a while since I've seen anything but I recall a few years ago that there was concern with PBGC's solvency.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey camper, what's this do to your pension plan with them? not sure if that's a concern or not, I'm not up on how that all works. Frankly speaking, that's my biggest concern is what happens to all of those folks currently working for them and vested and those vested and retired. I know there there's a backup federal insurance persay caled Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp (PBGC) that I believe picks up a bankrupt plan but do you still get your entire amount, or is it some %? It's been a while since I've seen anything but I recall a few years ago that there was concern with PBGC's solvency.
I didn’t work for Yellow. I was a buyer/ product manager at a large building supply distributor who used Yellow all the time.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would he work for such a poor company for 20+ years? Especially if he could just walk across the loading dock and get a better job? There are a lot more poorly run companies out there than most people realize. My wife works for one currently, but not for long.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard alot in Bismarck too, more big business are hauling their own freight now too

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88