Calling coyotes in the spring?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering if anyone has done much of it.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried past April 1 for a number of reasons:
-It’s time to start fishing
-Roads / access can be a muddy mess
-Seems like it’s always windy
-Mosquitos
-I might feel bad shooing a mom…wondering if I just left some pups to starve.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't target them in the spring but if I see one that is shootable it is going to get shot. Coyotes like to eat fawns I would rather one fawn survive than a couple coyote pups.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done May and June a few times. My best spots are down by the river on prairie dog towns. I have a spot where in August I called in 4 pups, two different years. I suspect it was the same mother. Very cool watching pups hunt prairie dogs as a group. I didn't kill any of them at that time.

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never tried spring but I hear June can be pretty good for callin.

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
To add one more to your list:
-they aint worth a lick on a di..

as much i "used" to strongly hate them back when the deer herd started going to hell, i now truly enjoy giving them their time to mate and lay the hammer down on em starting in the fall all throughout the winter.. Sadly enough in some eyes, ive grown to greatly respect this specie and no longer view them as strictly as a nuisance/detriment to the deer herd.. Outsmarting them is just wayyyyy too much fun when it happens!! As odd is it may sound, i would now give up my deer tag for life to be able to consistently call a healthy statewide population of them each and every year.. My rifles will take quanity over quality at this point, and i will take months over weeks in the field with them. Maybe 4-6 of us just have too much fun with them from oct-march..

coyotetrapper

Founding Member
Founding Member

as much i "used" to strongly hate them back when the deer herd started going to hell, i now truly enjoy giving them their time to mate and lay the hammer down on em starting in the fall all throughout the winter.. Sadly enough in some eyes, ive grown to greatly respect this specie and no longer view them as strictly as a nuisance/detriment to the deer herd.. Outsmarting them is just wayyyyy too much fun when it happens!! As odd is it may sound, i would now give up my deer tag for life to be able to consistently call a healthy statewide population of them each and every year.. My rifles will take quanity over quality at this point, and i will take months over weeks in the field with them. Maybe 4-6 of us just have too much fun with them from oct-march..

I agree!!! Coyotes are a great challenge sometimes. I never really understood them until I started trapping. My trap line sure helped me figure out better spots to call during the winter months.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member

i dunno about giving up my deer tags! buuut.. this past winter i have gotten into the snaring and calling of fur in a lot more and its a rush man, my favorite is a full moon, out all night long nobody on the road to bug you, love that time of night, there were a couple full moons where i took my morning off and would be out til 4:30 in the morning trying to trick some of them to coming into me all on my own, couldnt ask for a more peaceful outdoors experience with a full moon and no clouds! needless to say, i get where you are coming from and i definitely agree, hoping for lots more action next winter, i went from a hardcore ice fisherman to just going out a handfull of times all in one year because of those buggars! im hooked for sure!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone been able to bring any down with their bow? I told my cousin that I wanted to arrow one and he thought I was crazy! :;:huh

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone been able to bring any down with their bow? I told my cousin that I wanted to arrow one and he thought I was crazy! :;:huh

I have. Usually have many opportunities each year. They are much harder than deer; they are aware of everything and it is very hard getting drawn on them. My best bowkilled coyote was from on top of a ledge, watching a coyote chase a rabbit down on the river bottom. Rabbit ran through an opening at about 65 yards. The coyote knew I was there so didn't immediately follw. Finally he couldn't take it and followed the rabbit. He hits the opening and stops, like he was thinking 'oh shit', he'd remembered I was still present. My arrow was on its way. Wish I had it on video.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
i went from a hardcore ice fisherman to just going out a handfull of times all in one year because of those buggars! im hooked for sure!

yeessssir hear ya loud and clear there, i went from ice fishing as much as i possibly could to doing it ONE time in the last 3-4 years, but thats what took my paps 3 years ago and calling coyotes is now what decoying mallards and honks was to me 10 years ago..love every single minute of it even on the bad days out there solo! Thumbs Up

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

A family friend of ours stuck one at 19 yards last year while sitting in a ground blind for deer. He had his go pro on so I got to see the video. Pretty cool!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate to shoot them now and would rather get them next year but with calving starting we shot 4 yesterday and 3 more today right in the feed lot, kind of weird with all of the rodents out now but they love that after birth.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to shoot them while out seeding. They follow the tractor looking for mice while seeding and don't have a care in the world it seems like. And KABOOM! I get a kick out of it every time. leave the tractor idled up a bit, jump out, lay down, and goodnight mother tittysprinkles!

badland mule

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to shoot them while out seeding. They follow the tractor looking for mice while seeding and don't have a care in the world it seems like. And KABOOM! I get a kick out of it every time. leave the tractor idled up a bit, jump out, lay down, and goodnight mother tittysprinkles!

With autosteer and a back window that opens that would be a fun game.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74