Power Pro, Fire Line or ???

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right now I am using Power Pro. The 2 guys I fish mostly with one uses Fire Line and the other uses Power Pro.

What is your preference??? The wife still uses Mono.:confused:

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power Pro for me. I can usually go for 3 or 4 seasons on a spool. Doesn't deteriorate as fast as fireline.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use PP on all my rods. Never had good luck with fire line seemed like it would always fray.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fireline casts well, and it's tough without question, but I don't like how it has so much memory and it definitely frays plenty fast.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a use for every line out there

long cast jigging for walleye I use nanofil It will cast a mile, no stretch, and sensitive, but nanofil is not very abrasion resistant and will break easy if nicked by teeth, scales, or rocks

Long repetitive casting for big pike or bass I use Suffix 832 its as tough as power pro but a bit smoother thru the guides so I get a bit more distance, but it is more expensive.

super clear water with finicky walleyes I use suffix fluorocarbon, it disappears in the water but doesn't cast as far and not quit as strong, however it is more abrasion resistant.

basic jigging and riggin I use 10lb power pro, its just a good all around line.

With top shots for rocky areas or sharp skinned critters like tarpon, gar, or sharks I use mono because it is abrasion resistant and it has stretch for shock absorption for the violent fighters like salmon & tarpon to keep the hooks from tearing out.

every line has its place, and sometimes you even have to combine them to get the best of both worlds.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run PP 10/2 on most of my stuff. I do have a few spools wound up with flourocarbon if I find myself in super clear water or have some other legitimate reason to swap.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've tried all the braided line to a big extent. Bought some Cabelas Rip Cord SI last spring and it's the best stuff I've used yet. They have it on a killer sale right now so I bought a 1000 foot roll.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fireline is junk in my opinion, just hate the stuff. Was a big user of PowerPro for quite a while, but have now switched to Suffix 832...real smooth and round and doesn't pick up as much water as PP. This is especially important musky fishing in the late fall when you're fishing in freezing temperatures.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have mono on my jigging rod. Not a fan of it. I think its back to braid with a fluoro leader. I haven't run PP on anything but it might be in the basket the next time I'm at scheels. Ran suffix a couple times while ice fishing and wasn't a fan of the memory.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run PP 10/2 on most of my stuff. I do have a few spools wound up with flourocarbon if I find myself in super clear water or have some other legitimate reason to swap.

This is me as well. 10/2 with a floro leader is how I roll on a normal outing.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! I use the smallest BLACK barrel swivel I can find and attach a 3 ft section of 10 lb vanish floro. The floro busts before the PP so I only lose at most a 3 ft piece of line instead of the MILES AND MILES AND MILES of mono that seem to clog up the fishing spots where guys break off 30 yards at a whack when they get hung up. I even watched a guy use a pocket knife to cut his line when he got hung up and he got hung up every minute or so. Holy Crap did he leave line in the water. I think he must go through 3000 yards of line a week. When he left I went over to his spot and fished out an entire pocket full of his line by just pulling on the line. Scored about 6 or so jigs in perfect condition to boot. Yea Me!!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually run a fluoro leader but I used a modified albright (alberto) knot. I don't like the way the swivel sounds smacking into the top guide.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't either, so that's why I stop reeling before it gets there. (Grin) I started to use the albright knot as well, but I found that retieing to a swivel is much faster than tying an albright, especially in the dark. Also, the floro separated from the pp much more often than separating at the jig head so I found I was tying 3 ft leaders about as often as I was tying on a jig so I just stuck with the swivel. I do crash the swivel into the tip guide a couple times an outing though and it makes me cringe every time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76