The "NEW" SB 2315 - Pucker Up Buttercup!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The data based system isn't a bad idea but until it's developed and tested to be workable this is not a good solution. Possible solution - yes, but not until it's developed. Kind of like education rules that came down from the federal government. Too much "Research shows this and not enough Reality shows this." Develop it before adopting it.

dank

I think we as sportsman have to concede that the time has come to accept the overhaul to our trespassing/private access laws.

Let's accept it is PRIVATE land that someone else is paying taxes on. The fact that the burden is on landowners to restrict access as opposed to placing the burden on sportsman to gain access seems unbalanced.

Any of these proposals that dictate the need to create committees, force expenditures down state departments throats, and place our state government as the conduit to which we have to check with in order to confirm the access status of private lands are downright ludicrous. Any change should be black and white so that it doesn't take a bunch of government management to execute. No buying signs for landowners, no state run databases, and no useless oversight committees.

It does not mean the end to hunting in our state, nor does it equate to the closure of access to all private lands. Yes, things will change and perhaps it will get more difficult, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look down the road and see where this is going. Unlike the day's of plat books 30 years ago, I can find out who owns just about any parcel of land in the state on my cell phone in minutes. I can then find a phone number to start tracking down who grants access in nearly no time at all. I simply don't see good reasons anymore to make any part of the process more cumbersome for the landowner or the state when it is we, the sportsmen, who are getting the benefit. The more we fight battles on grounds that are shaky at best, the more we will turn groups away from conservation and from reasonable compromise. The more we fight the inevitable, the more likely we are going to end up with one of these BS "compromise" bills that doesn't address the problem and will only cost money that will have to come from somewhere.

I think the sportsmen groups and the sportsmen as individuals have a golden opportunity to be the champions for this change. I want trespassers to get their asses handed to them because of the lengths that I go to to ensure that I myself am not trespassing. Every time an a-hat gets away with trespassing, it hurts us all. Even though I believe that the constant tearing down of posted signs is a bit of a myth, we can prevent that by not even requiring them. If we can accept to work through a little bit of change on our side, we can make the system a whole lot better for everyone.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice fatalistic rendition dank. Did you get that language from a manifesto of some kind? I think I'll just say NO to your suggestion and keep fighting stupidity at any level. Thanks!!

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dank has clearly never searched for landowner contact info, it is not as easy as he thinks it is

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dank has clearly never searched for landowner contact info, it is not as easy as he thinks it is

Our land was purchased from an heir who lives somewhere in Iowa who had never been to ND. This was 3 years ago and it still shows up as his father’s name on the OnX app, even though I’ve contacted them to change it. They said it’s only updated whenever that particular license of tax info gets out to them. That alone makes me think that our state’s (lowest bidding developer) app will be a nightmare.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our land was purchased from an heir who lives somewhere in Iowa who had never been to ND. This was 3 years ago and it still shows up as his father’s name on the OnX app, even though I’ve contacted them to change it. They said it’s only updated whenever that particular license of tax info gets out to them. That alone makes me think that our state’s (lowest bidding developer) app will be a nightmare.

Amen

dank

Nice fatalistic rendition dank. Did you get that language from a manifesto of some kind? I think I'll just say NO to your suggestion and keep fighting stupidity at any level. Thanks!!

No manifestos and had to even google the word "fatalistic". Just a reflection of what my experiences of hunting this state and other states has been over the last 25 years. If the desire to hop out of a vehicle in order to shoot a coyote, deer, duck, pheasant, or squirrel is more important than showing some basic courtesy to landowners then we shall agree to disagree. If you wish to continue to place the burden of action on those providing access rather than on those requesting it, we shall agree to disagree. If you believe that these changes will forever destroy our hunting heritage, again... agree to disagree.

I respect the heck out you KDM. I know you are an active member of the outdoor community and I get the sense you do things for the "right reasons". I'm certainly not an agent of the NDFB or ND Stockmens and if you were to look back at my posting history you'd see that a lot of what I have posted on this site is to refute the "half-truths" and biased commentary from gst and others who like to spin the reality of ag for their benefit.

