Dumpin the Dip!!

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you... I quit 5 weeks ago.. and holding in.. I eat tooth piks. My motivation is my 15 year old daughter.. damn women

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well sadly I wasn't able to stay off the Cope. I made it 8 months, then my ex told me she wanted a divorce and I caved in shortly after and still using. Divorce has been final now for a while and things are starting to go pretty good again and I've been tossing the idea around of quitting again. Just have to decide that i'm ready to give it another go. I will definitely go the Chantix route again, totally works for me as far as the withdrawal/physical side. The mental side is where I struggle the most, that's why I have to make up my mind i'm ready to quit. Good to hear that a lot of you guys are succeeding, that's encouraging.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well sadly I wasn't able to stay off the Cope. I made it 8 months, then my ex told me she wanted a divorce and I caved in shortly after and still using. Divorce has been final now for a while and things are starting to go pretty good again and I've been tossing the idea around of quitting again. Just have to decide that i'm ready to give it another go. I will definitely go the Chantix route again, totally works for me as far as the withdrawal/physical side. The mental side is where I struggle the most, that's why I have to make up my mind i'm ready to quit. Good to hear that a lot of you guys are succeeding, that's encouraging.

Another person told me once that if you have used chantix in the past, that you can't use it again in the future.... is there any truth to that do you know?

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, Doc told me I can use it again. I have found that the full dosage raises hell with me, jittery/trouble sleeping/weird dreams, so I cut it in half and it worked just fine. He also said I can take it as long as I want. Bonus info, my health insurance covers it 100%. I believe a lot of insurances will cover it 100%, along with other quitting aides.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a guy that hit a certain age and tossed the can out. A couple packs of nicotine gum and he kicked it. Stubborn, strong willed SOB though.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No, Doc told me I can use it again. I have found that the full dosage raises hell with me, jittery/trouble sleeping/weird dreams, so I cut it in half and it worked just fine. He also said I can take it as long as I want. Bonus info, my health insurance covers it 100%. I believe a lot of insurances will cover it 100%, along with other quitting aides.

Hey that sounds great......I did the same thing also with cutting the pills in half, little buggers are hard to cut though cause there so small, but the last time I used chantix I used half a pill 2x a day and about a week later i didn't even think about chew at all.... it was so nice until 9 months later I had a bad day at work, bummed a chew from a co worker and been chewing ever since.... that was 5 years ago and I'd like to quit again. Thanks for the info on the chantix and I'll have to look into it cause I don't know how many more years I got until my face falls off, I've been chewing for 16 years

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoked and chewed. Chew was waaaay more insidious to lay down.

I'm 43, haven't chewed in 20yrs and wasn't a daily user when I did. I chewed Mint Skoal long-cut. Fast-forward to Thursday, I walk into the restroom in a gas station and someone has thrown their dip into the urinal. I start to go, and there's the familiar smell of Mint Skoal. I immediately wanted a dip. I didn't want the one in the urinal, I wanted a fresh one out of a new can behind the counter. But, that's the grip it can hold on you. 20yrs later, I get a whiff of it, mixed in with all the other smells you get in a gas station bathroom, and immediately I wanted a dip. I didn't buy any but it's certainly a reminder of how powerful addiction can be.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got lucky and quit 71 plus years ago. db-2

Wallykiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit smoking cigs in 2013. If someone walks by in a parking lot burning one, my top lip will still curl up.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
The amount of nicotine you get from a chew is substantially higher than a smoke. I went to a quitting class at the first district health unit back when I was quitting and the gal teaching it had a formula for figuring it out. I go through a can every 2 days, only time I don't have a dip in is eating and sleeping. She informed me that was equal to 1 1/2-2 packs of smokes a day.

Last time I quit my lip would start quivering every so often, that was a weird feeling.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same for me. I started smoking when I was 16. Started chewing Bandits to quit smoking (brilliant I know). Didn't take long until I graduated to Copenhagen Snuff (not that sissy long cut stuff). Quit cold turkey 10 years ago and haven't pinched since. When someone cracks a can, I can smell it across the room and it instantly makes my teeth start to water. I kicked by chewing ALOT of nicotine gum. So much so that I cannot stand to chew any kind of gum whatsoever. The hardest part for me was the first month. Best way to describe it was just depressive.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20180325-211746.jpgFunny I was going to mention what a god send these things are and here is an add right on this thread.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I quit December 26th. Woke up put in a dip it didn’t taste right so I spit it out and threw the can away. Lots of gum and grinds pouches the first week but not to bad now. I think a lot of it is you have to be ready to quit and then it’s a choice everyday after. There are days when I smell it and would love to have one but that’s where it starts. It’s tough I wish everyone the best of luck with it.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I started chewing WB Cut when I was 6 years old - grandpa was deworming the horses with it and I asked him if I could try it. Went to Copenhagen in high school - turned 56 last November - I quit last year August 26th and haven't looked back. I think what helped me was neck surgery September 1st and the recovery of 6 weeks in a neck brace. I haven't even wanted to pinch since. Good luck everyone trying to quit - it is not easy at all. I am thankful I have a loving family that has helped as well.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
One grind in the a.m. and a smokey mountain wintergreen pouch in the afternoon. Been Cope free still since cancer surgery 2 years ago.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
16 years off the cigs. If I should get around someone that smokes a lot the smell off their clothes will make me want to hurl.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
never had one Doc tell me to quit, but figured it was time. Colorectal cancer is a pain in the ass!!!! L.o.l. By the way Do Not WAIT to get your colonoscopy!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31