Do you process your own deer?

• Yes

Votes: 117 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 10.0%

• Total voters

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You will may get your steaks back but anything that gets ground is made in bulk in most places. It would take them a long time to make 10 lbs of sticks and 25 lbs of sausage and 10 lbs of jerky for each customer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet off-season helps

I can’t imagine they make much money doing 10 lb batches - it’s a PITA at home!

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like to do my own as it's become a family time to get together and make sausage.(and I know what's in it) Lots of laughs, old time rock and roll and plenty of drinks. My kids like to make their own flavors and experiment so we end up with about 3-4 different kinds of sausage. At the end of the weekend, we are tired of sausage for sure and they load up coolers of their favorites and head for home. The only time it sucks for me is when the kids hunt and hang and have to get back for work and old dad is home cutting and trimming deer. Not my favorite job by far. :;:help
My wife worked for a local grocery store that processed a ton of deer for deer season. They kept all orders separate and made sure it was done right. The end product was good and was what everyone brought in. No batching or anything like that. I'm sure some probably do but I bet there is plenty that are still fussy.
Great time of year!

Fish On!

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do all my own, in all my years of hunting have never paid anything for deer being processed at all. There is very little that me and my dad do together, he doesn't hunt or fish, but since I talked them into letting me get a bow at 14 we have made sausage every year for 35+ we have made sausage expect the year I was deployed for military duty. If I didn't get a deer we still made pork sausage. Dad made sausage on the farm and it has become the only tradition I do with him. So as long as my dad is around and at all able this will continue, but at this point I do most of the stuff and he makes sure I am doing it correctly. I remember when we were allowed multiple rifle tags and I would have been broke if I took all those deer in for processing. I have always considered it part of the hunt. dukgnfsn

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Process my own. I have grinder stuffer. I do take trimmings in sometimes to make sausage

- - - Updated - - -

"Why do you drink?"
"TO GET DRUNK!"
"And why do you roll smokes?"
"TO GET STONED!"
"Why must you live out/the songs that you wrote?"

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you process your own deer. Cus it's a family tradition

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of processing, where do you guys get your burger bags and is there a trick to it?

- - - Updated - - -

Yah. Maybe you’re right. With game laws as they are though, I’m not sure why they’d cut corners. Maybe trading isn’t considered selling.

I get supplies from lem. We use the stuffer to fill bags the the little tape deal they sell to tape them .

All my seasoning are from Owens BBQ they are the best I have had.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Process my own. I have grinder stuffer. I do take trimmings in sometimes to make sausage

- - - Updated - - -

"Why do you drink?"

"TO GET DRUNK!"nd why do you roll smokes?"
"TO GET STONED!"

- - - Updated - - -

BOCEPHUS RULES. Don't make song like that anymore.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

"Why do you drink?"
"TO GET DRUNK!"
"And why do you roll smokes?"
"TO GET STONED!"

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, you gotta love Hank Jr.;:;bowdown Saw him in 1979. Winnipeg Horse Track.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always cut and wrap my deer, antelope, javalina and usually elk on the kitchen table. Last couple of years haven't been so good so I had my elk processed but looking forward to doing it myself in 18 if I get drawn.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cutting up my buck today. Back strap and fried taters with white onions out of my own garden. Don't get no better. P.S. creamed white sweetcorn too.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do all mine from field to table.

The vacuum sealer units have been a blessing, I hated wrapping and ziplocks just wasted meat from freezer burn. Helps also that I spent over 20 years in the meat packing industry lol so there is no such thing as a dull knife at my house.

dug out some of last years ground deer the other day and have 10 lbs of jalapeno sticks (50/50 pork/deer) in the fridge and 5 lbs of jerky in oven and dehydrator. got 5 lbs more to make jerky with in fridge, cooked up the ribs last weekend in the crock pot. cut up an onion, added a big splash of Worcestershire sauce, another of soy sauce, some Kitchen Bouquet and beef bullion. couldn't tell it wasn't beef short ribs.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised at poll results. I still think most hunters take them in to a shop, just not this fine collection of hunters this site attracts.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm surprised at poll results. I still think most hunters take them in to a shop, just not this fine collection of hunters this site attracts.

Yup, I agree with you. Most hunters up here are surprised that not only do I kill, gut and skin my game I also cut, wrap and freeze them.

I was talking with my buddy that processes game, he said they had 13 guys so far this fall bring in game that not only needed skinning BUT gutting too. WOW!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twice in my life I took deer in to be cut and wrapped when I just didn't have time and I wasn't impressed. As much as I love venison, I don't like gamey tasting meat and the butcher shops cut the meat with bone in so the wild tasting bone marrow ruins the taste for me. For those that cut their deer up with bones in, Debone a couple steaks before cooking and try a side by side comparison once.

Bone in venison roast is absolutely disgusting to me but deboned is good vittles.

Turtle

I believe that has to do with bone rot, it takes a lot to cool down a deer. Especially when we have warm season. It is true butcher shops cut everything with the bone, it's faster. You are ok to bring meat before rifle season, you should get your meat back. But once season starts it gets weighed and thrown in a big bin. I threw in beautiful trimmed venison and nasty crapped covered meat right after it. I hated it, so I quit, I loved the job but the practice of the owner was terrible. We even switched custom beef with meat in the counter. One season we threw in old deli turkey and hotdogs in with deer sausage. I'm not saying every shop does that, but everybody should know never trust another man with your own meat.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think their diet has a lot to do with it too, The year I remember most it was freezing cold when we shot both deer the same day and I hung skinned then gutted them with care and they froze solid right away and I couldn't do anything with them. I had learned my lesson by the time I got them in the door at the butcher shop.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that has to do with bone rot, it takes a lot to cool down a deer. Especially when we have warm season. It is true butcher shops cut everything with the bone, it's faster. You are ok to bring meat before rifle season, you should get your meat back. But once season starts it gets weighed and thrown in a big bin. I threw in beautiful trimmed venison and nasty crapped covered meat right after it. I hated it, so I quit, I loved the job but the practice of the owner was terrible. We even switched custom beef with meat in the counter. One season we threw in old deli turkey and hotdogs in with deer sausage. I'm not saying every shop does that, but everybody should know never trust another man with your own meat.

Do you work at Dan's now? I know I have heard simular stories before.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do all of our as well. Dad used to take his In To get done many moons ago. About the time I started hunting is when we started doing it ourselves.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33