I can understand resistance to such a change but I'd argue that things have already changed. Access is much less available now versus 20 years ago. Habitat more sparse than it has been in the recent past. Government spending on conservation programs is harder and harder to come by. If you are in an area that has decent habitat for any notable game, then in all likelihood it's all but posted up anyway. Sportsmen are already being forced to do more research, make more phone calls, and spend more time for due diligence in order to have a successful hunt. For sportsman to throw out the "compromise" of giving their approval for all private lands isn't much of a compromise at all since most of the places I hunt in ND are 80%+ posted anyway.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
SB 2315 came out of the Ag Committed with a 5-1 Do Pass recommendation and passed the Senate with a 28-18 vote. Time to focus on our Representatives.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can find out who owns just about any parcel of land in the state on my cell phone in minutes. I can then find a phone number to start tracking down who grants access in nearly no time at all.

This is probably one of the biggest exaggerations I have ever read. It currently is very difficult to find a working phone number for many of the posted fields I have tried to gain access to. To say that it takes nearly no time at all to track down a phone numbers is a straight up lie. It will only be worse to find the contacts if the state goes to this app or if they making all land automatically posted. At least now we can look on a posted sign to see who posted the land and in very rare occurrences put their number on the sign.

It’s not time to drastically change our current laws and it doesn’t have to be a matter of time. The voters hold the future of the laws in ND and I can tell you that a majority of them do not want this law changed as it is proposed.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
BS. Time to focus on the House. There is far more Urban representatives in that chamber than the senate. Let's show them where the votes lie. Start contacting them now.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately dank, this isn't going to end up a compromise if it passes the house regardless of who's at the table. It will end up being a polarizing event that irrevocably separates landowners from non-landowner sportsmen. Essentially a clash of titans with the ever shrinking population of landowners and the ever growing urban masses of sportsmen. I'm both sportsman and landowner so I lose both ways in this deal if it passes the house. I hope this fails in the house as it's not good for anyone in ND.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Habitat more sparse than it has been in the recent past. Government spending on conservation programs is harder and harder to come by.

You can thank the same groups who support this bill for less government spending on conservation. The NDFB doesn’t want to conservation to be any part of the farm bill. They don’t want the competition for land between them and conservation. Laws like 2315 will only booster support for more land being put into conservation. There is also no reason non profits are not allowed to buy land to put it into conservation. I cannot start a non profit hunting club in ND and buy land for members to hunt on. This is barred by JD law because it in the best interest of farmers and farmers alone. Not only does the NDFB not want conservation mandates they also do not want any public land. They want everything to be privately owned so how is that good for sportsmen. Idaho has seen what happens when the public has their access to public lands taken away.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time to start pushing for more conservation in this state. Farm groups just flushed cooperation down the toilet.

- - - Updated - - -

You can thank the same groups who support this bill for less government spending on conservation. The NDFB doesn’t want to conservation to be any part of the farm bill. They don’t want the competition for land between them and conservation. Laws like 2315 will only booster support for more land being put into conservation. There is also no reason non profits are not allowed to buy land to put it into conservation. I cannot start a non profit hunting club in ND and buy land for members to hunt on. This is barred by JD law because it in the best interest of farmers and farmers alone. Not only does the NDFB not want conservation mandates they also do not want any public land. They want everything to be privately owned so how is that good for sportsmen. Idaho has seen what happens when the public has their access to public lands taken away.

Exactly! When was the last time a new WPA or state game area was created? Time for sportsman to start watching out for themselves since the farm lobby could care less. They see us as a thorn in their side. Let me be clear, the frustration isnt with landowners here....its with the loud farm groups. Farm Bureau, Farmers Union, Corn Growers, Grain Growers, Soybean Growers..and now STOCKMANS. They all have a group!!! What do hunters have?!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps its time to repeal the farm residency exemption for property taxes as well. Wonder what the NDFB stance is on that.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those are the same groups who block absolutely every single project in this state that provides more opportunities for habitat and public acccess for hunting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time to start pushing for more conservation in this state. Farm groups just flushed cooperation down the toilet.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! When was the last time a new WPA or state game area was created? Time for sportsman to start watching out for themselves since the farm lobby could care less. They see us as a thorn in their side. Let me be clear, the frustration isnt with landowners here....its with the loud farm groups. Farm Bureau, Farmers Union, Corn Growers, Grain Growers, Soybean Growers..and now STOCKMANS. They all have a group!!! What do hunters have?!

there is this 22000 acre ranch this spring added to plots not a wpa or state game area but is an answer to your question kind of

https://muledeer.org/mule-deer-foundation-spearheads-plots-addition/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33