Think Safety

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, went to New Town Sunday and met up with a friend that was staying down there, fished south.
Fish bite was slow, but managed 5 fish in the well on spinners & crawlers 10-20 fow, biggest one was around 3 lbs, few small dinks, I lost two fish, he lost two fish, both lost tackle twice, I suspect to slough shark, caught 1, he netted it. Looked to be around 5-6 lbs, he preceeds to get it out of the net by putting his finger under that gill, well at that time, the damn thing starting thrashing around, cut his finger pretty good. He thought he had a first aid kit in storage, I searched found nothing. He got a pair of socks wet the day before, so we used that to wrap the finger with. There were a few boaters around, so we asked the nearest one if they had a first aid kit, they happen to have a few things, large bandage and tape. Kiddo to the boat the helped us out, never got there names. That did the trick.

If you don't already, have a small first kit in the boat or in the tackle box, he said thats the first thing he's gonna buy when he gets into town monday. I ordered a small one for my tackle box.
You never know what you should have on the boat or on hand till the time comes that you need one and its not there. We fished from 9 am to 230 ish, said his finger was throbbing like hell so we called it a day. I know whats thats like, I cut my finger pretty bad once that required 5 stitches, not fun, so I felt his pain. I checked with him later in the evening, just a bad cut, no stitches required, cleaned it out and re bandaged it.

Have a good day everybody:;:thumbsup

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
A small first aid kit that fits in the glove box is a must have in my opinion. A triple antibiotic to put in the kit as well. Infections suck and a are almost inevitable after digging around in crawlers and leeches all day with an open cut. Funny how something as small as a band aid to close up an open cut can make or break a day on the water

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a roll of duct tape and electrical tape in my boat. Also known as a man bandaid.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also carry a hook cutting tool ( brand new and sharp ) along with my first aid kit.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
about fifteen years ago about 9:30 PM we were just finishing up fishing on darling. caught a 2lb eye on a crank. while unhooking it he when to flipping around and ran the hook through the first nuckle on my pointer finger. Hurt like hell. Had my cousin unhook the crank and I held it in place so it wouldn't wiggle around while I drove back to Minot. went to the ER and had to have the hook cut off the treble and they pushed it through. It was a struggle to get it through. Well it healed great. A month later I was fishing the hook and we ran all the way down to independence. Sure as hell thirty minutes later the same thing happened to the same finger lol. I didn't want to go in so I had my buddy cut the hook off and I was just going to fish the rest of the day with it barely sticking out. It was was deep. But I kept snagging it on stuff and it sucked. So I dug out another pliars and told him when I pushed it through to grab it and pull it out the rest of the way. I had to push for all I was worth. I would start to turn the skin white where it wanted to come out. He would start gagging and look the other way. Finally I pushed it through and he had all he could do to pull it out without throwing up lol. After it was out it was like it never happened.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a first aid kit at Walmart that's about 6"×6" and about 2" deep. Fits nicely in the glove box of the boat. Also vacuum sealed a few larger supplies(gauze, tape, ace bandage) and keep that in one of the storage compartments. I think there is a heavy duty did cutter in there too for cutting hooks. Better check, can't remember.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few bandaid s, tape and super glue. Sunscreen, bug spray, and a pack of matches also ride in the jockey box of the boat.
bald heads attract sun

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you put your first aid kit in your boat be sure to remember where it is stowed. as we learned 2 weeks ago. Had to use a rag and found it last week buried in a locker.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have anything in the boat but I keep bandaids sunscreen and electrical tape in the pickup.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also not a bad idea to keep an Epipen or even just a bottle of Benadryl. Been meaning to get them for my pickup at least. I have zero known allergies, don't even get mosquito bites, but ya never know when a person could be having some issues. Had a guy out this year have a bee fall into his leathers riding his Harley and somebody just happened to have a pen in his glove box. Without it he probably wouldn't have made it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also not a bad idea to keep an Epipen or even just a bottle of Benadryl. Been meaning to get them for my pickup at least. I have zero known allergies, don't even get mosquito bites, but ya never know when a person could be having some issues. Had a guy out this year have a bee fall into his leathers riding his Harley and somebody just happened to have a pen in his glove box. Without it he probably wouldn't have made it.

I had a buddy, who is very allergic to bees, fiddling around with his epipen and some how, accidently, managed to inject it right through his thumbnail. He said he doesn't think he has ever felt pain like that before...haha

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a "family" size first aid kit and 2 small fire extinguishers in my boat. I carry a survival kit in the day pack while hunting that includes a couple pair of latex gloves, 4 field dressing, 2 blood clot sponges, small first aid kit, matches and tender, space blanket along with other overnight survival stuff. I'm use to hunting in the mountains in MT about 30 miles NW of Yellowstone. Nearest hospital is about a 3 hour drive once your on a road. The only cell service is in 1 spot on top of the mountain that has a good enough signal to text with.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88