Zeroing .22 LR

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always been a 50yd zero for 22LR guy. For gophers that are close you just aim where the body line and the ground come together.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LOL this guy reminds me of "uncle SI" duck dynasty....couldn't get past his ugly beard.

The boxing match after uncle si was done was a great boxing match after this 22lr video was better,how many knock downs each?,fat guy could take a punch.

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I failed to see the actual comparison. Isn't it reasonable to expect a 1/2" group at 50 yds to be 1" at 100. And the same 1/2" group at 50 to be 2 in the same hole plus a possible flyer at 25 yds isn't bad. Quite honestly, and I don't shoot a lot of .22, I would have thought his grouping at 25 yd might've been better with what appeared to be a solid bolt action with more than the usual .22 scope and what should have been a solid rest. At the same time I would have fired another group at 25 to see if there is an explanation for the flyer 1/2"away from the 2 in same hole.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem solved. https://www.hawkeoptics.com/rimfire-riflescopes.html#reticles. This is a tempting scope, but I already have a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 tactical on my 22 rifle. Screenshot_20220215-075038_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
4x16 good Lord !!!!!! which nose hair are you aiming for.::: LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
CZ should shoot much better than that assuming it's being driven properly. I suspect the problem is the nut behind the trigger.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
4x16 good Lord !!!!!! which nose hair are you aiming for.::: LB

The one furthest up his nose. :) Seriously though a squirrel head at 100 yards looks awfully small on 9x. So far I have put no holes in the grain bin shooting pigeons off the top rim at 137 yards. So far -----::closerlook:::

Last edited:

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today's junky ammo is most of the troubles. Back when we shot competition we used match ammo and Anschutz rifles and targets where very small. Back when ammo shortage started I tried some of this new junk it was bad.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to use a 6x24 for prairie dogs, You can get up close and personal. I used a Rem 22-250 and where everyone was reloading for faster bullet speed I reloaded down to around 3200 fps to help keep the barrel cooler. With 52 grain ballistic tips it still would leave a pink cloud apon impact. I just had to recal. my bdc and be able to judge distance. This was before range finder were the norm. Killed a lot of prairie poodles with that rifle. Now I use the same rifle to snipe my deer during rifle season. Deers head is a large target at 200 yards. LB

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I met a local years ago on Papoose Creek in Montana that said he had shot a bull elk every year for the past hmmmm somewhere north of a half dozen. Anyway he was carrying a light barrel 22-250. I asked if he didnt buy a license this year. He said yup I get to 200 yards and shoot them in the head with this. He said he shot everything with his 22-250.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up my brother and me shared a Winchester 74 ,rear tube fed auto,don't know how many thousands of rounds went through that thing,used to spend our allowance on bricks of shells.Federal lightnings,spitfires,wildcats,yellow jackets,mini mags and Stingers.
I don't think you could find anything in our junk pit that didn't have a hole in it.Good times!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today's junky ammo is most of the troubles. Back when we shot competition we used match ammo and Anschutz rifles and targets where very small. Back when ammo shortage started I tried some of this new junk it was bad.

Agreed. It's getting to the point where a hunter needs to weigh each rd (concept revealed to me by Horsager on FBO). I surmise you watched the "bonus" vid.

I have a variety of SV rds which all seem to produce an effing flyer. I base my cheap Marlin's performance on a '96 10 shot .45cal group @ 50 with filthy Winchester T-22's. Have a 3X9 Redfield and enjoy poking out eyes. Didn't reserve enough hunting ammo and now it's like behind an M-60 in 'Nam. Certainly not as extreme but expecting a fuck-up is detrimental to marksmanship.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93